Old March 20th 07, 12:46 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin Underwood[_2_]

Default Sky 'auto standby' to roll out from today

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On 20 Mar 2007 02:49:50 -0700, "Ed" wrote:

SKY is to introduce technology that automatically switches digital
boxes to standby mode overnight - slashing energy bills by 7.5MILLION
a year.

The boxes will go to "sleep" after 11pm if they detect they have not
been used for two hours.

How on earth can a broadcaster detect whether a home receiver is being
"used" or not? When I'm "using" a receiver, either to watch a
programme directly, or to make a timed recording from it, I'm not
pushing any buttons or doing anything to it that could possibly be
sensed by the electronics.

It's not that the broadcaster is sensing whether the receier is being used
after 11PM. I imagine that they will be broadcasting updated firmware over
teh next few weeks which all the boxes will use to reprogram themselves so
they have the auto-shutdown facility. Auto-shutdown probably relies on i) is
the box in full-on mode and ii) is it recording a timed event. If it's on
and recording, I'd sincerely hope it will continue working as normal. If
it's on but not recording (eg because you are watching but not recording)
then I'd expect it to flash a message "about to shutdown" which you can
override from your remote to give you another hour or so "stay of
execution". But if you are not using the box, either to record or to watch
live, why leave it fully on? Why not shut it down, as you would with a VCR
or a TV? Are Sky boxes different in that they will make a timed recording
even when they are left fully on, unlike VCRs which will only do so from
standby mode?