PDA

View Full Version : why bother 2 inputs to multiswitch

lee lindley
August 30th 03, 05:33 PM
I have a hughes tivo with 2 satellite inputs and another directv
receiver in the other room. I currently have one satellite feed to
the tivo and the second lnb feeds the other room.

I bought a Terk bms34 multiswitch.

1) One of my lnbs will feed only the tivo. Why should I run that
signal through the multiswitch? Can I just run the second satellite
lnb feed through the multiswitch and out to both devices? Or do I
really need to feed both inputs to the multiswitch even though one of
the two signals will only go to one device?

2) The text on the back of the multiswitch says to feed an 18V input
into one jack and the 13V input to the other. How do I know which is
which and does it matter?

Greywolf
August 30th 03, 05:58 PM
"lee lindley" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a hughes tivo with 2 satellite inputs and another directv
> receiver in the other room. I currently have one satellite feed to
> the tivo and the second lnb feeds the other room.
>
> I bought a Terk bms34 multiswitch.
>
> 1) One of my lnbs will feed only the tivo. Why should I run that
> signal through the multiswitch? Can I just run the second satellite
> lnb feed through the multiswitch and out to both devices? Or do I
> really need to feed both inputs to the multiswitch even though one of
> the two signals will only go to one device?

You need both. The 13V connection will handle odd numbered transponders and
the 18V the evens. The receiver sends the 13V/18V signal as needed for the
channel chosen. The multiswitch receives the signal, routes the connection
to the appropriate leg, and passes the appropriate voltage to the LNB. All
channels on even transponders will be routed to the side of the LNB
connected to the 18V terminal on the multiswitch for example.

> 2) The text on the back of the multiswitch says to feed an 18V input
> into one jack and the 13V input to the other. How do I know which is
> which and does it matter?

Both connections on a dual LNB are the same so it doesn't matter which is
which. The multiswitch connections will make one side handle all the odd
transponders and the other side handle all the evens.

Pat