HomeCinemaBanter

HomeCinemaBanter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/index.php)
-   UK sky (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Freesat Dish Question (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/showthread.php?t=59248)

Ed June 30th 08 09:18 AM

Freesat Dish Question

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed

Mike Plowman June 30th 08 09:26 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:18:20 -0700 (PDT), Ed
wrote:

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed

http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/200...t-on-sky-dish/

" If you have already a Sky mini-dish attached to your house and
pointed at the Sky satellite, you can use the same dish for receiving
Freesat.

Just plug the cable coming from the dish to back of your new receiver.
Thatís it. No need to get a new dish or upgrade anything.

Freesat and Sky are broadcast from the same satellite. So the same
dish size and dish direction can be used. "

Ed June 30th 08 09:28 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed

http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/200...t-on-sky-dish/

" If you have already a Sky mini-dish attached to your house and
pointed at the Sky satellite, you can use the same dish for receiving
Freesat.

Just plug the cable coming from the dish to back of your new receiver.
Thatís it. No need to get a new dish or upgrade anything.

Freesat and Sky are broadcast from the same satellite. So the same
dish size and dish direction can be used. "

Many thanks. That's what I thought, but some bloke down the pub was
telling anyone that would listen that I was talking out of my arse and
that he could come and realign their dishes for them if people wanted
freesat.

Ed June 30th 08 09:32 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

[...]

freesat.- Hide quoted text -

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

Krustov June 30th 08 09:36 AM

Freesat Dish Question

uk.media.tv.misc
Ed
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:18:20 -0700 (PDT)

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

TMK its the same bunch of satellites that are used .

Apparently there was a hack for one of the freesat boxes that allowed
you to add more FTA channels to it - or summit .

--
www.krustov.co.uk

Mike Plowman June 30th 08 09:39 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:32:29 -0700 (PDT), Ed
wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28*am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26*am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.

Ed June 30th 08 09:56 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28*am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26*am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.

Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

Mike Plowman June 30th 08 10:09 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28*am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26*am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.

Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

I have no idea. Seems bloody stupid planning. Humax are supposed ot be
launching one but when is anybody's guess.

Brian McIlwrath June 30th 08 10:36 AM

Freesat Dish Question

In uk.media.tv.sky Ed wrote:
: Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

I can also help answer that! Only a very few manufacturers were willing
to sign up for Freesat for launch (4, but 1 pulled out!) and, of these,
only Humax are making a PVR - it *WAS* going to be out about now but has
slipped to nearer the end of 2008.

John Russell June 30th 08 11:21 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28 am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26 am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.

Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

How successful are Freeview PVR's? I'm sure there are sky haters wanting a
Freesat SKY+ but is that the bulk of the target market?

Ed June 30th 08 11:43 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28 am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26 am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.
Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

How successful are Freeview PVR's? I'm sure there are sky haters wanting a
Freesat SKY+ but is that the bulk of the target market?

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the £10 a month charge to stop people leaving

Krustov June 30th 08 12:09 PM

Freesat Dish Question

uk.media.tv.misc
John Russell
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:21:24 +0100

How successful are Freeview PVR's?

The biggest gripe seems to be that most freeview pvrs dont have a series
link - and the epg on freeview boxes is nowhere near as good as skys .

--
www.krustov.co.uk

Krustov June 30th 08 12:09 PM

Freesat Dish Question

uk.media.tv.misc
Ed
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 03:43:56 -0700 (PDT)

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the £10 a month charge to stop people leaving

But most people wont leave sky when the freesat pvrs come out because
the chances are they will be half way through a series on sky one or the
scifi channel etc .

And even if somebody does intend to leave after a certain series is
finished - then the chances are they will have started to watch a new
series by then - and its a never ending loop .

--
www.krustov.co.uk

John Russell June 30th 08 12:32 PM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28 am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26 am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.
Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

How successful are Freeview PVR's? I'm sure there are sky haters wanting a
Freesat SKY+ but is that the bulk of the target market?

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the £10 a month charge to stop people leaving.

I do find it strange that people think SKY customers want "sat" TV for it's
own sake, and will move to Freesat to get their "fix" for nothing. SKY
customers want the channels they can only get from SKY. I can't see the
point of paying for TV you don't want, how ever it's delivered.

Krustov June 30th 08 12:56 PM

Freesat Dish Question

uk.media.tv.misc
John Russell
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:32:00 +0100

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the £10 a month charge to stop people leaving.

I do find it strange that people think SKY customers want "sat" TV for it's
own sake, and will move to Freesat to get their "fix" for nothing. SKY
customers want the channels they can only get from SKY.

I've arranged to have 'freesat by sky' fitted (£150) but unless they
make me a offer i cant refuse then i'm unlikely to subscribe to any pay
tv packages they offer .

(not even sure i would be interested in a half price deal for six months
and it would need to be a year at half price to interest me)

While sky know their customers well - its possible they might have
missed out on this one as its kinda hard to miss what you dont have .

Perhaps thats why sky is so keen to push the £75 option when you phone
them - because the hook to get you subscribed will eventually make them
lots more money .

--
www.krustov.co.uk

Nigel Barker[_2_] June 30th 08 01:15 PM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:56:33 +0100, Krustov wrote:

uk.media.tv.misc
John Russell
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:32:00 +0100

[...]

You would have saved 75 pounds by opting for the Sky "Pay Once Watch Forever"
offer. You even get a 4 Mix Sky subscription for four months included in the
price of just 75 pounds. Just remember to cancel the subscription before the 4
months is up.
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/adv...-Watch-Forever
--

Cheers

Nigel Barker
Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur

Nigel Barker[_2_] June 30th 08 01:17 PM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:09:45 +0100, Krustov wrote:

uk.media.tv.misc
John Russell
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:21:24 +0100

How successful are Freeview PVR's?

The biggest gripe seems to be that most freeview pvrs dont have a series
link - and the epg on freeview boxes is nowhere near as good as skys .

The Sky EPG is poor. It is 10 years old & has never been updated. Slow, clunky
& ugly. A decent computer based PVR has a far better EPG.

John Russell June 30th 08 01:20 PM

Freesat Dish Question

"Nigel Barker" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:09:45 +0100, Krustov wrote:

uk.media.tv.misc
John Russell
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:21:24 +0100

How successful are Freeview PVR's?

The biggest gripe seems to be that most freeview pvrs dont have a series
link - and the epg on freeview boxes is nowhere near as good as skys .

The Sky EPG is poor. It is 10 years old & has never been updated. Slow,
clunky
& ugly. A decent computer based PVR has a far better EPG.

The SKY HD EPG is to be updated in the Autumn. The aim is to go towards a
program oriented system, rather than channel based. That alloys VOD to be
integrated as VOD dosn't have a channel.

Krustov June 30th 08 01:34 PM

Freesat Dish Question

uk.media.tv.misc
Nigel Barker
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:15:40 +0200

You would have saved 75 pounds by opting for the Sky "Pay Once Watch Forever"
offer. You even get a 4 Mix Sky subscription for four months included in the
price of just 75 pounds. Just remember to cancel the subscription before the 4
months is up.

With the £75 option you also need to keep the sky box connected to a
phone line for one year - or you are in breach of contract .

--
www.krustov.co.uk

Nigel Barker[_2_] June 30th 08 01:44 PM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:34:59 +0100, Krustov wrote:

uk.media.tv.misc
Nigel Barker
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:15:40 +0200

You would have saved 75 pounds by opting for the Sky "Pay Once Watch Forever"
offer. You even get a 4 Mix Sky subscription for four months included in the
price of just 75 pounds. Just remember to cancel the subscription before the 4
months is up.

With the £75 option you also need to keep the sky box connected to a
phone line for one year - or you are in breach of contract .

I would happily do that to save 75 pounds.

Sofa - Spud June 30th 08 05:27 PM

Freesat Dish Question

Nigel Barker wrote:
[...]

I hope the cote d'azur is very mice however for UKmediaTV Misc you have
an unfortunate surname!

The dog from that film you saw June 30th 08 06:45 PM

Freesat Dish Question

"Ed" wrote in message

Freesat and Sky are broadcast from the same satellite. So the same
dish size and dish direction can be used. "

Many thanks. That's what I thought, but some bloke down the pub was
telling anyone that would listen that I was talking out of my arse and
that he could come and realign their dishes for them if people wanted
freesat.

maybe he had been drinking alcohol.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

The dog from that film you saw June 30th 08 06:47 PM

Freesat Dish Question

"Ed" wrote in message

How successful are Freeview PVR's? I'm sure there are sky haters wanting a
Freesat SKY+ but is that the bulk of the target market?

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the £10 a month charge to stop people leaving

they did - months ago.
unless you mean using it for free without a subscription - if you want to do
that, you're not actually with them - to leave.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

News Reader June 30th 08 08:31 PM

Freesat Dish Question

"Ed" wrote in message

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed

Hi,

Just a quick thought possibly worth mentioning...

.... you / it is generally realised I hope that ...

.... FreeSat (SD rather than HD) is essentially identical to a Sky box
without a subscription except you get about 800 less channels...?

I.e. switching from Sky to FreeSat will just get you less channels. If you
just cancelled your Sky subscription you could continue using the Sky box
for all the free channels - which is substantially more than are available
using FreeSat.

I.e. everything on FreeSat is available on an unsubscribed Sky box + their
is even more (and a lot more - including interactive services as well as
hundreds of channels) available on the Sky box (with or without an expired
viewing card - and NO subscription - NOTHING to do with Sky... you don't
talk to them or anything... just plug it in [or if you chose to become an
ex-customer.... just leave it plugged in and cancel the service with them
and the rest of it with all the free channels [all those on Freesat + loads
more] continue - just without the paying Sky anything bit).

Hope that makes some sense and might be useful to you or someone.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Mark Carver June 30th 08 09:28 PM

Freesat Dish Question

Krustov wrote:

Apparently there was a hack for one of the freesat boxes that allowed
you to add more FTA channels to it - or summit .

Yes, the Humax allows you to add non Freesat FTA channels, but not to the
Freesat EPG itself. The other boxes currently don't allow that, but a s/w
upgrade is promised.

--
Mark

Zero Tolerance June 30th 08 10:05 PM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:17:39 +0200, Nigel Barker
wrote:

The Sky EPG is poor. It is 10 years old & has never been updated. Slow, clunky
& ugly. A decent computer based PVR has a far better EPG.

Sure. But name any set top box with a better EPG than Sky?

(BT Vision possibly, but that doesn't count.)

Ed July 1st 08 09:23 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Jun 30, 8:31*pm, "News Reader" wrote:
"Ed" wrote in message

[...]

I'd like a PVR that I dont have to pay £10 a month to use, that picks
up the majority of watchable channels. I have no need for the 800
shopping/god/foreign/E4 **** that infests Sky and supposedly is worth
paying for

Ed July 1st 08 09:23 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Jun 30, 6:47*pm, "The dog from that film you saw"
wrote:
"Ed" wrote in message

How successful are Freeview PVR's? I'm sure there are sky haters wanting a
Freesat SKY+ but is that the bulk of the target market?

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the £10 a month charge to stop people leaving

they did - months ago.
unless you mean using it for free without a subscription - if you want to do
that, you're not actually with them - to leave.

Yes, that's what I mean. It's a damned cheek!

Nigel Barker[_2_] July 1st 08 10:10 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

The Sky EPG is poor. It is 10 years old & has never been updated. Slow, clunky
& ugly. A decent computer based PVR has a far better EPG.

Sure. But name any set top box with a better EPG than Sky?

(BT Vision possibly, but that doesn't count.)

If you are talking about the UK market only then that may be true which is a
pretty sad state of affairs.

Take a look at what DirecTV do in the US.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...64992194207323

Nigel Barker[_2_] July 1st 08 10:12 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:31:39 +0100, "News Reader" wrote:

"Ed" wrote in message

[...]

You cannot however pop into John Lewis, Argos or wherever & buy a Sky digibox.
You can buy a Freesat box off the shelf.

JNugent[_3_] July 1st 08 11:20 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:28 am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26 am, Mike Plowman wrote:
And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?
It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.
Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

How successful are Freeview PVR's? I'm sure there are sky haters wanting a
Freesat SKY+ but is that the bulk of the target market?

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the £10 a month charge to stop people leaving

They've dropped that already, haven't they?

I don't pay it.

Ed July 1st 08 11:36 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:28 am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26 am, Mike Plowman wrote:
And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?
It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.
Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?
How successful are Freeview PVR's? I'm sure there are sky haters wanting a
Freesat SKY+ but is that the bulk of the target market?

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the £10 a month charge to stop people leaving

They've dropped that already, haven't they?

I don't pay it.- Hide quoted text -

If you dont have the minimum package you pay £10 a month to use the
recorder

Nigel Barker[_2_] July 1st 08 11:44 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:28 am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26 am, Mike Plowman wrote:
And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?
It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.
Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?
How successful are Freeview PVR's? I'm sure there are sky haters wanting a
Freesat SKY+ but is that the bulk of the target market?

I have Sky+ and am hoping that the second the Freesat PVRs go on sale
sky will drop the £10 a month charge to stop people leaving

They've dropped that already, haven't they?

I don't pay it.

You pay a Sky subscription of at least 16 pounds per month though don't you?
The Sky+ service is now 'free' but only to Sky subscribers.

Ed July 1st 08 12:07 PM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:28 am, Ed wrote:
[...]

Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur- Hide quoted text -

Yes, but it's a damned cheek to charge people to make the box work
given that I supposedly own it

PeeGee July 1st 08 12:30 PM

Freesat Dish Question

"Ed" wrote in message

[...]

The current Humax has the non-freesat FTA channels in a separate "mode",
I believe. Whether that will remain and the PVR have the same
capability, remains to be seen.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."

News Reader July 1st 08 01:55 PM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

"Ed" wrote in message

[...]

Yes indeed... thank you for you and all others replies.

The Sky £75 offer might be comparable value (particularly if you require
install) (obviously and then cancel after the free four months). Otherwise,
their is the "secondhand market" - but that is clearly anything but
convenient or the same as a retail packaged unit available on demand from a
high street retailer, etc.

Main thing from my point, was to make sure you were not going (nor anyone
else was going ) to go and by a FreeSat (SD) unit and expect something that
in fact they would have got more of for less via sticking with their
(cancelled subscription) Sky unit, etc., etc.

Best wishes,

News Reader

John Russell July 1st 08 02:35 PM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:28 am, Ed wrote:
[...]

It's in the same league as finding your BBC Freesat box can't be upgraded
to allow you to subscribe to Sky or Satanta once you you realise how crap
most of the free channels are.

Peter[_6_] July 1st 08 04:01 PM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

I have no idea. Seems bloody stupid planning. Humax are supposed ot be
launching one but when is anybody's guess.

I asked Freesat about this a couple of weeks ago, and was told "Humax
will be releasing their freesat digital television recorder in the
third quater of 2008. We recommend that you keep checking our website
for any updates."

Peter.

ADAM FOULKES July 1st 08 09:30 PM

Freesat Dish Question

Erm - are we forgetting the far superior Tivo here? Tivo is still an option
in the UK. OK there is no new hardware but if you have a thomson PVR - then
you are sorted - best interface by far!
Ad

Felicity S. July 2nd 08 01:19 AM

Freesat Dish Question

Nigel Barker wrote:

Krustov wrote:

John Russell Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:21:24 +0100 wrote:

How successful are Freeview PVR's?

They're very good!

The biggest gripe seems to be that most freeview pvrs dont have a series
link - and the epg on freeview boxes is nowhere near as good as skys .

The Sky EPG is poor. It is 10 years old & has never been updated. Slow,
clunky & ugly. A decent computer based PVR has a far better EPG.

I don't know how bad the Sky EPG is, but I now have a Sony PVR and the
Freeview EPG is excellent; it most certainly does have series link.

Fliss

--
She said: So, fighting all those aliens is okay with
you, but a bit of skateboarding, and whoa.