HomeCinemaBanter

HomeCinemaBanter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/index.php)
-   UK sky (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sky Gnome (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/showthread.php?t=37323)

Brian McKenna October 24th 05 04:52 PM

Sky Gnome

Has anyone ordered a Sky Gnome yet,I have and I am looking forward to
getting it as I listen to the radio quite a lot.I also have a second digibox
so a channel change wont interfere with the main family digibox!

Nigel Barker October 25th 05 08:50 AM

Sky Gnome

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:52:28 +0100, "Brian McKenna" wrote:

Has anyone ordered a Sky Gnome yet,I have and I am looking forward to
getting it as I listen to the radio quite a lot.I also have a second digibox
so a channel change wont interfere with the main family digibox!

Where have you ordered from? I've not been able to find them on sale anywhere.

--
Nigel Barker
Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur

Brian McKenna October 25th 05 10:44 AM

Sky Gnome

Where have you ordered from? I've not been able to find them on sale
anywhere.

--
Nigel Barker
Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur

Hey there

Just to let you know I have arrived and I am ready to roam!

I cost 69.99 plus p&p - Just a one off payment with no additional
subscription charge.

If you want me, simply call my agent on 08702 41 80 90 and they will arrange
for me to be dropped off at your place. But you gotta be quick as initial
stocks are limited!

I'll be delivered direct to your door, Mon to Fri via courier...and if you'
re not in, no problem- the courier will leave a card for you to collect me
or arrange a second delivery.

Looking forward to meeting you

Bye for now

Sky Gnome

Please do not respond to this email. For more information about me, click
here

P&P: Postage and packaging is 6.50 per Sky Gnome purchased for delivery in
England, Wales, Scotland (excluding Highlands and Islands). For Northern
Ireland, Scottish Highlands & Islands, the Channel Islands and Isle of Man
postage and packaging is 13.99 per Sky Gnome. Delivery charges are subject
to change. Sky Gnome is not currently available in ROI. General: Digital
satellite system required. Sky digital subscription required for Sky digital
programming. Initial stocks are limited so delivery may be subject to delay.
All prices inclusive of VAT and subject to change. Calls cost up to 7 pence
per minute for BT customers. Charges from other providers may vary. Further
conditions apply - visit sky.com/skygnome. Information correct at time of
issue 10/05.

Roy October 25th 05 11:04 AM

Sky Gnome

"Nigel Barker" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:52:28 +0100, "Brian McKenna" wrote:

Has anyone ordered a Sky Gnome yet,I have and I am looking forward to
getting it as I listen to the radio quite a lot.I also have a second
digibox
so a channel change wont interfere with the main family digibox!

Where have you ordered from? I've not been able to find them on sale
anywhere.

--
Nigel Barker
Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur

See http://www1.sky.com/skygnome/ or phone 08702 41 80 90.

My gnome is due within the hour...

Roy

Brian McKenna October 25th 05 11:41 AM

Sky Gnome

See http://www1.sky.com/skygnome/ or phone 08702 41 80 90.

My gnome is due within the hour...

Let us know what you think of it,if you don't mind?My gnome is not due until
tomorrow!

Roy October 25th 05 02:08 PM

Sky Gnome

"Brian McKenna" wrote in message
See http://www1.sky.com/skygnome/ or phone 08702 41 80 90.

My gnome is due within the hour...

Let us know what you think of it,if you don't mind?My gnome is not due
until
tomorrow!

Will do but my gnome appears to of got lost en route. Was due by noon...

Roy

Norman October 25th 05 02:43 PM

Sky Gnome

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
"Brian McKenna" wrote in message
See http://www1.sky.com/skygnome/ or phone 08702 41 80 90.

My gnome is due within the hour...

Let us know what you think of it,if you don't mind?My gnome is not due
until
tomorrow!

Will do but my gnome appears to of got lost en route. Was due by noon...

Roy

Probably turned into a Gnomad ; )

When did you order yours? I called Friday afternoon, was rather hoping it
would turn up today too.

Norman

Roy October 25th 05 02:56 PM

Sky Gnome

"Norman" wrote in message

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
"Brian McKenna" wrote in message
See http://www1.sky.com/skygnome/ or phone 08702 41 80 90.

My gnome is due within the hour...

Let us know what you think of it,if you don't mind?My gnome is not due
until
tomorrow!

Will do but my gnome appears to of got lost en route. Was due by noon...

Roy

Probably turned into a Gnomad ; )

When did you order yours? I called Friday afternoon, was rather hoping it
would turn up today too.

Norman

I resisted making any comments like that! Ordered on Friday evening. Just
been advised that order was processed OK but should be 'by 3.30pm' and not
as incorrectly advised 'by noon'. Courier is Parceline, but could Sky not
give consignment number to track.

Roy

Roy October 25th 05 02:58 PM

Sky Gnome

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
"Norman" wrote in message

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
"Brian McKenna" wrote in message
See http://www1.sky.com/skygnome/ or phone 08702 41 80 90.

My gnome is due within the hour...

Let us know what you think of it,if you don't mind?My gnome is not due
until
tomorrow!

Will do but my gnome appears to of got lost en route. Was due by noon...

Roy

Probably turned into a Gnomad ; )

When did you order yours? I called Friday afternoon, was rather hoping it
would turn up today too.

Norman

I resisted making any comments like that! Ordered on Friday evening. Just
been advised that order was processed OK but should be 'by 3.30pm' and not
as incorrectly advised 'by noon'. Courier is Parceline, but could Sky not
give consignment number to track.

Roy

Oops, should read "...but Sky could not give consignment number to track."

Roy

Roy October 25th 05 04:59 PM

Sky Gnome

My gnome has arrived. It is made by Global Communications
www.globalcom.co.uk

Initial impression is that it is a bit more substantial than expected, i.e.
heavier. Sound quality is OK considering speaker positioning, but a bit
tinny, the metal grills do not help. Will probably use with some small
amplified speakers. Comes with a smaller gnome 'base station'. Connects to
the RF, RS232 and audio phonos. Shame no phono loop out so will lose phono
connection to hi-fi (mini hi-fi with no phono out so need SCART with
breakout I think). For my use, listening to radio 7 etc around home in
highlands where no DAB signal, the gnome should be ideal.

Roy

Brian McKenna October 25th 05 05:43 PM

Sky Gnome

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
My gnome has arrived. It is made by Global Communications
www.globalcom.co.uk

Initial impression is that it is a bit more substantial than expected,

i.e.
heavier. Sound quality is OK considering speaker positioning, but a bit
tinny, the metal grills do not help. Will probably use with some small
amplified speakers. Comes with a smaller gnome 'base station'. Connects to
the RF, RS232 and audio phonos. Shame no phono loop out so will lose phono
connection to hi-fi (mini hi-fi with no phono out so need SCART with
breakout I think). For my use, listening to radio 7 etc around home in
highlands where no DAB signal, the gnome should be ideal.

Roy

Thanks Roy,i am getting one for the same reason,BBC7,no DAB here in Sligo,
Ireland.I applied for mine through a Northern Ireland address which has
arrived there today!

Roy October 25th 05 05:57 PM

Sky Gnome

"Brian McKenna" wrote in message

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Having tried with headphones, the quality is much better.

Roy

Norman October 25th 05 06:09 PM

Sky Gnome

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
"Brian McKenna" wrote in message

"Roy" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Just received my Gnome, very easy to set up, works well. Sounds great played
through the hifi via the line out socket. The speakers are a bit tinny
though they will be fine for the kitchen, bathroom etc.

Norman

Norman October 25th 05 10:16 PM

Sky Gnome

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
In , "Norman"
wrote:

Sounds great played through the hifi via the line out socket.

LOL!

Something amuse you?

The Wizard October 26th 05 01:04 AM

Sky Gnome

"Norman" wrote in message

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
In , "Norman"
wrote:

Sounds great played through the hifi via the line out socket.

LOL!

Something amuse you?

I'd guess it's sound better connected to the line IN socket?

Or possibly the poster having the laugh would think the Hi-Fi would be close
to the digibox anyway?

Norman October 26th 05 06:25 AM

Sky Gnome

"The Wizard" wrote in message

"Norman" wrote in message

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
In , "Norman"
wrote:

Sounds great played through the hifi via the line out socket.

LOL!

Something amuse you?

I'd guess it's sound better connected to the line IN socket?

Well, the cable comes *from* the line out socket on the Gnome so he would be
wrong. Perhaps I should have added the words "on the Gnome" to that line!

Or possibly the poster having the laugh would think the Hi-Fi would be

close
to the digibox anyway?

Again, he would be wrong as the digibox is in the lounge and the Hifi is in
the dining room. : )

Jomtien October 26th 05 07:46 AM

Sky Gnome

Roy wrote:

Connects to
.... RS232

Ooooh. I wonder what it's doing there?

Something to do with the EPG data, perhaps?

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/7rm2m
UK TV overseas: http://tinyurl.com/6p73
BBC reception questions? ; http://www.astra2d.com/
Fed up with on-screen logos? : http://logofreetv.org/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)

Zero Tolerance October 26th 05 09:07 PM

Sky Gnome

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:46:02 +0200, Jomtien wrote:

Connects to
.... RS232

Ooooh. I wonder what it's doing there?
Something to do with the EPG data, perhaps?

Must be - the Gnome displays the programme/station names on its
display, date/time, and other things.

S.E October 31st 05 02:25 PM

Sky Gnome

I haven't got a SkyGnome but from what I can see its essentially a wireless
speaker system with an LCD display similar to a DAB. I have been using a
wireless speaker system for over 12 months which works great, uses both
batteries and/or mains and has the benefit that you can connect the
transmitter to ANY input source and pipe whatever you're watching or
listening to around the house or anywhere within the signal range. Also, you
can have as many speakers (I've got 4) as you wish, which allows me to roam
around the house never missing anything as they're positioned in or
listenable (? is that a word ?) from each room

At the moment I'm listening to BBC Radio 2 in the back bedroom whereas the
transmitter is in the lounge connected to the sky box. If I change to Sky
News later, that will appear out of the speakers, if I was to put a DVD or
a VHS on, it would play that instead and all without having to repatch the
plugs. Alternatively, if I plug the transmitter into my MP3 player I can
listen to that all over the house or if I plug it into my PC I can listen to
internet radio from around the world, or plug it into a CD, tape device or
decks and listen to that instead. As I said plug the transmitter into any
device with an audio jack and it'll work ! Sound quality is top notch.

A link is below if anybody is interested. BTW I'm just a punter, I have no
connection with any manufacturer or retailer ! .

http://www.withandwithoutwires.com/P...ductID=2055450

Either that or Google wireless speakers

John

"Norman" wrote in message

"The Wizard" wrote in message

"Norman" wrote in message

"Mike Henry" wrote in
message

Nigel Barker October 31st 05 04:17 PM

Sky Gnome

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:25:13 -0000, "S.E" wrote:

[...]

That's the same price as the SkyGnome & while you can connect it to other
sources the advantage of the SkyGnome AFAICS is that you can remotely change
channels.

Jomtien November 1st 05 07:27 AM

Sky Gnome

Nigel Barker wrote:

That's the same price as the SkyGnome & while you can connect it to other
sources the advantage of the SkyGnome AFAICS is that you can remotely change
channels.

The Sky Gnome is amusing enough but personally I would rather spend
the money on a videosender and some powered PC speakers. This will do
what the Sky Gnome does (except the front panel display) and of course
a videosender can be used for TV also, if you want.