HomeCinemaBanter

HomeCinemaBanter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/index.php)
-   UK digital tv (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Nothing worth bothering about on tv (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/showthread.php?t=79722)

Brian Gaff August 20th 19 09:47 PM

Nothing worth bothering about on tv

I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen to tv,
despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its all rubbish,
well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm getting a life?

Martin[_3_] August 21st 19 10:41 AM

Nothing worth bothering about on tv

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 20:47:20 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen to tv,
despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its all rubbish,
well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm getting a life?

Tried BBC 4?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

John Hall[_2_] August 21st 19 11:35 AM

Nothing worth bothering about on tv

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen
to tv, despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its
all rubbish, well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm getting
a life?

I think it's the usual mid-summer lull. TV stations tend not to schedule
their best programmes for a time of year when audiences are down owing
to holidays and to people engaging in more outdoor pursuits.
--
John Hall
"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come

Andrew[_6_] August 21st 19 01:19 PM

wrote:

I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen to tv,
despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its all rubbish,
well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm getting a life?

Tried BBC 4?

+1

Jim Al-Kalili's series on inventions is rather good, though
the credits say PBS and not BBC.

Without sight, listening to tv sound channels must be a last
resort for most people.

Andrew[_6_] August 21st 19 01:21 PM

Nothing worth bothering about on tv

On 21/08/2019 10:35, John Hall wrote:
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen
to tv, despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its
all rubbish, well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm
getting a life?

I think it's the usual mid-summer lull. TV stations tend not to schedule
their best programmes for a time of year when audiences are down owing
to holidays and to people engaging in more outdoor pursuits.

There is always the GP practice fly-on-the-wall on C5 where you
could use your imagination to guess how bad (or trivial) the complaint
is.

Tufnell Park August 21st 19 03:19 PM

On 20/08/2019 20:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen to tv,
despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its all rubbish,
well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm getting a life?
Brian

I'm sure you're not the only person to think that, i rarely watch
terrestrial channels theses days.

Brian Gaff August 21st 19 03:25 PM

Nothing worth bothering about on tv

Yes full of bits already seen on 2 most of the time.
Besides if its not got AD these days I don't really bother.
Spoiled I suppose.

Indy Jess John August 21st 19 03:25 PM

wrote:

I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen to tv,
despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its all rubbish,
well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm getting a life?

Tried BBC 4?

+1

Jim Al-Kalili's series on inventions is rather good, though
the credits say PBS and not BBC.

snip
I tuned into BBC4 last night to watch how to see a Black Hole, only to
find it had been replaced by repeats of Peaky Blinders.

P*ss-ups and Breweries come to mind!

Jim

Brian Gaff August 21st 19 03:27 PM

Nothing worth bothering about on tv

I'm sure that has been on before and I'm not sure if it has AD or not. It
may have, but a lot of such programs are now below my attention level as
they are often done for the Tonka Toy generation.

He look here is how a laser works.... Yawn.

Brian Gaff August 21st 19 03:33 PM

Nothing worth bothering about on tv

I'm too much of a scrooge to subscribe for Telly stuff myself, If there was
a family with diverse interests, then fine but for me, nah..
I also feel that for us older folk who have enquiring minds there is a
tendency for many programs to be simply retreads of better but older
alternatives we have seen. I think there may well be a need for more
technical programming. Maybe there is something like this on Youtube but
sadly not much audio description on that.
I'd like a very detailed look into semiconductor design and manufacture,
or how polymer batteries are made, or perhaps more technical descriptions of
the data collected in space missions.