HomeCinemaBanter

HomeCinemaBanter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/index.php)
-   UK sky (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Freesat Dish Question (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/showthread.php?t=59248)

Ed June 30th 08 10:18 AM

Freesat Dish Question

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed

Mike Plowman June 30th 08 10:26 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:18:20 -0700 (PDT), Ed
wrote:

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed

http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/200...t-on-sky-dish/

" If you have already a Sky mini-dish attached to your house and
pointed at the Sky satellite, you can use the same dish for receiving
Freesat.

Just plug the cable coming from the dish to back of your new receiver.
Thatís it. No need to get a new dish or upgrade anything.

Freesat and Sky are broadcast from the same satellite. So the same
dish size and dish direction can be used. "

Ed June 30th 08 10:28 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

Cheers
Ed

http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/200...t-on-sky-dish/

" If you have already a Sky mini-dish attached to your house and
pointed at the Sky satellite, you can use the same dish for receiving
Freesat.

Just plug the cable coming from the dish to back of your new receiver.
Thatís it. No need to get a new dish or upgrade anything.

Freesat and Sky are broadcast from the same satellite. So the same
dish size and dish direction can be used. "

Many thanks. That's what I thought, but some bloke down the pub was
telling anyone that would listen that I was talking out of my arse and
that he could come and realign their dishes for them if people wanted
freesat.

Ed June 30th 08 10:32 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

[...]

freesat.- Hide quoted text -

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

Krustov June 30th 08 10:36 AM

Freesat Dish Question

uk.media.tv.misc
Ed
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:18:20 -0700 (PDT)

Is freesat picked up by a sky dish, or does the dish have to be
realigned? In other words, can I pop out to argos, buy a Freesat box
and simply switch it for my current Sky box?

TMK its the same bunch of satellites that are used .

Apparently there was a hack for one of the freesat boxes that allowed
you to add more FTA channels to it - or summit .

--
www.krustov.co.uk

Mike Plowman June 30th 08 10:39 AM

Freesat Dish Question

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:32:29 -0700 (PDT), Ed
wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28*am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26*am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.

Ed June 30th 08 10:56 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28*am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26*am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.

Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

Mike Plowman June 30th 08 11:09 AM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28*am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26*am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.

Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

I have no idea. Seems bloody stupid planning. Humax are supposed ot be
launching one but when is anybody's guess.

Brian McIlwrath June 30th 08 11:36 AM

Freesat Dish Question

In uk.media.tv.sky Ed wrote:
: Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

I can also help answer that! Only a very few manufacturers were willing
to sign up for Freesat for launch (4, but 1 pulled out!) and, of these,
only Humax are making a PVR - it *WAS* going to be out about now but has
slipped to nearer the end of 2008.

John Russell June 30th 08 12:21 PM

Freesat Dish Question

wrote:

On Jun 30, 9:28 am, Ed wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:26 am, Mike Plowman wrote:

And can I therefore assume that there is nothing stopping me using one
of the 2 spare outlets on the LNB to run a cable to a Freesat box
whilst also running the Sky box?

It would be, as they say, a piece of ****. If you can climb a ladder,
the job's a good 'un.

Cheers Mike.
Why are there no Freesat PVRs for sale?

How successful are Freeview PVR's? I'm sure there are sky haters wanting a
Freesat SKY+ but is that the bulk of the target market?