PDA

View Full Version : Does comcast ever give up!

martyp
August 26th 03, 09:47 PM
Boy just got a new offer from Comcast. They will take away my dbs system and
give me a $25.00 discount a month for 16 months . So I call them to see
what the cost would be took me 10 mins to get them to give me a number
for the 4 sets I have now on DirecTV each with its own box with everything
but the big pay sports options.

Seems that DirecTV is still a few bucks less each month even after the
$25.00 off and I have to give them my DirecTV stuff to get the discount
(Guess they want to make it really hard to switch back). and pay for a
install as when i made the change to DirecTV a few years ago I made them
take every bit of cable that belongs to them off my house and remove the
drop line from coming across my yard . Said it would not be a reg. install.
Anyone else getting these offers in the mail ? Guess some cable guy got his
reward for writing down my address.

Now if they gave me a free install and let me keep my DirecTV stuff i might
be willing to give them a try on 1 TV NOT........

Love my DirecTV........

Martin Poles

Gould
August 26th 03, 10:42 PM
DEATH TO COMCAST

THAT COMAPNY IS EVIL.

"martyp" > wrote in message
> Boy just got a new offer from Comcast. They will take away my dbs system and
> give me a $25.00 discount a month for 16 months . So I call them to see
> what the cost would be took me 10 mins to get them to give me a number
> for the 4 sets I have now on DirecTV each with its own box with everything
> but the big pay sports options.
>
> Seems that DirecTV is still a few bucks less each month even after the
> $25.00 off and I have to give them my DirecTV stuff to get the discount
> (Guess they want to make it really hard to switch back). and pay for a
> install as when i made the change to DirecTV a few years ago I made them
> take every bit of cable that belongs to them off my house and remove the
> drop line from coming across my yard . Said it would not be a reg. install.
> Anyone else getting these offers in the mail ? Guess some cable guy got his
> reward for writing down my address.
>
> Now if they gave me a free install and let me keep my DirecTV stuff i might
> be willing to give them a try on 1 TV NOT........
>
> Love my DirecTV........
>

> Martin Poles

agn
August 27th 03, 02:13 AM
> DEATH TO COMCAST
>
> THAT COMAPNY IS EVIL.

They may be evil, but until satellite comes up with a true two way high
speed internet service at a reasonable price, they've got them beat six
ways from Sunday.

Churn back to cable around here is picking up speed.

> "martyp" > wrote in message
> > Boy just got a new offer from Comcast. They will take away my dbs system
and
> > give me a $25.00 discount a month for 16 months . So I call them to see
> > what the cost would be took me 10 mins to get them to give me a
number
> > for the 4 sets I have now on DirecTV each with its own box with
everything
> > but the big pay sports options.
> >
> > Seems that DirecTV is still a few bucks less each month even after the
> > $25.00 off and I have to give them my DirecTV stuff to get the discount
> > (Guess they want to make it really hard to switch back). and pay for a
> > install as when i made the change to DirecTV a few years ago I made
them
> > take every bit of cable that belongs to them off my house and remove
the
> > drop line from coming across my yard . Said it would not be a reg.
install.
> > Anyone else getting these offers in the mail ? Guess some cable guy got
his
> > reward for writing down my address.
> >
> > Now if they gave me a free install and let me keep my DirecTV stuff i
might
> > be willing to give them a try on 1 TV NOT........
> >
> > Love my DirecTV........
> >

> > Martin Poles

August 27th 03, 06:07 AM
$25 per month for 16 months = $400

"agn" > wrote in message
> Around these parts they're offering up to $400 for your satellite system.
> Wait for that.

Jim
August 27th 03, 08:56 PM
if you are unhappy with cable, do you get your sat back??
"T" > wrote in message
> $25 per month for 16 months = $400
>

> "agn" > wrote in message
> > Around these parts they're offering up to $400 for your satellite
system.
> > Wait for that.

Gould
August 27th 03, 11:51 PM
Comcast offers any service at a reasonable price? Where is this enchanted
land?

"agn" > wrote in message

> > DEATH TO COMCAST
> >
> > THAT COMAPNY IS EVIL.
>
> They may be evil, but until satellite comes up with a true two way high
> speed internet service at a reasonable price, they've got them beat six
> ways from Sunday.
>
> Churn back to cable around here is picking up speed.
>

> > "martyp" > wrote in message
> > > Boy just got a new offer from Comcast. They will take away my dbs system
> and
> > > give me a $25.00 discount a month for 16 months . So I call them to see
> > > what the cost would be took me 10 mins to get them to give me a
> number
> > > for the 4 sets I have now on DirecTV each with its own box with
> everything
> > > but the big pay sports options.
> > >
> > > Seems that DirecTV is still a few bucks less each month even after the
> > > $25.00 off and I have to give them my DirecTV stuff to get the discount
> > > (Guess they want to make it really hard to switch back). and pay for a
> > > install as when i made the change to DirecTV a few years ago I made
> them
> > > take every bit of cable that belongs to them off my house and remove
> the
> > > drop line from coming across my yard . Said it would not be a reg.
> install.
> > > Anyone else getting these offers in the mail ? Guess some cable guy got
> his
> > > reward for writing down my address.
> > >
> > > Now if they gave me a free install and let me keep my DirecTV stuff i
> might
> > > be willing to give them a try on 1 TV NOT........
> > >
> > > Love my DirecTV........
> > >

> > > Martin Poles

agn
August 29th 03, 06:56 AM
Their high speed internet access via cable is unbeatable in both price and
performance.

Neither Starband or Direcway come close.

When they bundle up the internet access with their basic programming package
along with the usual "incentives" (taking a page out of satellite's book),
it's very hard to compete with.

I've lost more than a few DISH/DTV subs in the last few months to their
offers.

I really can't blame 'em.

"Gould" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Comcast offers any service at a reasonable price? Where is this enchanted
> land?
>
> "agn" > wrote in message
> >
> > > DEATH TO COMCAST
> > >
> > > THAT COMAPNY IS EVIL.
> >
> > They may be evil, but until satellite comes up with a true two way high
> > speed internet service at a reasonable price, they've got them beat six
> > ways from Sunday.
> >
> > Churn back to cable around here is picking up speed.

> > and
> > number
> > everything

> > them
> > the
> > install.
> > his

> > might

agn
August 29th 03, 06:58 AM
What's your point?

$400 is $400.

Is DTV or DISH offering you $400 to switch from cable?

"T" > wrote in message
> $25 per month for 16 months = $400
>

> "agn" > wrote in message
> > Around these parts they're offering up to $400 for your satellite
system.
> > Wait for that.

David Levy
August 29th 03, 08:49 AM
Martin Poles wrote:

> [...]

agn replied:

> > > Around these parts they're offering up to $400 for your
> > > satellite system. Wait for that.

T brought pointed out:

> > $25 per month for 16 months = $400

agn inquired:

> What's your point?
>
> $400 is $400.

That *was* T's point. Martin described an offer of $400 in discounts
over a period of sixteen months, and you advised him to hold out for
$400.

With today's interest rates, there isn't much of a difference.

> Is DTV or DISH offering you $400 to switch from cable?

Why are you so defensive? T didn't disparage the promotion.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't dream of switching back to Comcast's
television service for a measly $400. In fact, I wouldn't even do it
for triple that amount. (which is the approximate figure -- money well
spent -- that my family paid for our four DirecTV DVRs with lifetime
TiVo subscription, elliptical dish, multiswitch and installation)

I'll remain with Comcast for my broadband Internet access only, and no
bribe or "bundle" deal is going to change my mind.

WichitaRedneck
August 30th 03, 03:41 AM
>Their high speed internet access via cable is unbeatable in both price and
>performance.

DSL is just as good or even better

ric
August 30th 03, 06:30 AM
WichitaRedneck wrote:

> DSL is just as good or even better

Spoken like a real Kev.

Ed Nielsen
August 31st 03, 07:18 PM
The DSL package I could get that comes closest to cable is (Up to) 640k
down and (Up to) 256k up for $32 per month (Does not include ISP). Say
I find a decent ISP for $18 per month. That's $50 per month for
640/256. I live pretty close to my C.O., so I'd probably get pretty
close to the maximum speeds. If I lived, say, 3 miles from my C.O or
DSLAM, though, I'd be looking at speeds of less than 400k on the
downstream while still paying for 640k. If I lived much further than
that, I would be unserviceable.

With cable, I'm paying $43 per month (includes ISP) for speeds of (Up
to) 1800k down and (Up to) 256k up. My speeds are consistently 1700+
down and 220+ up, and I live about 10 plant miles from the CMTS. If I
lived 20 plant miles from the CMTS, speeds would be the same.

Doesn't really sound like DSL is just as good or even better to me.

CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
CENCOM
http://www.cencom94.com

WichitaRedneck wrote:

>>Their high speed internet access via cable is unbeatable in both price and
>>performance.
>

> DSL is just as good or even better

David Wood
September 1st 03, 07:54 PM
> The DSL package I could get that comes closest to cable is (Up to) 640k
> down and (Up to) 256k up for $32 per month (Does not include ISP). Say
> I find a decent ISP for $18 per month. That's $50 per month for
> 640/256. I live pretty close to my C.O., so I'd probably get pretty
> close to the maximum speeds. If I lived, say, 3 miles from my C.O or
> DSLAM, though, I'd be looking at speeds of less than 400k on the
> downstream while still paying for 640k. If I lived much further than
> that, I would be unserviceable.

By those rates, I'm guessing you mean k as in kilobits per second. At
any rate, I'm suprised you can't find a better DSL provider that isn't
capping your speed. Earthlink DSL for me in Northern VA is much faster
than that, giving me about 1.5 megabits per second download, just as
they advertised.

> With cable, I'm paying $43 per month (includes ISP) for speeds of (Up
> to) 1800k down and (Up to) 256k up. My speeds are consistently 1700+
> down and 220+ up, and I live about 10 plant miles from the CMTS. If I
> lived 20 plant miles from the CMTS, speeds would be the same.
>
> Doesn't really sound like DSL is just as good or even better to me.

Wait and see what happens when other people in your area decide to go
cable modem as well. Then come back and tell us what your speeds are.

WichitaRedneck
September 1st 03, 10:41 PM
>The DSL package I could get that comes closest to cable is (Up to) 640k
>down and (Up to) 256k up for $32 per month (Does not include ISP). Say
>I find a decent ISP for $18 per month. That's $50 per month for
>640/256. I live pretty close to my C.O., so I'd probably get pretty

My DSL is $35 mo and includes the ISP and my speeds are 1.5mps down and 256k
up.

Ed Nielsen
September 1st 03, 11:15 PM
David Wood wrote:

> By those rates, I'm guessing you mean k as in kilobits per second. At
> any rate, I'm suprised you can't find a better DSL provider that isn't
> capping your speed. Earthlink DSL for me in Northern VA is much faster
> than that, giving me about 1.5 megabits per second download, just as
> they advertised.

Yes, kbps.

> Wait and see what happens when other people in your area decide to go
> cable modem as well. Then come back and tell us what your speeds are.

After 1 1/2 years and pretty good penetration, my speeds are as posted.

CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
CENCOM
http://www.cencom94.com

WichitaRedneck
September 2nd 03, 04:07 AM
>> My DSL is $35 mo and includes the ISP and my speeds are 1.5mps down and
>256k
>> up.
>
>And the name and location of this service is??? And why are you posting
>through AOL?

Bellsouth Fast Access. And I post thru AOL because the AOL news reader is the
best one and since I pay for an AOL broadband sub- mostly because my wife and
kids like it- I feel I may as well use it. But my ISP is Bellsouth dot net.

ric
September 2nd 03, 07:29 AM
WichitaRedneck wrote:

> >> My DSL is $35 mo and includes the ISP and my speeds are 1.5mps down and
> >256k
> >> up.
> >
> >And the name and location of this service is??? And why are you posting
> >through AOL?
>
> Bellsouth Fast Access. And I post thru AOL because the AOL news reader is the
> best one and since I pay for an AOL broadband sub- mostly because my wife and
> kids like it- I feel I may as well use it. But my ISP is Bellsouth dot net.

http://www.fastaccess.com/content/consumer/product_comparison.jsp

The above site says only "DSL Lite" is $35/month, and it is capped at
256k/128k. The 1.5M/256k (maximum) DSL is $45/month. And those prices
are only valid if you are already a "Bell South Answers" plan customer.
If not, add $5/month.

You're wrong again, Kev.

WichitaRedneck
September 4th 03, 12:39 AM
>The above site says only "DSL Lite" is $35/month, and it is capped at
>256k/128k. The 1.5M/256k (maximum) DSL is $45/month. And those prices
>are only valid if you are already a "Bell South Answers" plan customer.

It is the BellSouth Complete Plan and I have a special discount for being an
annual customer.

ric
September 4th 03, 06:17 AM
WichitaRedneck wrote:

> >The above site says only "DSL Lite" is $35/month, and it is capped at
> >256k/128k. The 1.5M/256k (maximum) DSL is $45/month. And those prices
> >are only valid if you are already a "Bell South Answers" plan customer.
>
> It is the BellSouth Complete Plan and I have a special discount for being an
> annual customer.

<g>. OK. <g>.

Thomas T. Veldhouse
September 22nd 03, 07:51 PM
"agn" > wrote in message

> > DEATH TO COMCAST
> >
> > THAT COMAPNY IS EVIL.
>
> They may be evil, but until satellite comes up with a true two way high
> speed internet service at a reasonable price, they've got them beat six
> ways from Sunday.

It is absolutely impossible for two-way internet via sattellite uplink to
every overcome the latency issues. For this reason, it is not really worth
discussing competition between them. For most people, it is a matter of
having satellite Internet because they can not get a highspeed land based
option.

Tom Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse
September 22nd 03, 07:53 PM
"agn" > wrote in message
> Their high speed internet access via cable is unbeatable in both price and
> performance.
>
> Neither Starband or Direcway come close.
>
> When they bundle up the internet access with their basic programming
package
> along with the usual "incentives" (taking a page out of satellite's book),
> it's very hard to compete with.
>
> I've lost more than a few DISH/DTV subs in the last few months to their
> offers.
>
> I really can't blame 'em.

But satellite providers have true integrated PVR/DVR systems (DirecTV being
the front runner in terms of options provided by the Tivo software).
Comcast will not be stealing any of these subscriber in the near decade. :)

Tom Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse
September 22nd 03, 07:57 PM
"agn" > wrote in message
> What's your point?
>
> $400 is $400.
>
> Is DTV or DISH offering you $400 to switch from cable?

They didn't have to offer me anything! Although back when I moved they
offered me NFL Sunday Ticket and the all the Premiums for 44.25 / month. I
was pretty happy to say the least. Made then Media One look pretty bad (and
their picture, analog at the time, was very bad on most channels).

Tom Veldhouse

agn
September 23rd 03, 03:47 AM

> But satellite providers have true integrated PVR/DVR systems (DirecTV
being
> the front runner in terms of options provided by the Tivo software).
> Comcast will not be stealing any of these subscriber in the near decade.
:)

> Tom Veldhouse

PVRs are a big seller right now and people love them but Comcast is planning
to offer them in the near future also.

TIVO standalones work fine with the local cable now.

agn
September 23rd 03, 03:49 AM
> They didn't have to offer me anything! Although back when I moved they
> offered me NFL Sunday Ticket and the all the Premiums for 44.25 / month.
> was pretty happy to say the least. Made then Media One look pretty bad
(and
> their picture, analog at the time, was very bad on most channels).
>
> Tom Veldhouse

Whatever works for you. The cable picture quality here is at worst the same
as DTV/DISH and at best better.

Satellite is a tough sell right now around here.... Let alone hanging on to
the customer base I have .

WichitaRedneck
September 24th 03, 11:42 PM
>> Their high speed internet access via cable is unbeatable in both price and
>> performance.
>>
>> Neither Starband or Direcway come close.

DSL is as good or even better in some cases

WichitaRedneck
September 24th 03, 11:44 PM
>It is absolutely impossible for two-way internet via sattellite uplink to
>every overcome the latency issues. For this reason, it is not really worth
>discussing competition between them. For most people, it is a matter of
>having satellite Internet because they can not get a highspeed land based
>option.
>
>Tom Veldhouse

What they need to do is form a partnership with the phone companies for a
DSL/DBS service all combined on a single bill at a discount and forget that 2
way satellite crap.

Dan Abel
September 25th 03, 12:59 AM
In article >,
(WichitaRedneck) wrote:

> What they need to do is form a partnership with the phone companies for a
> DSL/DBS service all combined on a single bill at a discount and forget that 2
> way satellite crap.

I do the DSL/DBS thing, and although I would like a discount and a single
bill, I'm pretty happy.

We don't want to forget about the two way satellite crap, because that is
the only high speed option in places that don't have cable and the phone
line is too long to work for DSL.

186,000 miles per second - it's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Thomas T. Veldhouse
September 25th 03, 04:55 PM
"WichitaRedneck" > wrote in message
> >> Their high speed internet access via cable is unbeatable in both price
and
> >> performance.
> >>
> >> Neither Starband or Direcway come close.
>
> DSL is as good or even better in some cases

Why not respond to the person who poasted that message rather than to me
(who did not)?

Tom Veldhouse

WichitaRedneck
September 26th 03, 01:56 AM
>Why not respond to the person who poasted that message rather than to me
>(who did not)?

Oh! Sorry. A mistake.

WichitaRedneck
September 26th 03, 01:59 AM
>We don't want to forget about the two way satellite crap, because that is
>the only high speed option in places that don't have cable and the phone
>line is too long to work for DSL.

I just don't see it as ever working good enough to facilitate high speed 2 way
real time transmission. The best thing for those without DSL would be the
development and wide spread deployment of Wi Fi technology.