PDA

View Full Version : Dish 500 or Direct TV

Lonnie
July 25th 03, 04:28 PM
I am a current Dish 500 customer with a Dish PVR and a 501 receiver. I
have no complaints with the service or hardware. I am building a new
house and wanted to run RG6 to 5 rooms. I initially thought I could
just use a Multiswitch and add the addl receivers when needed.
Splitting a Direct TV signal seems straitforward, splitting a Dish
signals does not. Couple of questions.
1. Can I split the Dish 500 signal to 4 or 5 receivers? If so what
equipment would I need?
2. Would it be much easier to split a Direct TV signal?
3. Is there a monthly fee for every additional receiver? I noticed
that on Direct TV's website they mention a 4.95 per month charge.
Anyway to get around that charge?
4.Would it be easier to switch to Direct TV with the Tivo option?

Thanks,

Lonnie

TNGTony
July 25th 03, 07:29 PM
"Lonnie" > wrote in message
m...
> I am a current Dish 500 customer with a Dish PVR and a 501 receiver. I
> have no complaints with the service or hardware. I am building a new
> house and wanted to run RG6 to 5 rooms. I initially thought I could
> just use a Multiswitch and add the addl receivers when needed.
> Splitting a Direct TV signal seems straitforward, splitting a Dish
> signals does not. Couple of questions.
> 1. Can I split the Dish 500 signal to 4 or 5 receivers? If so what
> equipment would I need?

Yes. To 4 it's very simple. To 5 it's a little more complex.

It depends on what type of LNB you have on your Dish 500. If you have the
DishPro series LNB, you need an SW34 switch. This will allow you to
distribute 3 satellite locations (the Dish 500 has two locations) to up to 4
receivers.
If you have two Legacy LNBs, you can either replace them with DishPro and
get a 34 switch or get an SW64 switch. It does the same thing as the 34
except there are two inputs for each satellite location. Or the SW44 which
allows 2 satellite locations to be fed to up to 4 receivers.

I'll let some one else tackle the 5 receiver question.

> 2. Would it be much easier to split a Direct TV signal?

If you have a single satellite location, yes. If you use the multi-slot
dish, no. And it is really not that hard to "split" the Dish signal. With
the proper switch, you can easily "split" the signal to 4 receivers.

NOTE: To those that see just the word "Split"...I know you can never just
split a DBS singal!!! :-)

> 3. Is there a monthly fee for every additional receiver? I noticed
> that on Direct TV's website they mention a 4.95 per month charge.
> Anyway to get around that charge?

No. At least not a legal way. Both Dish and DirecTV have that "because we
can" charge.

See ya
Tony

Nobody In Particular
July 25th 03, 08:49 PM
Can't you split the signal from the receiver to multiple TVs.

I realize you all will have to watch the same channel, but the signal
split can be done, right?

NIP

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:29:07 GMT, "TNGTony"
> wrote:

>"Lonnie" > wrote in message
m...
>> I am a current Dish 500 customer with a Dish PVR and a 501 receiver. I
>> have no complaints with the service or hardware. I am building a new
>> house and wanted to run RG6 to 5 rooms. I initially thought I could
>> just use a Multiswitch and add the addl receivers when needed.
>> Splitting a Direct TV signal seems straitforward, splitting a Dish
>> signals does not. Couple of questions.
>> 1. Can I split the Dish 500 signal to 4 or 5 receivers? If so what
>> equipment would I need?
>
>Yes. To 4 it's very simple. To 5 it's a little more complex.
>
>It depends on what type of LNB you have on your Dish 500. If you have the
>DishPro series LNB, you need an SW34 switch. This will allow you to
>distribute 3 satellite locations (the Dish 500 has two locations) to up to 4
>receivers.
>If you have two Legacy LNBs, you can either replace them with DishPro and
>get a 34 switch or get an SW64 switch. It does the same thing as the 34
>except there are two inputs for each satellite location. Or the SW44 which
>allows 2 satellite locations to be fed to up to 4 receivers.
>
>I'll let some one else tackle the 5 receiver question.
>
>> 2. Would it be much easier to split a Direct TV signal?
>
>If you have a single satellite location, yes. If you use the multi-slot
>dish, no. And it is really not that hard to "split" the Dish signal. With
>the proper switch, you can easily "split" the signal to 4 receivers.
>
>NOTE: To those that see just the word "Split"...I know you can never just
>split a DBS singal!!! :-)
>
>> 3. Is there a monthly fee for every additional receiver? I noticed
>> that on Direct TV's website they mention a 4.95 per month charge.
>> Anyway to get around that charge?
>
>No. At least not a legal way. Both Dish and DirecTV have that "because we
>can" charge.
>
>See ya
>Tony

Matt
July 25th 03, 11:58 PM
"Nobody In Particular" > wrote in message
> Can't you split the signal from the receiver to multiple TVs.
>
> I realize you all will have to watch the same channel, but the signal
> split can be done, right?

sure, there's a few different ways to do it. I use
UHF modulators to put the signals from all of my
main equipment rack sources (DirecTivo, DVD,
S-VHS) onto unused channels distributed via
the house coax. I use hard-wired infrared repeaters
to control the equipment from any room. If you
have really good TV's in all the rooms and want
better video quality, I've seen S-Video distribution
amps that you could probably use to get the video
signal around, then use IR repeaters to control
a pre-amp that has video source selection capability.

If I was doing a new install (like the OP is) I would
home run at least two runs of RG-6 and 1 CAT5 line
to each room. If you use something like Russound's
A-Bus system, that CAT5 will get you infrared repeater
control as well as a stereo audio feed to each room.

--
Matt

Gary Tait
July 26th 03, 02:34 AM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:29:07 GMT, "TNGTony"
> wrote:

>"Lonnie" > wrote in message
m...
>> I am a current Dish 500 customer with a Dish PVR and a 501 receiver. I
>> have no complaints with the service or hardware. I am building a new
>> house and wanted to run RG6 to 5 rooms. I initially thought I could
>> just use a Multiswitch and add the addl receivers when needed.
>> Splitting a Direct TV signal seems straitforward, splitting a Dish
>> signals does not. Couple of questions.
>> 1. Can I split the Dish 500 signal to 4 or 5 receivers? If so what
>> equipment would I need?
>
>Yes. To 4 it's very simple. To 5 it's a little more complex.
>
>It depends on what type of LNB you have on your Dish 500. If you have the
>DishPro series LNB, you need an SW34 switch. This will allow you to
>distribute 3 satellite locations (the Dish 500 has two locations) to up to 4
>receivers.
>If you have two Legacy LNBs, you can either replace them with DishPro and
>get a 34 switch or get an SW64 switch. It does the same thing as the 34
>except there are two inputs for each satellite location. Or the SW44 which
>allows 2 satellite locations to be fed to up to 4 receivers.
>
>I'll let some one else tackle the 5 receiver question.

You would have to split each LNBF line (use a 2x4 multiswitch per
LNBF), to two SW44 or two SW64

>> 2. Would it be much easier to split a Direct TV signal?
>
>If you have a single satellite location, yes. If you use the multi-slot
>dish, no. And it is really not that hard to "split" the Dish signal. With
>the proper switch, you can easily "split" the signal to 4 receivers.

It is easier, as they do have 4/5 in 8 out multi/matrix switches
compatible with multi-slot DirecTV installations.