PDA

View Full Version : Do I need directv service to get signal?

Mike in DE.
August 4th 03, 05:32 AM
I put my dish up and dont get a signal, my signal strength is zero. I
was wondering, do I need to call direct tv and sign up for service
before I will see a signal, or will receiver show signal strength even
without the service agreement?
Thanks

Seth
August 4th 03, 06:04 AM
"Mike in DE." > wrote in message
m...
> I put my dish up and dont get a signal, my signal strength is zero. I
> was wondering, do I need to call direct tv and sign up for service
> before I will see a signal, or will receiver show signal strength even
> without the service agreement?

No service required for the signal strength meter to work.

Rod Smith
August 4th 03, 04:39 PM
In article >,
(Mike in DE.) writes:

> I put my dish up and dont get a signal, my signal strength is zero. I
> was wondering, do I need to call direct tv and sign up for service
> before I will see a signal, or will receiver show signal strength even
> without the service agreement?

As others have said, you should be able to use the signal-strength meter
on your receiver without getting service. What's more, there are a handful
of channels that are broadcast "in the clear," so you should be able to
tune them and watch them before calling DirecTV. One of these is 201,
IIRC, which carries a 1/2-hour show, repeated endlessly, describing how to
use the equipment.

In any event, it sounds like your dish is mis-aimed or defective, or
you've got a wiring problem or a problem with a multiswitch.

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com

WichitaRedneck
August 6th 03, 01:28 AM
You should get full signal strength and a few free "barker channels" when you
are properly set up