Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 13.20 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Andy Burns[_12_]
Forum: UK digital tv August 25th 19, 04:52 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 18
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Extortionate price for freesat

wrote:

The advert you posted

sintv posted it, I merely corrected a typo.

and to which I replied, was *only* for Freeview aerial fitting
I've no idea why a PVR or...
Forum: UK digital tv August 24th 19, 07:18 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 18
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Extortionate price for freesat

wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

wrote:

BT Vision ?

STB that can receive/record freeview, or stream BT programmes over the
internet ......
Forum: UK digital tv August 24th 19, 12:57 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 57
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
UHF home distribution and witchcraft

Jim Lesurf wrote:

the FUNCubeProPlus can go up to about 2GHz it can show such things.
Can Bob's meter? Can the cheap SDR dongles?

My RTL-SDR dongle says 25-1760 MHz the highest I've used is for...
Forum: UK digital tv August 24th 19, 12:51 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

BT Vision ?

STB that can receive/record freeview, or stream BT programmes over the
internet ... probably killed off by newer BT TV boxes
Forum: UK digital tv August 18th 19, 07:24 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 18
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Extortionate price for freesat

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

sintv wrote:

www.freeviewgigitaltvaerial.co.uk charged an old couple in Fife
£504 for a zone 1 dish and simple installation.

Name and shame please.

As...
Forum: UK digital tv August 11th 19, 04:22 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 20
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Copper clad steel core in coax

Andrew wrote:

I was in Wilco yesterday and noticed their coax
was 40p per metre so I snipped a couple of
inches off for a closer look.

It seems to have an aluminium foil shield and then
Forum: UK digital tv August 9th 19, 08:49 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
How many onnections do streaming services allow?

Brian Gaff wrote:

for those who offer free content it has to be a
nightmare to know whether you will run out of connections

For those with a small number of streams, they'll be down in the...
Forum: UK digital tv August 8th 19, 04:55 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
How many onnections do streaming services allow?

Brian Gaff wrote:

It does seem to me that as video and audio over the web in real time takes
off, that the growth of servers to allow a lot of people to use them at once
is going to cost a lot...
Forum: UK digital tv August 2nd 19, 04:36 PM Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
OT: electric vehicle charging

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Nearly all devices today run on SMPS - the mains is rectified and
smoothed and chopped to provide HF AC to a ferrite transformer.

Back in the day, I remember...
Forum: UK digital tv August 2nd 19, 12:24 PM Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
OT: electric vehicle charging

charles wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

with twisty knobs that locked individual
circuit dimmers onto one of two rods, so they could be dimmed in unison
by turning one or other large...
Forum: UK digital tv August 2nd 19, 11:12 AM Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
OT: electric vehicle charging

NY wrote:

When I used to do the lighting for stage plays at school, the lamps
above the stage each plugged into a round-pin socket, with each fader on
the lighting panel having its own wire...
Forum: UK digital tv August 2nd 19, 09:04 AM Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
OT: electric vehicle charging

charles wrote:

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

The industrial version of that was sometimes known as the Reyrolle
design/pattern, as they were made by Reyrolle, mainly based in Hebburn
Forum: UK digital tv August 1st 19, 07:34 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
OT: electric vehicle charging

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

bit my arm off, offering a complete turnkey solution (everything from
site survey, handling planning, installation, and running), for free;
what they'd want in...
Forum: UK digital tv July 31st 19, 10:25 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
OT: electric vehicle charging

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

I've seen around 250

Mine ranges between 245 and 251
Forum: UK digital tv July 31st 19, 01:52 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
OT: electric vehicle charging

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

So (EV cars, obviously!):
All cars come with a 3-pin plug ("standard" or "basic").

aka "granny lead"

All cars can (presumably using the same hardware in the car)...
Forum: UK digital tv July 31st 19, 10:28 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
OT: electric vehicle charging

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

I don't think most houses have 3-phase available.

correct.

What advantage would 3-phase give anyway?

sqrt(3) times the power, compared to single phase
Forum: UK digital tv July 31st 19, 09:31 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
OT: electric vehicle charging

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

So is this right, for the UK:
notional
nickname power charge time runs from comments
-------- ----- ...
Forum: UK digital tv July 31st 19, 08:26 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
OT: electric vehicle charging

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

what is needed to connect up to the "rapid" chargers that look a bit
like a petrol pump

There are multiple standards, but the popular one for AC charging is a...
Forum: UK digital tv July 30th 19, 08:38 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
New BBC soap

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Ah, you meant "belt" as in "wallop", i. e. a bump from the
"starternator", rather than - as I thought - a belt as in "fan"belt.

No, it does does mean via the...
Forum: UK digital tv July 29th 19, 05:20 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
New BBC soap

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

What is a "belt starter", in this context?

the "starternator" I referred to previously

(And a "mild hybrid" for that
matter - which part is "mild", the fuel...
Forum: UK digital tv July 29th 19, 04:35 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
New BBC soap

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

TNP has said he thinks it _is_ a bump start using the car's momentum
(having been got rolling by the electric motor).

Which, thinking about it, would make it...
Forum: UK digital tv July 29th 19, 03:18 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
New BBC soap

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

This sub-sub-thread started with someone -
presumably not you - saying s/he didn't _have_ a starter motor (or
alternator).

A lot of cars (such as those which...
Forum: UK digital tv July 29th 19, 11:24 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
New BBC soap

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

air is about 3KV per mm in terms of sparkong so as long as you have 11mm
you are safe from 33kv (DC)

After you then...
Forum: UK digital tv July 29th 19, 10:45 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
New BBC soap

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:

there has to be a moment when a switch or relay connects the power.

yes, but I wouold probably design it with a mechanical clunker - a...
Forum: UK digital tv July 28th 19, 05:23 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 626
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
New BBC soap

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Of course a petrol station running 10 cars simultaneously - 18MW -* is
going to need better than a few windmills and solar panels can provide

And that's about...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500