HomeCinemaBanter

HomeCinemaBanter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/index.php)
-   UK sky (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Freesat Dish Question (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/showthread.php?t=59248)

Sofa - Spud June 30th 08 05:27 PM

Freesat Dish Question

Nigel Barker wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:56:33 +0100, Krustov wrote:

uk.media.tv.misc
John Russell
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:32:00 +0100

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the 10 a month charge to stop people leaving.
I do find it strange that people think SKY customers want "sat" TV for it's
own sake, and will move to Freesat to get their "fix" for nothing. SKY
customers want the channels they can only get from SKY.

I've arranged to have 'freesat by sky' fitted (150) but unless they
make me a offer i cant refuse then i'm unlikely to subscribe to any pay
tv packages they offer .

(not even sure i would be interested in a half price deal for six months
and it would need to be a year at half price to interest me)

While sky know their customers well - its possible they might have
missed out on this one as its kinda hard to miss what you dont have .

Perhaps thats why sky is so keen to push the 75 option when you phone
them - because the hook to get you subscribed will eventually make them
lots more money .

You would have saved 75 pounds by opting for the Sky "Pay Once Watch Forever"
offer. You even get a 4 Mix Sky subscription for four months included in the
price of just 75 pounds. Just remember to cancel the subscription before the 4
months is up.
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/adv...-Watch-Forever
--

Cheers

Nigel Barker
Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur

I hope the cote d'azur is very mice however for UKmediaTV Misc you have
an unfortunate surname!

The dog from that film you saw June 30th 08 06:45 PM

Freesat Dish Question

"Ed" wrote in message

Freesat and Sky are broadcast from the same satellite. So the same
dish size and dish direction can be used. "

Many thanks. That's what I thought, but some bloke down the pub was
telling anyone that would listen that I was talking out of my arse and
that he could come and realign their dishes for them if people wanted
freesat.

maybe he had been drinking alcohol.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

The dog from that film you saw June 30th 08 06:47 PM

Freesat Dish Question

"Ed" wrote in message

How successful are Freeview PVR's? I'm sure there are sky haters wanting a
Freesat SKY+ but is that the bulk of the target market?

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the 10 a month charge to stop people leaving

they did - months ago.
unless you mean using it for free without a subscription - if you want to do
that, you're not actually with them - to leave.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

News Reader June 30th 08 08:31 PM

Freesat Dish Question

"Ed" wrote in message

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed

Hi,

Just a quick thought possibly worth mentioning...

.... you / it is generally realised I hope that ...

.... FreeSat (SD rather than HD) is essentially identical to a Sky box
without a subscription except you get about 800 less channels...?

I.e. switching from Sky to FreeSat will just get you less channels. If you
just cancelled your Sky subscription you could continue using the Sky box
for all the free channels - which is substantially more than are available
using FreeSat.

I.e. everything on FreeSat is available on an unsubscribed Sky box + their
is even more (and a lot more - including interactive services as well as
hundreds of channels) available on the Sky box (with or without an expired
viewing card - and NO subscription - NOTHING to do with Sky... you don't
talk to them or anything... just plug it in [or if you chose to become an
ex-customer.... just leave it plugged in and cancel the service with them
and the rest of it with all the free channels [all those on Freesat + loads
more] continue - just without the paying Sky anything bit).

Hope that makes some sense and might be useful to you or someone.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Mark Carver June 30th 08 09:28 PM

Freesat Dish Question

Krustov wrote:

Apparently there was a hack for one of the freesat boxes that allowed
you to add more FTA channels to it - or summit .

Yes, the Humax allows you to add non Freesat FTA channels, but not to the
Freesat EPG itself. The other boxes currently don't allow that, but a s/w
upgrade is promised.

--
Mark

Zero Tolerance June 30th 08 10:05 PM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:17:39 +0200, Nigel Barker
wrote:

The Sky EPG is poor. It is 10 years old & has never been updated. Slow, clunky
& ugly. A decent computer based PVR has a far better EPG.

Sure. But name any set top box with a better EPG than Sky?

(BT Vision possibly, but that doesn't count.)

Ed July 1st 08 09:23 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Jun 30, 8:31*pm, "News Reader" wrote:
"Ed" wrote in message

[...]

I'd like a PVR that I dont have to pay 10 a month to use, that picks
up the majority of watchable channels. I have no need for the 800
shopping/god/foreign/E4 **** that infests Sky and supposedly is worth
paying for

Ed July 1st 08 09:23 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Jun 30, 6:47*pm, "The dog from that film you saw"
wrote:
"Ed" wrote in message

How successful are Freeview PVR's? I'm sure there are sky haters wanting a
Freesat SKY+ but is that the bulk of the target market?

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the 10 a month charge to stop people leaving

they did - months ago.
unless you mean using it for free without a subscription - if you want to do
that, you're not actually with them - to leave.

Yes, that's what I mean. It's a damned cheek!

Nigel Barker[_2_] July 1st 08 10:10 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

The Sky EPG is poor. It is 10 years old & has never been updated. Slow, clunky
& ugly. A decent computer based PVR has a far better EPG.

Sure. But name any set top box with a better EPG than Sky?

(BT Vision possibly, but that doesn't count.)

If you are talking about the UK market only then that may be true which is a
pretty sad state of affairs.

Take a look at what DirecTV do in the US.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...64992194207323

Nigel Barker[_2_] July 1st 08 10:12 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:31:39 +0100, "News Reader" wrote:

"Ed" wrote in message

[...]

You cannot however pop into John Lewis, Argos or wherever & buy a Sky digibox.
You can buy a Freesat box off the shelf.