PDA

View Full Version : Running underground lines to new satellite

Billy
June 28th 03, 06:46 PM
I'm installing pole-mount installation for a new sat. The wires will
be run underground (direct burial rated) but will still most likely
be put inside 1" PVC to protect them from edgers and shovels.

How many wires should I run, considering current and future
requirements. I am thinking six....4 to be used now and 2 extra for
an additional sat someday?

I think Dish and Directv both have HDTV plus normal channels
supportable with a single dish, and I can get internet through cable
modem or DSL, so I don't know that I would ever need the extra two.

But I only want to do this once.....

gnesspor
June 28th 03, 08:21 PM
I would run six. Three duals would be perfect.

Like you say, you only want to do this once.

Get the best coax available, also.

Make damn sure your conduit is sealed -- any water trapped in there will rot
those cables.

"Billy" > wrote in message
> I'm installing pole-mount installation for a new sat. The wires will
> be run underground (direct burial rated) but will still most likely
> be put inside 1" PVC to protect them from edgers and shovels.
>
> How many wires should I run, considering current and future
> requirements. I am thinking six....4 to be used now and 2 extra for
> an additional sat someday?
>
> I think Dish and Directv both have HDTV plus normal channels
> supportable with a single dish, and I can get internet through cable
> modem or DSL, so I don't know that I would ever need the extra two.
>
> But I only want to do this once.....

Zoyburg
June 28th 03, 08:40 PM
Six wires will cover every reasonable case. Four wires will cover
most cases (even with 3 sats, Dish only needs 3 wires with DishPro).
If you install 2 DishPro dishes & a HDTV DTV dish, you'll need 7 wires,
assuming you're simultaneously subscribing to both.

"Billy" > wrote in message ...
> I'm installing pole-mount installation for a new sat. The wires will
> be run underground (direct burial rated) but will still most likely
> be put inside 1" PVC to protect them from edgers and shovels.
>
> How many wires should I run, considering current and future
> requirements. I am thinking six....4 to be used now and 2 extra for
> an additional sat someday?
>
> I think Dish and Directv both have HDTV plus normal channels
> supportable with a single dish, and I can get internet through cable
> modem or DSL, so I don't know that I would ever need the extra two.
>
> But I only want to do this once.....

Bebop
June 28th 03, 09:52 PM
Billy > wrote:

> I'm installing pole-mount installation for a new sat. The wires will
> be run underground (direct burial rated) but will still most likely
> be put inside 1" PVC to protect them from edgers and shovels.
>
> How many wires should I run, considering current and future
> requirements. I am thinking six....4 to be used now and 2 extra for
> an additional sat someday?
>
> I think Dish and Directv both have HDTV plus normal channels
> supportable with a single dish, and I can get internet through cable
> modem or DSL, so I don't know that I would ever need the extra two.
>
> But I only want to do this once.....

Just to be safe put a piece a rope in the pipe incase more cables are
needed later. When you wanted to add another cable tie one end and pull
it through.

Uncle Peter
June 29th 03, 02:11 PM
"Bebop" > wrote in message ...
> Billy > wrote:
>
> > Just to be safe put a piece a rope in the pipe incase more cables are
> needed later. When you wanted to add another cable tie one end and pull
> it through.

From experience, you will need to use something much larger than
1" PVC for 6 lines. Try going to at least 2", and having a pull line
in place is also excellent advice, as is using sweep Ls.

Pete

Billy
June 29th 03, 04:54 PM
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:52:41 GMT, (Bebop) wrote:
>Just to be safe put a piece a rope in the pipe incase more cables are
>needed later. When you wanted to add another cable tie one end and pull
>it through.

The wire unfortunately will not be run in a straight line, so this is
not possible. I am adding on to an existing installation, but can't
splice into the existing PVC so there will be a small section with the
wire exposed.

Tim Addington
June 30th 03, 02:01 PM
I did this many years ago and went with 5 RG6 + 1 14-2. I crammed it all in
a 1 1/2" pipe. This was before Dish 500, so I only needed 119 and 61.5.

The 5th coax and power were so I could run a cable back up from the switch
to the dish and plug in a receiver and tv to point the dish at the top of
the hill. This turned out to be the best idea I ever had.

Of course, in retrospect it would have been nice to have run 7 RG6 cables.
When 500 came along, I got rid of the 61.5 dish. Now, there are a couple of
locals and psudeo HD channels out there that I may be interested in, but not
enough to dig the whole thing up and run additional cables. I suspect that
if I get very serious about HD, I'll just switch back over to cable.

"Zoyburg" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Six wires will cover every reasonable case. Four wires will cover
> most cases (even with 3 sats, Dish only needs 3 wires with DishPro).
> If you install 2 DishPro dishes & a HDTV DTV dish, you'll need 7 wires,
> assuming you're simultaneously subscribing to both.
>
> "Billy" > wrote in message
> > I'm installing pole-mount installation for a new sat. The wires will
> > be run underground (direct burial rated) but will still most likely
> > be put inside 1" PVC to protect them from edgers and shovels.
> >
> > How many wires should I run, considering current and future
> > requirements. I am thinking six....4 to be used now and 2 extra for
> > an additional sat someday?
> >
> > I think Dish and Directv both have HDTV plus normal channels
> > supportable with a single dish, and I can get internet through cable
> > modem or DSL, so I don't know that I would ever need the extra two.
> >
> > But I only want to do this once.....

Zoyburg
July 1st 03, 08:31 AM
Just switch over to DishPro LNBs (and compatible receivers). Then you'll
only need 3 wires. Either that, or just locate the switch(es) where the
dishes are.

I like the idea of running power to the dish location; but for most people,
an extension cord would do fine. The extra coax isn't really essential to
aim the dishes, since you could just plug the receiver straight in to the LNB
for aiming purposes.

"Tim Addington" > wrote:
> I did this many years ago and went with 5 RG6 + 1 14-2. I crammed it all in
> a 1 1/2" pipe. This was before Dish 500, so I only needed 119 and 61.5.
>
> The 5th coax and power were so I could run a cable back up from the switch
> to the dish and plug in a receiver and tv to point the dish at the top of
> the hill. This turned out to be the best idea I ever had.
>
> Of course, in retrospect it would have been nice to have run 7 RG6 cables.
> When 500 came along, I got rid of the 61.5 dish. Now, there are a couple of
> locals and psudeo HD channels out there that I may be interested in, but not
> enough to dig the whole thing up and run additional cables. I suspect that
> if I get very serious about HD, I'll just switch back over to cable.
>
> "Zoyburg" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Six wires will cover every reasonable case. Four wires will cover
> > most cases (even with 3 sats, Dish only needs 3 wires with DishPro).
> > If you install 2 DishPro dishes & a HDTV DTV dish, you'll need 7 wires,
> > assuming you're simultaneously subscribing to both.
> >
> > "Billy" > wrote in message
> > > I'm installing pole-mount installation for a new sat. The wires will
> > > be run underground (direct burial rated) but will still most likely
> > > be put inside 1" PVC to protect them from edgers and shovels.
> > >
> > > How many wires should I run, considering current and future
> > > requirements. I am thinking six....4 to be used now and 2 extra for
> > > an additional sat someday?
> > >
> > > I think Dish and Directv both have HDTV plus normal channels
> > > supportable with a single dish, and I can get internet through cable
> > > modem or DSL, so I don't know that I would ever need the extra two.
> > >
> > > But I only want to do this once.....

Jeffrey C Honig
July 21st 03, 03:03 PM
The best place to mount Dishes on my property was on the side of an
old woodshed (which is now a dog kennel). I buried two lengths of
RG-6 in 1" black plastic water pipe. In retrospect, I should have
buried more in a larger pipe. The black plastic pipe is fairly
flexible, I clamp it to the wall on either side, although I'm sure
there is water in it, the cable is safe from rocks and shovels.

When I first put it in I had just a 119 LNB. Later I converted to a
SW-42 when I added a 61.5 dish. Even later I converted to a SW-64
adding 110. I started to have switch problems a couple of years ago,
my longest total run is well over 150'

Recently I converted to DishPro LNBs and a SW-34 when I upgraded to
508s. The SW-34 is in the basement and I'll need to move the 61.5
dish to the house in order to be able to connect it. Although I'm not
sure there is anything there for me to watch.

The moral of this story is to bury more lines than you need in a
conduit of generous proportions.

Thanks.

Jeff