PDA

View Full Version : When will there be 100% local channel coverage??

snow
July 5th 03, 12:55 PM
I have been told that I will not receive DTV local channels this fall as I
will be skipped over, live in a rural spot in Maine. Any chance DTV will
eventually have local coverage for the more rural areas? It means another
satellite launch?

Flagship1 of the Paranormal
July 5th 03, 08:18 PM
Re: When will there be 100% local channel coverage??

snow wrote:

> I have been told that I will not receive DTV local channels this fall as I
> will be skipped over, live in a rural spot in Maine. Any chance DTV will
> eventually have local coverage for the more rural areas? It means another
> satellite launch?

If your in Presque Isle, ME then thats DMA205 which is only 5 markets
larger then Glendive, MT which is DMA210 which is the smallest TV market
in the entire country and probably the last to get Local into Local!
You will be waiting for quite a while. If you get your local stations
from Bangor, ME which is DMA153 you will be waiting for quite a while
as well. However not as long a while. The providers are aiming to have
all 210 DMAs by the end of 2005, however that is just speculation.

DMA = Nielson Designated Market Area there are 210 DMAs in the
united states with New York, NY being #1 and Glendive, MT
being #210.

--
Flagship1 of the Paranormal - Posting to Usenet since July-15-1997.

"Sometimes trolls take writings out of context or write pure lies
about people just to get them baited into flame-wars. You do not
have to address each and every lie that they make. Don't feed them!"

Official Website -----> http://www.flagship1.com
Public E-Mail -------->
Forgery Information --> http://www.flagship1.com/forgery.txt

Ed Doucette
July 5th 03, 08:49 PM
I just read somewhere in the past week that Maine is on the list for this
year.........DTV might have it on there web site,,,I think it's their
address plus /local or /locals or something like that
"snow" > wrote in message
> I have been told that I will not receive DTV local channels this fall as I
> will be skipped over, live in a rural spot in Maine. Any chance DTV will
> eventually have local coverage for the more rural areas? It means another
> satellite launch?

Jack Ak
July 5th 03, 08:57 PM
"Flagship1 of the Paranormal" > wrote in message ...
> Re: When will there be 100% local channel coverage??
>
> snow wrote:
> >
> > I have been told that I will not receive DTV local channels this fall as I
> > will be skipped over, live in a rural spot in Maine. Any chance DTV will
> > eventually have local coverage for the more rural areas? It means another
> > satellite launch?
>
> If your in Presque Isle, ME then thats DMA205 which is only 5 markets
> larger then Glendive, MT which is DMA210 which is the smallest TV market
> in the entire country and probably the last to get Local into Local!
> You will be waiting for quite a while. If you get your local stations
> from Bangor, ME which is DMA153 you will be waiting for quite a while
> as well. However not as long a while. The providers are aiming to have
> all 210 DMAs by the end of 2005, however that is just speculation.

Providing local channels to all 210 DMAs was promised if the merger
between DirecTV and Dish Network was approved. IIRC, neither provider
has suggested that all 210 DMAs would be served without the merger.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.jsp?id=02_26_2002A

Rod Smith
July 5th 03, 10:26 PM
In article >,
Flagship1 of the Paranormal > writes:

> The providers are aiming to have
> all 210 DMAs by the end of 2005, however that is just speculation.

Do you have a reference or further information on these plans to
implement all DMAs by the end of 2005? AFAIK, that goal isn't achievable
without more satellites, sharing bandwidth between DirecTV and Dish
Network, greater compression, or perhaps some other changes. I'm curious
which of these options they plan to pursue.

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com

satris
July 6th 03, 12:28 AM
Rupert Murdoch,CEO of News Corp., told a Congressional committee in
hearings regarding his pending equity stake in GMH (General
Motors/Hughes) and his subseqent purchase of DirecTV by his media
conglomerate said that he has plans to have all the local DMA's on the
DirecTV platform by 2006.This will happen if the FCC approves the sale
and the anti-trust division of the US Justice Department concurs.
Now I do not know WHAT kind of plan he has in mind to implement,because
he gave few specifics,but Murdoch has a reputation of carrying out any
plan he sets his mind on........his News Corporation/Sky Media is a
global conglomerate which includes B/Sky B,Fox Media Group,and a whole
lot of Asian operations.He has the capital (money) to pull it off if
anyone can.BUT,that is if our own governmental agencies give him the go
ahead.

snow
July 6th 03, 02:29 AM
I am in DMA153 then. Thanks.
Flagship1 of the Paranormal > wrote in message
> Re: When will there be 100% local channel coverage??
>
> snow wrote:
> >
> > I have been told that I will not receive DTV local channels this fall as
> > will be skipped over, live in a rural spot in Maine. Any chance DTV will
> > eventually have local coverage for the more rural areas? It means
another
> > satellite launch?
>
> If your in Presque Isle, ME then thats DMA205 which is only 5 markets
> larger then Glendive, MT which is DMA210 which is the smallest TV market
> in the entire country and probably the last to get Local into Local!
> You will be waiting for quite a while. If you get your local stations
> from Bangor, ME which is DMA153 you will be waiting for quite a while
> as well. However not as long a while. The providers are aiming to have
> all 210 DMAs by the end of 2005, however that is just speculation.
>
> DMA = Nielson Designated Market Area there are 210 DMAs in the
> united states with New York, NY being #1 and Glendive, MT
> being #210.
>
> --
> Flagship1 of the Paranormal - Posting to Usenet since July-15-1997.
>
> "Sometimes trolls take writings out of context or write pure lies
> about people just to get them baited into flame-wars. You do not
> have to address each and every lie that they make. Don't feed them!"
>
> Official Website -----> http://www.flagship1.com
> Public E-Mail -------->
> Forgery Information --> http://www.flagship1.com/forgery.txt

Steve Fleckenstein
July 6th 03, 04:20 AM
Considering the logistics of how many locals there are vs. how many
transponders are up in the sky I would guess DTV will never have "ALL" local
stations covered with current technology.

--

"snow" > wrote in message
> I have been told that I will not receive DTV local channels this fall as I
> will be skipped over, live in a rural spot in Maine. Any chance DTV will
> eventually have local coverage for the more rural areas? It means another
> satellite launch?

Braunsdorfx
July 6th 03, 03:33 PM
Yes there are lots of markets, but as you drop down the list they have fewer
channels per market. If one only considers transponer space (and not the
different uplink sites) they could add a many smaller cities for the room it
takes to offer a Chicago or San Franscico.
Chicago has14 locals via Directv. For that transponder investment, they could
add South Bend with seven and Fort Wayne with five or six and still be able to
serve my brother. My brother lives in a one station town (Laffyette IN) He
can can get networks ( I think from Indy) via Directv for everything but CBS.
Will directv add his one channel to include local service there?
yes but not for a while.

Jon Purkey
July 6th 03, 06:18 PM
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 02:20:45 GMT, "Steve Fleckenstein"
> wrote:

>Considering the logistics of how many locals there are vs. how many
>transponders are up in the sky I would guess DTV will never have "ALL" local
>stations covered with current technology.

They could probably add mid and small sized markets in the central US
before adding new markets in the Northeast because big cities like New
York, Philladelphia and Boston use up a lot of the spot beam
transponders.

-
Email replies should be sent to the address found here:
http://members.aol.com/jonpurkey/email.gif