HomeCinemaBanter

HomeCinemaBanter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/index.php)
-   UK digital tv (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Freeview aerial - 4G filter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/showthread.php?t=79532)

AnthonyL February 26th 19 01:17 PM

Freeview aerial - 4G filter

Neighbour has been having tuning problems and man in a van has just
put in a new aerial high gain 4g filtered pointing East to Waltham
(same as me) instead of West to Nottingham.

About 800m to the right and above us is a very full mobile mast.

So the question is should I have a 4g filter and if so would something
like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Labgear-F4G.../dp/B00CAM0E6Q

suffice or will it cause more problems than it solves.

I'm aware to be cautious of retuning whilst we have funny weather
conditions.

--
AnthonyL

AnthonyL February 26th 19 01:38 PM

Freeview aerial - 4G filter

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 13:17:43 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

Neighbour has been having tuning problems and man in a van has just
put in a new aerial high gain 4g filtered pointing East to Waltham
(same as me) instead of West to Nottingham.

About 800m to the right and above us is a very full mobile mast.

So the question is should I have a 4g filter and if so would something
like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Labgear-F4G.../dp/B00CAM0E6Q

suffice or will it cause more problems than it solves.

I'm aware to be cautious of retuning whilst we have funny weather
conditions.

Just to add but my neighbour has given me his Labgear Channel 59 and
Labgear 4G filters as they are built into his new aerial.

So should I use them? Pros and cons please.

--
AnthonyL

Graham.[_12_] February 26th 19 05:00 PM

Freeview aerial - 4G filter

Neighbour has been having tuning problems and man in a van has just
put in a new aerial high gain 4g filtered pointing East to Waltham
(same as me) instead of West to Nottingham.

About 800m to the right and above us is a very full mobile mast.

So the question is should I have a 4g filter and if so would something
like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Labgear-F4G.../dp/B00CAM0E6Q

suffice or will it cause more problems than it solves.

I'm aware to be cautious of retuning whilst we have funny weather
conditions.

Why not wait until you have an issue, them see if fitting a filter
cures it.
I would prefer a metal cased filter with f-connectors to this
plastic/Belling-Lee one.

Install it upstream of any distribution amplifier if you have one.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Brian Gaff February 26th 19 05:00 PM

Freeview aerial - 4G filter

Can you not suck it and see. You can get loads of advice but in the end,
often the practical application of the idea will give you the real world
result that might not be what the theory might suggest.
All filters have an insertion loss after all so it depends on the quality
of the signal and its variability over time whether it will work well or
not, and who can say what the future holds for moving channels about in any
case.

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 13:17:43 GMT,
lid (AnthonyL)

AnthonyL February 27th 19 10:58 AM

Freeview aerial - 4G filter

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 17:00:20 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

Neighbour has been having tuning problems and man in a van has just
put in a new aerial high gain 4g filtered pointing East to Waltham
(same as me) instead of West to Nottingham.

About 800m to the right and above us is a very full mobile mast.

So the question is should I have a 4g filter and if so would something
like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Labgear-F4G.../dp/B00CAM0E6Q

suffice or will it cause more problems than it solves.

I'm aware to be cautious of retuning whilst we have funny weather
conditions.

Why not wait until you have an issue, them see if fitting a filter
cures it.
I would prefer a metal cased filter with f-connectors to this
plastic/Belling-Lee one.

Install it upstream of any distribution amplifier if you have one.

No amplifiers.

I have issues regardless and the current weather isn't helping. Trees
in the way to Nottingham, a hill in the way to Waltham, a mobile mast
or two nearby (we're in a hollow near the top of a hill).

Hence the request for some advice as to whether the two filters I have
in my hand are snake-oil or not. Easy to put them in and jump to a
false conclusion.

--
AnthonyL