HomeCinemaBanter

HomeCinemaBanter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/index.php)
-   UK sky (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sky Gnome (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/showthread.php?t=37323)

Brian McKenna October 25th 05 05:43 PM

Sky Gnome
 

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
My gnome has arrived. It is made by Global Communications
www.globalcom.co.uk

Initial impression is that it is a bit more substantial than expected,

i.e.
heavier. Sound quality is OK considering speaker positioning, but a bit
tinny, the metal grills do not help. Will probably use with some small
amplified speakers. Comes with a smaller gnome 'base station'. Connects to
the RF, RS232 and audio phonos. Shame no phono loop out so will lose phono
connection to hi-fi (mini hi-fi with no phono out so need SCART with
breakout I think). For my use, listening to radio 7 etc around home in
highlands where no DAB signal, the gnome should be ideal.

Roy



Thanks Roy,i am getting one for the same reason,BBC7,no DAB here in Sligo,
Ireland.I applied for mine through a Northern Ireland address which has
arrived there today!



Roy October 25th 05 05:57 PM

Sky Gnome
 
"Brian McKenna" wrote in message
...

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
My gnome has arrived. It is made by Global Communications
www.globalcom.co.uk

Initial impression is that it is a bit more substantial than expected,

i.e.
heavier. Sound quality is OK considering speaker positioning, but a bit
tinny, the metal grills do not help. Will probably use with some small
amplified speakers. Comes with a smaller gnome 'base station'. Connects
to
the RF, RS232 and audio phonos. Shame no phono loop out so will lose
phono
connection to hi-fi (mini hi-fi with no phono out so need SCART with
breakout I think). For my use, listening to radio 7 etc around home in
highlands where no DAB signal, the gnome should be ideal.

Roy



Thanks Roy,i am getting one for the same reason,BBC7,no DAB here in Sligo,
Ireland.I applied for mine through a Northern Ireland address which has
arrived there today!


Having tried with headphones, the quality is much better.

Roy



Norman October 25th 05 06:09 PM

Sky Gnome
 

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
"Brian McKenna" wrote in message
...

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
My gnome has arrived. It is made by Global Communications
www.globalcom.co.uk

Initial impression is that it is a bit more substantial than expected,

i.e.
heavier. Sound quality is OK considering speaker positioning, but a bit
tinny, the metal grills do not help. Will probably use with some small
amplified speakers. Comes with a smaller gnome 'base station'. Connects
to
the RF, RS232 and audio phonos. Shame no phono loop out so will lose
phono
connection to hi-fi (mini hi-fi with no phono out so need SCART with
breakout I think). For my use, listening to radio 7 etc around home in
highlands where no DAB signal, the gnome should be ideal.

Roy



Thanks Roy,i am getting one for the same reason,BBC7,no DAB here in

Sligo,
Ireland.I applied for mine through a Northern Ireland address which has
arrived there today!


Having tried with headphones, the quality is much better.

Roy


Just received my Gnome, very easy to set up, works well. Sounds great played
through the hifi via the line out socket. The speakers are a bit tinny
though they will be fine for the kitchen, bathroom etc.


Norman



Norman October 25th 05 10:16 PM

Sky Gnome
 

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
...
In , "Norman"
wrote:

Sounds great played through the hifi via the line out socket.


LOL!


Something amuse you?



The Wizard October 26th 05 01:04 AM

Sky Gnome
 

"Norman" wrote in message
...

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
...
In , "Norman"
wrote:

Sounds great played through the hifi via the line out socket.


LOL!


Something amuse you?


I'd guess it's sound better connected to the line IN socket?

Or possibly the poster having the laugh would think the Hi-Fi would be close
to the digibox anyway?



Norman October 26th 05 06:25 AM

Sky Gnome
 

"The Wizard" wrote in message
...

"Norman" wrote in message
...

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
...
In , "Norman"
wrote:

Sounds great played through the hifi via the line out socket.

LOL!


Something amuse you?


I'd guess it's sound better connected to the line IN socket?




Well, the cable comes *from* the line out socket on the Gnome so he would be
wrong. Perhaps I should have added the words "on the Gnome" to that line!


Or possibly the poster having the laugh would think the Hi-Fi would be

close
to the digibox anyway?



Again, he would be wrong as the digibox is in the lounge and the Hifi is in
the dining room. : )





Jomtien October 26th 05 07:46 AM

Sky Gnome
 
Roy wrote:

Connects to
.... RS232


Ooooh. I wonder what it's doing there?

Something to do with the EPG data, perhaps?

--
Digibox problem? : A reboot solves 90% of these.
The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/7rm2m
UK TV overseas: http://tinyurl.com/6p73
BBC reception questions? ; http://www.astra2d.com/
Fed up with on-screen logos? : http://logofreetv.org/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)

Zero Tolerance October 26th 05 09:07 PM

Sky Gnome
 
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:46:02 +0200, Jomtien wrote:

Connects to
.... RS232


Ooooh. I wonder what it's doing there?
Something to do with the EPG data, perhaps?


Must be - the Gnome displays the programme/station names on its
display, date/time, and other things.

S.E October 31st 05 02:25 PM

Sky Gnome
 
I haven't got a SkyGnome but from what I can see its essentially a wireless
speaker system with an LCD display similar to a DAB. I have been using a
wireless speaker system for over 12 months which works great, uses both
batteries and/or mains and has the benefit that you can connect the
transmitter to ANY input source and pipe whatever you're watching or
listening to around the house or anywhere within the signal range. Also, you
can have as many speakers (I've got 4) as you wish, which allows me to roam
around the house never missing anything as they're positioned in or
listenable (? is that a word ?) from each room

At the moment I'm listening to BBC Radio 2 in the back bedroom whereas the
transmitter is in the lounge connected to the sky box. If I change to Sky
News later, that will appear out of the speakers, if I was to put a DVD or
a VHS on, it would play that instead and all without having to repatch the
plugs. Alternatively, if I plug the transmitter into my MP3 player I can
listen to that all over the house or if I plug it into my PC I can listen to
internet radio from around the world, or plug it into a CD, tape device or
decks and listen to that instead. As I said plug the transmitter into any
device with an audio jack and it'll work ! Sound quality is top notch.

A link is below if anybody is interested. BTW I'm just a punter, I have no
connection with any manufacturer or retailer ! .

http://www.withandwithoutwires.com/P...ductID=2055450

Either that or Google wireless speakers

John


"Norman" wrote in message
...

"The Wizard" wrote in message
...

"Norman" wrote in message
...

"Mike Henry" wrote in
message
...
In , "Norman"
wrote:

Sounds great played through the hifi via the line out socket.

LOL!


Something amuse you?


I'd guess it's sound better connected to the line IN socket?




Well, the cable comes *from* the line out socket on the Gnome so he would
be
wrong. Perhaps I should have added the words "on the Gnome" to that line!


Or possibly the poster having the laugh would think the Hi-Fi would be

close
to the digibox anyway?



Again, he would be wrong as the digibox is in the lounge and the Hifi is
in
the dining room. : )







Nigel Barker October 31st 05 04:17 PM

Sky Gnome
 
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:25:13 -0000, "S.E" wrote:

I haven't got a SkyGnome but from what I can see its essentially a wireless
speaker system with an LCD display similar to a DAB. I have been using a
wireless speaker system for over 12 months which works great, uses both
batteries and/or mains and has the benefit that you can connect the
transmitter to ANY input source and pipe whatever you're watching or
listening to around the house or anywhere within the signal range. Also, you
can have as many speakers (I've got 4) as you wish, which allows me to roam
around the house never missing anything as they're positioned in or
listenable (? is that a word ?) from each room

At the moment I'm listening to BBC Radio 2 in the back bedroom whereas the
transmitter is in the lounge connected to the sky box. If I change to Sky
News later, that will appear out of the speakers, if I was to put a DVD or
a VHS on, it would play that instead and all without having to repatch the
plugs. Alternatively, if I plug the transmitter into my MP3 player I can
listen to that all over the house or if I plug it into my PC I can listen to
internet radio from around the world, or plug it into a CD, tape device or
decks and listen to that instead. As I said plug the transmitter into any
device with an audio jack and it'll work ! Sound quality is top notch.

A link is below if anybody is interested. BTW I'm just a punter, I have no
connection with any manufacturer or retailer ! .

http://www.withandwithoutwires.com/P...ductID=2055450


That's the same price as the SkyGnome & while you can connect it to other
sources the advantage of the SkyGnome AFAICS is that you can remotely change
channels.


--
Nigel Barker
Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HomeCinemaBanter.com