totally off topic

Old November 8th 18, 01:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marland

Default totally off topic

I'm reminded of the great "chandeliers episode" in "Only Fools and
Horses". Your real name isn't Trotter by any chance? There was also the
time when Bail Fawlty called in a builder called Murphy...

some years ago, I was stage managing a concert at RMA Sandhurst; the extra
staging I ordered turned up in a white (unmarked) van driven by a man
called Murphy - yes he was Irish. The guards at the gate didn't get the
joke.

My equivalent was a brown brewers dray loaded with stock and dispense
equipment for a Summer Ball at the Peninsula Barracks Winchester with a
driver called Patrick , after admittance at the entrance where his accent
raised an eyebrow I pointed to the marquee erected on the other side of the
parade ground and said to him “that’s where we have to go”and unfortunately
before being able to add “by using the service road around the back “ we
went, straight across the parade ground with only a slight deviation to
avoid some troops while the person drilling them glared at us with fury.
Someone else then marched over and and commenced to give us a right
rollicking. With a face like thunder he asked why we had not used the
service road, I replied ,you can tell my driver is Irish, he is also like a
donkey,doesn’t always go where you ask. That brought a smile and he left us
to it while
remarking “don’t do it again”. Patrick never forgave me for calling him a
donkey.
And we never went again as the barracks soon became up market flats.
The parade ground has now disappeared under ornamental gardens.
https://goo.gl/images/tiycfZ

Patrick was actually quite an astute businessman, careful saving and
working any overtime available had let him invest in a few properties
decades before buy to let became common, and when things got sticky between
him and his missus like good catholics they didn’t divorce, he bought a bar
in one of the Spanish Resorts and sent her out to run it.
GH

Old November 8th 18, 04:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 08/11/2018 12:29, Marland wrote:

The parade ground has now disappeared under ornamental gardens.
https://goo.gl/images/tiycfZ

Ah! The Royal Greenjackets! Our school used to use their firing range
a few miles outside Winchester, can't remember the name of it now, and
also sometimes we'd butt-mark for them there.
Old November 8th 18, 05:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/11/2018 15:54, Java Jive wrote:

Ah!* The Royal Greenjackets!* Our school used to use their firing range
a few miles outside Winchester, can't remember the name of it now, and
also sometimes we'd butt-mark for them there.

Is that a gay thing? Sorry but I've never been in the army.

Old November 8th 18, 10:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 08/11/2018 16:40, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/11/2018 15:54, Java Jive wrote:

Ah!* The Royal Greenjackets!* Our school used to use their firing
range a few miles outside Winchester, can't remember the name of it
now, and also sometimes we'd butt-mark for them there.

Is that a gay thing? Sorry but I've never been in the army.

You put things on the targets where the bullets landed. The targets are
in the butts.

Andy

Old November 8th 18, 10:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 08/11/2018 16:40, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/11/2018 15:54, Java Jive wrote:

Ah!* The Royal Greenjackets!* Our school used to use their firing
range a few miles outside Winchester, can't remember the name of it
now, and also sometimes we'd butt-mark for them there.

Is that a gay thing? Sorry but I've never been in the army.

I *knew* somebody would pick up on the name, but that is really what we
used to call it. AFAICR the 'butts' were actually the concrete bunkers
behind an earth bank that the people who worked the targets shelter in,
but, anyway, 'butt-marking' was what we called working the targets.

They were large wooden frames fronted by canvas with a target painted on
it, the feet of which were mounted in a metal frame, all arranged so
that only the wooden and canvas parts were visible to the shooters -
metal shrapnel flying around the butts was definitely something to be
avoided. Each target was worked by a pulley system, balanced by
counterweights. You had to watch your target and the bank behind it
very closely, so that you noticed when a shot was fired at it, otherwise
you'd get a blasting over a field telephone from the NCO training that
rifleman. You'd then haul it down, put a marker in the hole, and then
raise it again, leaving a marker post for a set time, about 10-20
seconds pointing to the new hole. There were other signals as well, for
example if you couldn't find a hole, and you thought the shot was wide,
you waved the marker post from side to side, or if the shot was high or
low, you pumped the marker post up and down (not sure whether I've
remembered that correctly, it's been fifty years after all).

Despite the counter-balancing, it was quite hard work, but was a good
chance for a responsible school-boy to earn some useful pocket-money on
a Wednesday or Saturday afternoon when there were no lessons - kind of
the shooting equivalent of ball-kids at a tennis tournament.
Old November 9th 18, 12:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marland

Java Jive wrote:

Ah! The Royal Greenjackets! Our school used to use their firing range
a few miles outside Winchester, can't remember the name of it now, and
also sometimes we'd butt-mark for them there.

Chilcombe perhaps, though there are/ were others around the place such as
Flowerdown/St John Moore
Barracks where the Regiment moved to when they left the city center.
In a slight attempt to bring in some topicality the St John Moore site is
only a couple of miles from Crawley Court former home of the IBA and now
Arqiva.

GH

Old November 9th 18, 01:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/11/2018 21:22, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 08/11/2018 16:40, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/11/2018 15:54, Java Jive wrote:

Ah!* The Royal Greenjackets!* Our school used to use their firing
range a few miles outside Winchester, can't remember the name of it
now, and also sometimes we'd butt-mark for them there.

Is that a gay thing? Sorry but I've never been in the army.

You put things on the targets where the bullets landed. The targets are
in the butts.

Andy

Oh. As always the truth is less exciting than the imagination.

Old November 9th 18, 09:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 08/11/2018 21:51, Java Jive wrote:

I *knew* somebody would pick up on the name, but that is really what we
used to call it. AFAICR the 'butts' were actually the concrete bunkers
behind an earth bank that the people who worked the targets shelter in,
but, anyway, 'butt-marking' was what we called working the targets.

Actually, butts were an archery term long before firearms were invented.

But the principle was the same - an earth (or concrete) bank on a firing
range so that live ammunition could be used safely.

Jim
Old November 9th 18, 10:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 08/11/2018 23:38, Marland wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Ah! The Royal Greenjackets! Our school used to use their firing range
a few miles outside Winchester, can't remember the name of it now, and
also sometimes we'd butt-mark for them there.

Chilcombe perhaps

That was the one! Thanks for reminding me.