PDA

View Full Version : comcast adjustment commercial

Braunsdorfx
July 31st 03, 04:04 PM
I was in Knoxville at a hotel and saw this crazy comcast spot where this guy
said he went back to cable cause he had to climb on his roof twice a week to
re-aim his dish. It was kinda of funny, but in anyones experice is this true?

In four years
I had to cut bushes twice. At my old house I had to put where they grew in
front of it.
I had to move my dish once after I moved cause the easier spot to do the
install had a tree too close.
I had an Ice dam melt and pull the cable and moved the dish.
I changed to multi sat and had to rejust then.
That is no where near twice a week.
Maybe the guy in the spot forgets his wrench when he goes up there?

Gould
July 31st 03, 06:29 PM
"Braunsdorfx" > wrote in message
> I was in Knoxville at a hotel and saw this crazy comcast spot where this guy
> said he went back to cable cause he had to climb on his roof twice a week
> re-aim his dish. It was kinda of funny, but in anyones experice is this
true?

> In four years
> I had to cut bushes twice. At my old house I had to put where they grew in
> front of it.
> I had to move my dish once after I moved cause the easier spot to do the
> install had a tree too close.
> I had an Ice dam melt and pull the cable and moved the dish.
> I changed to multi sat and had to rejust then.
> That is no where near twice a week.
> Maybe the guy in the spot forgets his wrench when he goes up there?

What I'd like to know is how they get away with tell lies like that. My dish
has been mounted and sitting there on the side of the house since 1998 and it
hasn't moved since. Where so they get the balls to make such claims?

Vince Stone
July 31st 03, 11:33 PM
Our local cable company (Adelphia) has a comercial where the satellite
signal fades in and out. The viewer goes outside and finds a kid on a
trampoline bouncing up and down infront of the dish.

Even my wife, who prefers cable because (with a cable ready TV and no
premium channels) its easier (buts likes to view stuff on my DirecTivo)
remembers that our satellite outages are very few, while cable outages are
not..

"Braunsdorfx" > wrote in message
> I was in Knoxville at a hotel and saw this crazy comcast spot where this
guy
> said he went back to cable cause he had to climb on his roof twice a week
> re-aim his dish. It was kinda of funny, but in anyones experice is this
true?

> In four years
> I had to cut bushes twice. At my old house I had to put where they grew
in
> front of it.
> I had to move my dish once after I moved cause the easier spot to do the
> install had a tree too close.
> I had an Ice dam melt and pull the cable and moved the dish.
> I changed to multi sat and had to rejust then.
> That is no where near twice a week.
> Maybe the guy in the spot forgets his wrench when he goes up there?

agn
August 1st 03, 04:11 AM
If you could see some of the "installs" I've had to go out and correct you'd
believe it.

I could write volumes here about dishes installed in winter right in front
of trees that leaf in the spring blocking signal, dishes screwed into roofs
with 3 inch drywall screws missing the rafters and working loose in two
weeks, cables spliced together with no weather proofing, SW-21 switches
swinging in the breeze with no weatherproofing, RG 59 indoor cable used for
50 ft runs to a chimney mount, Dish 500 antennas combined with Sw-64
switches with the third dish wiring that looks like a nest of octopi.
Etc, Etc. Etc.

All in the name of "free installation" !!!

Then I'm expected to go out and fix these debacles "for free" .. After all,
the customer got a "free installation" -- The original "installer" is long
gone, cell phone disconnected, selling store has "no responsibility for the
install - read your invoice".

People wonder why small retailers are closing up left and right.

Some of the "installers" utilized by the large CE stores should be shot.
They cause more problems for the satellite industry with shoddy installs
than cable ever could. The average consumer can't tell the difference and
when problems arise it's easier to bitch and moan and switch to cable all
the while badmouthing satellite TV.

Go over to Dishretailer.com -- some of the dealers there have posted
pictures of "installs" they've had to correct. It will make you sick.

The old adage of "free work is not always good" and "good work is not always
free" is very applicable in this industry.

ric
August 1st 03, 07:04 AM
Vince Stone wrote:

> Our local cable company (Adelphia) has a comercial where the satellite
> signal fades in and out. The viewer goes outside and finds a kid on a
> trampoline bouncing up and down infront of the dish.

Cox San Diego is also running that ad. It is being furnished by the NCTA.

The kid is in the *next yard* and only bouncing a couple of feet in the
air. *That* is a low look angle!

martyp
August 1st 03, 07:45 AM
How about the one they are showing here in the San Francisco Bay Area where
they show a guy dressed like a dish pulling in a load of gear in to the
house on a dolly and he states there is more on the truck. Then they
are watch a show and get snow and go outside to see the dish on the
ground and he say something must have come loose. The next day they say
they want to go back to cable and he say to bad they signed the contract.
I laugh at that one I rather have the dish on my roof and a cable coming
down the side the one coming across my yard to the house :). When you
take away the set top box and the cable the only added thing is the dam
dish . I have only had to reaim my dish once and that was after a freak
storm with 60mph winds and then it was only to peak it . I guess the
folks that believe that stuff should stick with cable that make you wait 3
to 6 months to get back the money from that free install you had to pay for
..

Martin Poles

starman
August 1st 03, 09:13 AM
Gould wrote:

> "Braunsdorfx" > wrote in message
> > I was in Knoxville at a hotel and saw this crazy comcast spot where this guy
> > said he went back to cable cause he had to climb on his roof twice a week
> > re-aim his dish. It was kinda of funny, but in anyones experice is this
> true?

> What I'd like to know is how they get away with tell lies like that. My dish
> has been mounted and sitting there on the side of the house since 1998 and it
> hasn't moved since. Where so they get the balls to make such claims?

The best way to deal with such nonsense is to contact the offending
business (Comcast) and tell them what you think of their commercials.

WichitaRedneck
August 3rd 03, 03:59 AM
>That's absurd. The only reason you have to re-aim the dish would be if you
>had a major earthquake and your house moved...
>Or was it mounted on a truck?

I agree. I never have had to re aim mine.

>However, I do remember my cable going out all the time when it rained and
>the ground got soaked - and I was only 3 miles from the cable company.
>That's one of the MANY reasons I switch to satellite. Number 1 being
>picture quality.

Of course the dish goes out when it rains too!

WichitaRedneck
August 3rd 03, 04:05 AM
>If you could see some of the "installs" I've had to go out and correct you'd
>believe it.

I can believe it. There is no certification for installers at all. Anybody can
say "I am an installer" whether or not they are. Anybody that works for a power
or phone company can tell you about how many dishes they have had to remove
from power poles.