contact cleaner.

Old March 1st 19, 10:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default contact cleaner.

I started a new thread as I wanted to warn people that the stuff in some of
these cans is not always safe.
For many years I used a small can of some stuff made by tixo and it worked
wonders. Then when Tandy closed it vanished so bought some servicol. It
claimed to be safe on common plastics.
Well an audio mixer I had must have contained some uncommon ones as after
giving the headphone socket a squirt to fix dodgy connections, by the next
day the plugs would just drop in and there was no spring left. I assume
whatever glue was used to retain the contacts had, ahem relaxed.

I used to use Eletrolube at work and had no issues other than it tended to
only work for a while while servicol seemed to last longer.
Most pots were not noisy due to the carbon slider but due to the rotating
or sliding contact that went to the slider.
If cleaning that failed you could be pretty sure the pot track had in fact
worn out. I found this a common problem on Sony tape recorders, and their
slide switches tended to give trouble due to the red gloop they used to hold
the contacts in going slightly conductive over time and making things just
not work.
Its that old planned obsolescence again.