HomeCinemaBanter

HomeCinemaBanter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/index.php)
-   UK sky (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Freesat Dish Question (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/showthread.php?t=59248)

The dog from that film you saw July 6th 08 12:26 PM

Freesat Dish Question

"Felicity S." [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]
John Russell wrote:

Equally "most" PVR's don't recive SKY!

I'm complaining about the propaganda where Sky+ is touted as the answer
to perceived difficulties with VCRs. No mention is made of Sky channels
as they're aimed at the people who don't want to subscribe and are quite
happy with the BBC etc - and who haven't heard about better PVRs.

of course sky will say their product is the answer in their own adverts - if
the other pvr makers want publicity they need to make their own.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

John Russell July 6th 08 12:49 PM

Freesat Dish Question

John Russell wrote:

Equally "most" PVR's don't recive SKY!

I'm complaining about the propaganda where Sky+ is touted as the answer
to perceived difficulties with VCRs. No mention is made of Sky channels
as they're aimed at the people who don't want to subscribe and are quite
happy with the BBC etc - and who haven't heard about better PVRs.

Better PVR's which recieve SKY?
You can't mix and match cars. You can't ask for a porsche with a BMW engine
and rolls intereriors. If you want SKY yo get a SKY digibox. Only an idiot
would restrict what they can watch in order to get a particluer PVR! Seems
like you would!

Krustov July 6th 08 01:54 PM

Freesat Dish Question

uk.media.tv.misc
John Russell
Sun, 6 Jul 2008 12:49:55 +0100

Better PVR's which recieve SKY?
You can't mix and match cars. You can't ask for a porsche with a BMW engine
and rolls intereriors. If you want SKY yo get a SKY digibox. Only an idiot
would restrict what they can watch in order to get a particluer PVR! Seems
like you would!

The idiots are getting freesat boxes fitted instead of sky freesat -
even though when the freesat pvr's come out they are going to have to
change boxes anyway .

They cant even work out that a sky box will probably sell for more money
on ebay than a old freesat box .

--
www.krustov.co.uk

Zero Tolerance July 6th 08 11:48 PM

Freesat Dish Question

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 09:36:42 BST, "Felicity S." [email protected]
wrote:

Please tell me where in the adverts with Michael Parkinson, Felicity
Kendal et al, they tell you how most PVRs also record at the touch of
a button, collect whole series, or pause & rewind while recording.

Please tell me where ANY advert also tells you about similar products
from other companies?

"Heinz Baked Beans are really good. Of course you could also just buy
Tesco Baked Beans instead, they're good too." ... doesn't happen.

The way they make it sound that Sky+ is the only answer to perceived
difficulties of VCRs,

Again, I don't think you'll find they ever say or suggest that it's
the ONLY answer. Just that it's an answer.

Felicity S. July 8th 08 06:31 PM

Freesat Dish Question

John Russell wrote:

Felicity S. wrote:

John Russell wrote:

Equally "most" PVR's don't recive SKY!

I'm complaining about the propaganda where Sky+ is touted as the answer
to perceived difficulties with VCRs. No mention is made of Sky channels
as they're aimed at the people who don't want to subscribe and are quite
happy with the BBC etc - and who haven't heard about better PVRs.

Better PVR's which recieve SKY? If you want SKY yo get a SKY digibox.

You're not listening.

The adverts are aimed at people who do not want Sky.

Fliss

--
She said: Are you all right in there?
He said: I just got a bit of a fright - on a plus

Gwyn July 26th 08 03:00 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:54:28 +0100, Krustov wrote:

They cant even work out that a sky box will probably sell for more money
on ebay than a old freesat box .

most people who get freesat are doing it for HD you'd be mad to pay
for sd freesat when you get sky sd for 75 GBP.

So most people will have a HD freesat box for sale when PVR's come
along this will sell for way more than a sky sd box
--
Gwyn.
Remove rem if replying

Gwyn July 26th 08 03:20 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:31:39 +0100, "News Reader"
wrote:

Just a quick thought possibly worth mentioning...

... you / it is generally realised I hope that ...

... FreeSat (SD rather than HD) is essentially identical to a Sky box
without a subscription except you get about 800 less channels...?

er no not on the humax you get all the fta channels in non freesat
mode the only useful channel I can see that im missing on my humax is
Setanta Sports news because its ftv but i get sky sports news on
freeview so no probs there.

If your taking about pay channels then you are missing the point of
FREEsat that it is FREE not pay thru your nose

I.e. switching from Sky to FreeSat will just get you less channels. If you
just cancelled your Sky subscription you could continue using the Sky box
for all the free channels - which is substantially more than are available
using FreeSat.

Again you are totally and utterly wrong

I.e. everything on FreeSat is available on an unsubscribed Sky box + their
is even more (and a lot more - including interactive services as well as
hundreds of channels) available on the Sky box (with or without an expired
viewing card - and NO subscription - NOTHING to do with Sky... you don't
talk to them or anything... just plug it in [or if you chose to become an
ex-customer.... just leave it plugged in and cancel the service with them
and the rest of it with all the free channels [all those on Freesat + loads
more] continue - just without the paying Sky anything bit).

Except most people want HD without paying sky thru the nose for
Do sky make a standard HD box no is the answer your looking for

You have a point about the interactive services in that my Humax
doesn't seem to be interactive at all hopefully this will be sorted
out in a future upgrade. In any case you could probably find the
stream in non freesat mode.

Hope that makes some sense and might be useful to you or someone.

It would make more sense if you got some clue as to what you're on
about
--
Gwyn.
Remove rem if replying

Felicity S. August 2nd 08 01:46 AM

Freesat Dish Question

Gwyn wrote:

Krustov wrote:

They cant even work out that a sky box will probably sell for more
money on ebay than a old freesat box .

most people who get freesat are doing it for HD you'd be mad to pay
for sd freesat when you get sky sd for 75 GBP.

We've already worked out that the MINIMUM cost, taking advantage of all
special offers, of a "75" Sky HD recorder is 1,665 over five years.

Fliss

--
She said: So then he must have already had the head with him in the
front seat. Huh, that's weird. Why would he keep it there?

Nigel Barker[_2_] August 2nd 08 10:14 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 01:46:44 BST, "Felicity S." [email protected] wrote:

Gwyn wrote:

Krustov wrote:

They cant even work out that a sky box will probably sell for more
money on ebay than a old freesat box .

most people who get freesat are doing it for HD you'd be mad to pay
for sd freesat when you get sky sd for 75 GBP.

We've already worked out that the MINIMUM cost, taking advantage of all
special offers, of a "75" Sky HD recorder is 1,665 over five years.

Fliss

The "Pay Once Watch Forever" promotion for "just 75 pounds" is actually a good
deal. You get a dish installed & a standard digibox plus four months of
subscription TV worth 78 pounds. Just remember to cancel the subscription
before the four months is up. The only drawback is that it is only available to
those who have never had a subsidised Sky installation before. I would guess
there are now very few who quality as most of those who might be interested in
satellite TV will have had Sky at some time in the past. For those who qualify
it is a bargain. Get the dish installed for 75 pounds & then buy yourself a
Humax Freesat HD box for 150 pounds & enjoy FTA HDTV for just 225 pounds for
ever.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse...7C10199371.htm
--

Cheers

Nigel Barker
Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur

John Russell August 3rd 08 06:36 PM

Freesat Dish Question

Gwyn wrote:

Krustov wrote:

They cant even work out that a sky box will probably sell for more
money on ebay than a old freesat box .

most people who get freesat are doing it for HD you'd be mad to pay
for sd freesat when you get sky sd for 75 GBP.

We've already worked out that the MINIMUM cost, taking advantage of all
special offers, of a "75" Sky HD recorder is 1,665 over five years.

Fliss

--
She said: So then he must have already had the head with him in the
front seat. Huh, that's weird. Why would he keep it there?
He said: I don't know. So he could use a carpool lane.

Shear spin! Your implying "all" the costs of getting SKY are down to owning
a SKY HD box. Most of the cost is down to subscribing to channels whatever
SKY box you use. If you want those channels (only an idiot would have
"additional cost".