PDA

View Full Version : newbie installation help on dish network

randmhinformation
August 16th 03, 02:34 PM
I am trying to get DISH NETWORK on our commercial building since dish
network is cheaper than Direct TV and cable.I was told there is no
contract to sign and it's just $35 per month and I can cancel anytime.
I was told by dish network CS to go to walmart or sears and buy the
system and install it by myself and give them a call to activate.It
sounds very easy.
My question to you guys is

1.Is it really easy to install by myself? We have a flat roof with
open sky,I saw some postings saying to use the 5 gallons bucket with
cement and pipe.
I think I can use just plain 8 x 8 plywood since it's flat roof. Which
is better between pipe with cement or 8 x 8 plywood? I am afraid that
pipe with bucket might fall when it's heavy windy.

2.To bring the wire into the buidling is another problem.Since there
is no window.One guy told me to run the wires through the vent for
heating and AC.
Is it okay to run the wires through the vent? Signals won't be
interfered even AC/heating is on?
Any other best way to bring the wire into the buidling without making
a hole in the wall?

3.I went to walmart yesterday.They don't have dish 500/receiver 301 in
stock.But I saw local TV antenna goes around the dish. This local TV
antenna works?

Thank you so much in advance,guys!

Valentín Guillén
August 17th 03, 07:24 AM
randmhinformation wrote:
> =

> I am trying to get DISH NETWORK on our commercial building since dish
> network is cheaper than Direct TV and cable.I was told there is no
> contract to sign and it's just $35 per month and I can cancel anytime.
> I was told by dish network CS to go to walmart or sears and buy the
> system and install it by myself and give them a call to activate.It
> sounds very easy.
> My question to you guys is
> =

> 1.Is it really easy to install by myself? =

It CAN be quite easy to install. =

> We have a flat roof with
> open sky,I saw some postings saying to use the 5 gallons bucket with
> cement and pipe.
> I think I can use just plain 8 x 8 plywood since it's flat roof. =

Some professional installers here in the Southwest install on flat roofs
in the following manner: Use of a sheet of plywood about 15~18" wide,
and about 2ft long. Antenna mounting bracket which comes with each
antenna is bolted onto the wood, and the wood piece is placed directly
onto the roof. Cinder blocks (4 or 5) hold the wood in place, and the
entire piece of wood can be rotated to where you can adjust the pole
part of the mount to be completely plumb!

> Which
> is better between pipe with cement or 8 x 8 plywood? I am afraid that
> pipe with bucket might fall when it's heavy windy.

I would use the wood over the cement bucket in order to minimize wind
drag, and the potenial to have the bucket falling over.

> 2.To bring the wire into the buidling is another problem.Since there
> is no window.One guy told me to run the wires through the vent for
> heating and AC.
> Is it okay to run the wires through the vent? Signals won't be
> interfered even AC/heating is on?

The signals won't be interferred with, but you really should use what is
called "plenum" cable if you're going to do this. It is special, heat
resistant cable. Most installers don't actually use this, because it
costs more. Where I live in Albuquerque, our ambient temperatures can
get hotter than the inside of a heating vent plenum, and all installers
here use regular grade RG6 cable. =

> Any other best way to bring the wire into the buidling without making
> a hole in the wall?

If you have a door or a window, there are short sections of "FLAT"
window cable which are available for passing in the cable into a window
or through a door without drilling holes. Otherwise, you will need to
figure out how to get the cable into the building. Some of these "flat
cable" designs are trully flat, meaning about 1/32 of an inch flat. =

These let you run the cable in around a door jamb or window frame, for
example.
=

> 3.I went to walmart yesterday.They don't have dish 500/receiver 301 in
> stock.But I saw local TV antenna goes around the dish. This local TV
> antenna works?

These newer TV antennas which clip onto the outside edge of the dish DO
work in most urban and suburban areas. If you currently have a very
expensive rural YAGI or other type antenna, for a few bucks you can
purchase a diplexer, which allows you to combine the Yagi antennas
signal along with the sat dish's signal, both onto one cable. You then
use another diplexer at the bottom end of the cable indoors to separate
the combined signals. =

You can buy dishnetwork equipment at Costco, Radio Shack and many other
retail locations. I bought my first system at the Goodwill, and later
bought a couple of other complete systems dirt cheap from the thrifty
nickel. You can also advertise in the wanted sections of the thrifty
nickel and other sources. If you purchase used, carry dishnetwork's 800
number with you, so when you go to view the equipment, you can call and
find out if the smart card has any outrageous outstanding balances. =

That could cause you a problem. Be sure to get a receipt, that way if
there is a balance attached to the smartcard, you can send a copy to
Dishnetwork if necessary to prove that the unit has a new owner. I've
never heard of that being necessary, but the FAQ on their website says
that they COULD require that. Read the FAQ on their website, which
refers to purchasing USED EQUIPMENT: =

http://faq.dishnetwork.com/questions/97.asp?sc=3D%2F&cboSubCategory=3D&cb=
oCategory=3D&txtSearch=3D&pg=3D3
http://faq.dishnetwork.com/questions/51.asp?sc=3D%2F&cboSubCategory=3D&cb=
oCategory=3D&txtSearch=3D&pg=3D2

Remember that if you purchase used equipment, the owners manuals and all
the installation guides, etc., are available online at this same
website: =

http://www.dishnetwork.com

Good Luck,
-- =

Valent=EDn Guill=E9n
Earth - a subsidiary of Microsoft=AE

WichitaRedneck
August 17th 03, 01:15 PM
If you know how to use a level and a compass, you can install it.

8Man
August 18th 03, 08:37 AM
"randmhinformation" > wrote in message
m...

> I am trying to get DISH NETWORK on our commercial building ...

Will you be the only person watching? If so, go for it. If you're trying
provide DishNetwork signal to a number of people, each with their
own receiver, and you've never attempted something like this before,
you really should pay for a professional installation.

How will you know if you're dealing with a "professional"? Easy...
He wont agree to run the wires through the vent for heating and AC on
a commercial building. He'll also know about Dish Network's MDU Program.