Freesat Dish Question

Old July 3rd 08, 01:38 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
John Russell

Default Freesat Dish Question

"Nigel Barker" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:00:45 +0100, "John Russell"

wrote:

P.S you don't win arguments by making comments about grammer. It shows you
up as a pompous!

I won't point out your spelling mistake then:-)

You should always use forums and NG's as if your having a discussion in a
Pub. Would you expect to participate in the conversations for long if you
spent your time picking others up on their pronunciation and grammar? You
would spend more time in A&E!

Old July 5th 08, 12:55 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Felicity S.

John Russell wrote:

Felicity S. wrote:

John Russell wrote:

Compared to a VCR SKY+ is a doddle for anyone to
use, be it a child or technophobe pensioner.

Don't fall for Sky propaganda that only Sky+ is a doddle, all PVRs are.

Please read all the posts!

I did. I always do.

The SKY+EPG was criticised for being dated so I was pointing out that
it's more than adequate for most people who use it.I never implied it
was better or worse than other PVR's!

You implied it was better than other PVRs by specifically citing that
one machine and omitting all mention of the generic equipment.

This is exactly what the Sky propaganda does; making people who can't
program a VCR think the sole solution is to subscribe to Sky.

Fliss

--
She said: Get up! Get up! Get up! God damn it! Get up, get
up, get up, get up, get up!! What is that noise?

Old July 5th 08, 12:56 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Felicity S.

John Russell wrote:

Felicity S. wrote:
John Russell wrote:
Felicity S. wrote:
John Russell wrote:

How successful are Freeview PVR's?

They're very good!

That's not the point. It's to do with market share. Freeview is populer
but most people don't use a Freesat PVR to access it.

Did you mean to write "Freeview PVR" there?

Freesat could become populer, but not necessarily using expensive PVR's.

PVRs are getting very affordable, and they're much better than Sky+.

I can't get Sky sports on Freesat!

We're discussing how Sky+ compares with other PVRs, not what they receive.

P.S you don't win arguments by making comments about grammer.

I made no comments about grammar, and have no need to do so in order
to win arguments. I merely asked for clarification since you seemed to
be making a weird point about using Freesat to access Freeview.

Fliss

--
She said: Sa-anta Claus is coming to town.
She said: Just seeing a Santa... Shall I try a Santa?

Old July 5th 08, 12:57 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Felicity S.

Zero Tolerance wrote:

Felicity S. wrote:

Don't fall for Sky propaganda that only Sky+ is a doddle, all PVRs are.

Not all PVRs are. Some of them come with the most abysmal, unusable
software you'll ever have seen.

Sorry. This is of course true, I should have written "most".

Fliss

--
She said: Are you all right in there?
He said: I just got a bit of a fright - on a plus

Old July 5th 08, 12:58 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Felicity S.

Nigel Barker wrote:

John Russell wrote:

P.S you don't win arguments by making comments about grammer. It shows
you up as a pompous!

I won't point out your spelling mistake then:-)

Cheers

Kelsey

Fliss

--
He said: Is this episode going on the air live?
She said: No, very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's

Old July 5th 08, 10:04 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Mark Carver

John Russell wrote:

I can't get Sky sports on Freesat!

You make that sound as if it's a bad thing ?

--
Mark
Old July 5th 08, 11:48 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Zero Tolerance

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:55:00 BST, "Felicity S." [email protected]
wrote:

This is exactly what the Sky propaganda does; making people who can't
program a VCR think the sole solution is to subscribe to Sky.

It's suggested as one solution. I don't think anyone is saying that
it's the "only" solution. That's something that you're crowbarring
into the thought, alongside words like "propaganda".

Old July 5th 08, 04:27 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
John Russell

"Felicity S." [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Zero Tolerance wrote:

Felicity S. wrote:

Don't fall for Sky propaganda that only Sky+ is a doddle, all PVRs are.

Not all PVRs are. Some of them come with the most abysmal, unusable
software you'll ever have seen.

Sorry. This is of course true, I should have written "most".

Equally "most" PVR's don't recive SKY!

Would buy a car purely on the basis how good the sat nav is? No, you decide
what you want from a car, and make do with the sat nav , good or bad.

Old July 6th 08, 09:36 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Felicity S.

Zero Tolerance wrote:

Felicity S. wrote:

This is exactly what the Sky propaganda does; making people who can't
program a VCR think the sole solution is to subscribe to Sky.

It's suggested as one solution. I don't think anyone is saying that
it's the "only" solution. That's something that you're crowbarring
into the thought, alongside words like "propaganda".

Please tell me where in the adverts with Michael Parkinson, Felicity
Kendal et al, they tell you how most PVRs also record at the touch of
a button, collect whole series, or pause & rewind while recording.

The way they make it sound that Sky+ is the only answer to perceived
difficulties of VCRs, while keeping quiet about severe disadvantages
such as extra subscription costs and half the disc being filled with
unwanted crap, is precisely why I label the adverts as propaganda.

Fliss

--
She said: His house was on a bluff over a lake. I always loved
the view, sunlight over water - my favourite spot.

Old July 6th 08, 09:38 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Felicity S.

John Russell wrote:

Equally "most" PVR's don't recive SKY!

I'm complaining about the propaganda where Sky+ is touted as the answer
to perceived difficulties with VCRs. No mention is made of Sky channels
as they're aimed at the people who don't want to subscribe and are quite
happy with the BBC etc - and who haven't heard about better PVRs.

Fliss

--
He said: Hey, that's good! She really looks...
You made her look beautiful.