HomeCinemaBanter

HomeCinemaBanter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/index.php)
-   UK sky (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Sky+ box? (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/showthread.php?t=22481)

Gareth September 13th 04 11:20 PM

New Sky+ box?

Does anyone have info on the likely price for a new
subscription/installation package for the pending new Sky+ boxes?

I'm trying to work out, still, if it's worth going for Sky now (with the £99
Sky+ install) or waiting a month or 2 for the new range of boxes. Money is
of the essence and I need to spend as little as possible - less than £200
for the installation and box.

--
Gareth.

Tumbleweed September 13th 04 11:36 PM

"Gareth" wrote in message
Does anyone have info on the likely price for a new
subscription/installation package for the pending new Sky+ boxes?

I'm trying to work out, still, if it's worth going for Sky now (with the

£99
Sky+ install) or waiting a month or 2 for the new range of boxes. Money is
of the essence and I need to spend as little as possible - less than £200
for the installation and box.

--
Gareth.

Someone posted here a few days ago it was going to cost £350 IIRC.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Julian September 14th 04 12:28 AM

"Gareth" wrote in message
Does anyone have info on the likely price for a new
subscription/installation package for the pending new Sky+ boxes?

I'm trying to work out, still, if it's worth going for Sky now (with the

£99
Sky+ install) or waiting a month or 2 for the new range of boxes. Money is
of the essence and I need to spend as little as possible - less than £200
for the installation and box.

--
Gareth.

Someone posted here a few days ago it was going to cost £350 IIRC.

Murdoch's presentation said £399. Maybe a launch promo or new subscriber
promo could bring that down to £350 or even £300 but I think Gareth's dilema is
over. I don't think that there's a hope in hell that the cost of the new 160GB box
plus installation will come in under his £200 ceiling.

- Julian

Jomtien September 14th 04 06:30 PM

Gareth wrote:

Does anyone have info on the likely price for a new
subscription/installation package for the pending new Sky+ boxes?

My bet would be for £99 - £150 for old boxes and £299 for the new
ones. Free installation for new subscribers. Existing subscribers can
whistle.
£399 was originally mentioned for the new box but unless it does HDTV
or some other shiny new thing I can't see many people paying that much
extra.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/yvnsy
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)

Gareth September 14th 04 07:29 PM

"Gareth" wrote in message

snipped

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I will do much better than £99 and
having been stung so many time in the past as an early adopter I think I may
give the new boxes a miss. I'll sleep on it and procrastinate some more ;-)

Gareth.

Norman September 15th 04 05:01 PM

"Gareth" wrote in message

"Gareth" wrote in message

snipped

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I will do much better than £99 and
having been stung so many time in the past as an early adopter I think I

may
give the new boxes a miss. I'll sleep on it and procrastinate some more

;-)

Gareth.

If you can get the £99 deal go for it then just buy a 120gb drive and fit it
yourself. 60 hours (approx) recording time for around £150 : )

Norman

Fiona September 15th 04 11:57 PM

The message
from "Norman" contains these words:

If you can get the £99 deal go for it then just buy a 120gb drive and fit it
yourself. 60 hours (approx) recording time for around £150 : )

Is it true that the larger hard disks put into a digibox don't last
very long?

Fiona

Jomtien September 16th 04 09:43 AM

Fiona wrote:

Is it true that the larger hard disks put into a digibox don't last
very long?

No digibox drive will last forever. They will all fail at some point.
Larger drives may run hotter and so may fail sooner, or they may be
better built and so last longer. But at least some new large drives
come with longer warranties.

SkyTech September 16th 04 10:29 AM

the +160 will be 299 at cheapest offer

sky+ will become available free in certain circumstances

Stephen Stewart September 16th 04 12:21 PM

"SkyTech" wrote in message
the +160 will be 299 at cheapest offer

sky+ will become available free in certain circumstances

Such as?

Will it be any cheaper than the current offer for existing subscribers?

Stephen