PDA

View Full Version : Re: Question About Moving

WichitaRedneck
August 28th 03, 11:50 AM
>Could I simply not tell DirecTV I am moving and set up the satellite myself
>and simply plug my receiver unit in there and have it work?

Yes.> It wouldn't be
>a problem in terms of billing because my brother will still be living at the
>old address and could forward the bills to me. Does this seem like it

It would not even matter if you told them to send the bills to your "office" in
Orange County. I must point out however that, while you will keep your eastern
networks, you will not gain the benefit of getting all the L.A. stations that
you would if you went L.A. local.

EmohT
August 29th 03, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the help. I thought about the fact I wouldn't be getting the
"local" Orange County versions of the 4 channels, but I feel that having the
convenience of the other time zone outweighs that. I would be getting them
from LA anyway so I actually don't think it will be a huge issue. I'll just
plan on getting a new satellite dish myself.

Just curious, does anyone know the best place to get just the dish?

Thanks.

"WichitaRedneck" > wrote in message
> >Could I simply not tell DirecTV I am moving and set up the satellite
myself
> >and simply plug my receiver unit in there and have it work?
>
> Yes.> It wouldn't be
> >a problem in terms of billing because my brother will still be living at
the
> >old address and could forward the bills to me. Does this seem like it
>
> It would not even matter if you told them to send the bills to your
"office" in
> Orange County. I must point out however that, while you will keep your
eastern
> networks, you will not gain the benefit of getting all the L.A. stations
that
> you would if you went L.A. local.

Jack Ak
August 29th 03, 03:28 AM
"EmohT" > wrote in message .. .
> Thanks for the help. I thought about the fact I wouldn't be getting the
> "local" Orange County versions of the 4 channels, but I feel that having the
> convenience of the other time zone outweighs that. I would be getting them
> from LA anyway so I actually don't think it will be a huge issue. I'll just
> plan on getting a new satellite dish myself.
>
> Just curious, does anyone know the best place to get just the dish?

Call DirecTV and tell them you are moving and leaving the old dish.
Give them your current address and say *you* will install the new
dish when you arrive at the new address.

You'll get about 20 channels in the LA locals package for $5 monthly,
compared with those four East coast networks that now cost you $8 monthly.

Is having WB and UPN worth saving $3 on your monthly bill and giving up the
East coast networks? You won't have those two without the LA locals package.

EmohT
August 29th 03, 11:34 AM
In my opinion it is worth the extra $3 a month and the lack of WB and UPN.
I can honestly say there is not a single show on the UPN that I have ever
wanted to see. I can think of possibly one show on WB that I wouldn't mind
seeing, but I could live without. I've had an east coast feed now for 10
years between DirecTV and CBand satellite and I can't imagine not having it.
It becomes so convenient in terms of watching programs that are on channels
simultaneously. The other positive that is only a very small factor, but
becomes more significant this time of year, is the eastern feeds often have
different NFL matchups on Sundays. Thus I can often have 4 different
options in terms of football games on at any one time on Sunday without the
added cost of Sunday Ticket.

"Jack Ak" > wrote in message
m...
> "EmohT" > wrote in message
.. .
> > Thanks for the help. I thought about the fact I wouldn't be getting the
> > "local" Orange County versions of the 4 channels, but I feel that having
the
> > convenience of the other time zone outweighs that. I would be getting
them
> > from LA anyway so I actually don't think it will be a huge issue. I'll
just
> > plan on getting a new satellite dish myself.
> >
> > Just curious, does anyone know the best place to get just the dish?
> >

> Call DirecTV and tell them you are moving and leaving the old dish.
> Give them your current address and say *you* will install the new
> dish when you arrive at the new address.
>
> You'll get about 20 channels in the LA locals package for $5 monthly,
> compared with those four East coast networks that now cost you $8 monthly.
>
> Is having WB and UPN worth saving $3 on your monthly bill and giving up
the
> East coast networks? You won't have those two without the LA locals
package.

Drewdawg
August 29th 03, 07:14 PM
"EmohT" > wrote in message
.. .
> Thanks for the help. I thought about the fact I wouldn't be getting the
> "local" Orange County versions of the 4 channels, but I feel that having
the
> convenience of the other time zone outweighs that.

If you're talking about ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX you are receiving the Orange
County versions. The OC watches KABC, KCBS, KNBC & KTTV. The only major
channels you'd be missing out on are

KCET-28 (PBS)
KPXN-30 (PAX & KNBC news rebroadcast)
KOCE-50 (more PBS)
KDOC-56 (good Independent)
KLCS-58 (LA school & PBS)

What city in the OC are you moving to? Even as far south as Lake Forest I
could pick up all LA locals on a good indoor antenna. An outdoor one will
get them all clean plus some from San Diego (which I occasionally watched
from Lakewood).

Keep the feeds, get an aerial for the rest (oh, and for HD).

> Just curious, does anyone know the best place to get just the dish?

Try E-Bay, I've got a spare one when my parents arranged an install on their
new house which already had a dish. I'm sure there are quite a few 'extra
dish' subscribers out there.