Humax 'Region' choice

Old February 26th 19, 02:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

Default Humax 'Region' choice

On 24/02/2019 21:40, Scott wrote:

There are several DTT regions in Scotland, because of STV's various
opts, and also the local TV stations (used to be STV 2, now the truly
awful That's TV dross)

Thanks. I know that the *correct* transmitter is Blackhill. Is there
any way of knowing whether Blackhill is subtitled 'Scotland' or
'Central Scotland'? Am I right that the relays carry the same name as
the parent transmitter? If so, that would rule out the local relays.
I suspect next closest main transmitter will be Darvel.

It will offer choices based on what (if any) receivable local
(local as in STV 2/That's TV etc not any BBC or mainstream ITV regions)
service you want mapped to EPG Ch 7 or 8.

For instance here if the receiver only finds Hannington, I still get
presented with

Berks and N Hants: Basingstoke
Berks and N Hants: Reading

That's because Hannington carries both local TV services, so if I select
Basingstoke, That's TV Hampshire ends up on Ch 7, and That's TV Thames
Valley ends up on Ch 800.

Black Hill only carries one local TV service (That's Glasgow) but Darvel
which I think is in the same sub-regional grouping (STV-West) as Black
Hill carries That's Ayr. I suspect that's why you have two versions.

Run a rescan in you dare and select one or the other, and see what you
end up with at EPG 8 and 800. (You should get BBC Alba on EPG 7 regardless)

--
Mark
Old February 26th 19, 02:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 26/02/2019 12:55, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:31:09 +0000, Dave W wrote:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:48:17 +0000, Scott
wrote:

I retuned my Humax box and at the end of the scanning process it gave
me a choice of Region 1 - Scotland, Region 2 - Central Scotland. My
initial assumption was that it had picked up two transmitters.
Alternatively, could 'Scotland' mean BBC and 'Central Scotland' STV?
Thanks for any guidance.

It's probably like my Humax Freesat box, which can receive all regions
but asks me to choose England, London, South London (I seem to
remember) so that I receive the correct ITV channel with
advertisements aimed at my region. BBC channels also have regions but
they have different names so I can receive any of them even if they're
not for my region. To see all ITV regions I have to go to 'Non Freesat
mode', which does not have Freesat channel numbers.

You might well have picked up two Freeview transmitters, but after
selecting your location, you will only be able to see the channels
intended for it.

Fair enough, but that doesn't answer my question whether to select
'Central Scotland' or 'Scotland'.

Yeah and is Slough 'London' or 'Central London'?

--
Max Demian
Old February 26th 19, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 13:08:50 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

[...]

I think I'm following this but does it mean if I select the wrong one
I could get (eg) BBC Four from Darvel at a much lower signal strength
than Blackhill?
Old February 26th 19, 03:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Indeed, Crystal Palace could be 'London' and Alexandra Palace being
more local 'Central London' or Crystal Palace could be 'Central
London' reflecting its purpose and places like Slough just 'London'.

It would be helpful to see a list of transmitter descriptors rather
than having to speculate. .
Old February 26th 19, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

BBC 4 HD (COM 8) Darvel is the same frequency now as Black Hill, they
are both using the national SFN on 55/56, so what you fear is
impossible. (That's not to say that wouldn't happen for the other 6
muxes though !)

The only way to find out is to give it a spin, but my money is still on
your box having seen a more distant transmitter, because of the lift
conditions.

--
Mark
Old February 26th 19, 04:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 26/02/2019 14:51, Scott wrote:

Yeah and is Slough 'London' or 'Central London'?

Indeed, Crystal Palace could be 'London' and Alexandra Palace being
more local 'Central London' or Crystal Palace could be 'Central
London' reflecting its purpose and places like Slough just 'London'.

It would be helpful to see a list of transmitter descriptors rather
than having to speculate. .

No AP is just a 'dumb' relay of CP, it will carry the same ID.

Again, I think this is tied up with local (NOT BBC/ITV) TV.

I suspect selecting 'Central London' will place London Live on EPG 7,
selecting 'London', will put 'That's Surrey' (that is available
from the Guildford relay) onto EPG 7 (but only if it's receivable)

--
Mark
Old February 26th 19, 05:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 15:30:09 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 26/02/2019 14:51, Scott wrote:

Yeah and is Slough 'London' or 'Central London'?

Indeed, Crystal Palace could be 'London' and Alexandra Palace being
more local 'Central London' or Crystal Palace could be 'Central
London' reflecting its purpose and places like Slough just 'London'.

It would be helpful to see a list of transmitter descriptors rather
than having to speculate. .

No AP is just a 'dumb' relay of CP, it will carry the same ID.

Again, I think this is tied up with local (NOT BBC/ITV) TV.

I suspect selecting 'Central London' will place London Live on EPG 7,
selecting 'London', will put 'That's Surrey' (that is available
from the Guildford relay) onto EPG 7 (but only if it's receivable)

Thanks. My mistake. I was forgetting that relays carried the same
data as the main transmitter. How come there is no list to relate
these names to the corresponding transmitter(s)?
Old February 26th 19, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 26/02/2019 16:42, Scott wrote:

Thanks. My mistake. I was forgetting that relays carried the same
data as the main transmitter. How come there is no list to relate
these names to the corresponding transmitter(s)?

Oh, gone are the days when you could pick up the phone and talk to folk
like Charles, we have to work it all out for ourselves now from the
clues on the Ofcom and Digital UK websites.

--
Mark