PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV is indirectly making old Sony receivers obsolete...

Jon Biggar
July 8th 03, 09:05 PM
I have a Sony B2 receiver, and with the number of channels that DirecTV
has added recently, it's become very difficult to get any guide
information beyond the first couple of hours. It appears that the
receiver has a built in timeout waiting for guide information that is
approximately the same amount of time that it takes for the old-style
DirecTV guide datastream to cycle. Which means that about 4 times out
of 5, when I try to get a guide for tomorrow's shows, it fails, and I
have to start over.

I guess I'll have to use this as an excuse to get my wife to agree to
getting a new 2 tuner DirecTivo. Aw shucks... :)

--
Jon Biggar
Floorboard Software

Patty Winter
July 9th 03, 02:21 AM
In article <[email protected]>,
Jon Biggar > wrote:
>I have a Sony B2 receiver, and with the number of channels that DirecTV
>has added recently, it's become very difficult to get any guide
>information beyond the first couple of hours.

I've been having this same problem with my B2 recently. And when
I try to view the description of a specific program, it's sometimes
garbled. I've seen this occasionally in the past, but recently it's
been happening much more.

Patty

Jon Biggar
July 9th 03, 05:32 AM
Patty Winter wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Jon Biggar > wrote:
>
>>I have a Sony B2 receiver, and with the number of channels that DirecTV
>>has added recently, it's become very difficult to get any guide
>>information beyond the first couple of hours.
>

> I've been having this same problem with my B2 recently. And when
> I try to view the description of a specific program, it's sometimes
> garbled. I've seen this occasionally in the past, but recently it's
> been happening much more.

I've seen that too. The description ends up with lots of zzzzzzzzzzs in it.

--
Jon Biggar
Floorboard Software