Fun with subtitles

Old March 9th 19, 09:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Fun with subtitles

One of the biggest problems with modern kit is the self destruction system
build into their remote controls.
Most of the modern ones seem to die in a couple of years on the most used
buttons like OK and up down etc. Yet I have a tatty old Denon from the 90s,
looks very much the same but it soldiers on.

"Davey" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 17:40:49 +0100
Martin wrote:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 17:05:12 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 15:49:19 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 15:19:58 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

They are very handy though until they see sense and start building
radios with knobs again that blind people can feel.
Brian

I never get rid of the knobbed ones, it's the modern stuff that
fails. My 'HiFi' is a Goodmans Module 80. Now, where is that VCR
recorder I found the other day...

Almost all the knobs have failed on my circa 1980 Sony Receiver.
OTOH all the knobs on an October 2nd Philips Alarm clock radio and
the radio still work.

October 2nd 1980 ...

Thanks, I was wondering why five months old was so good..!

--
Davey.

Old March 9th 19, 10:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_3_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on March 23, 2019.

Martin wrote:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 17:05:12 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 15:49:19 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 15:19:58 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

They are very handy though until they see sense and start building
radios with knobs again that blind people can feel.
Brian

I never get rid of the knobbed ones, it's the modern stuff that
fails. My 'HiFi' is a Goodmans Module 80. Now, where is that VCR
recorder I found the other day...

Almost all the knobs have failed on my circa 1980 Sony Receiver.
OTOH all the knobs on an October 2nd Philips Alarm clock radio and
the radio still work.

October 2nd 1980 ...

Thanks, I was wondering why five months old was so good..!

Did you wonder how I knew the date?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old March 9th 19, 12:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

wrote:
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 15:49:19 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 15:19:58 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

They are very handy though until they see sense and start
building radios with knobs again that blind people can feel.
Brian

I never get rid of the knobbed ones, it's the modern stuff that
fails. My 'HiFi' is a Goodmans Module 80. Now, where is that VCR
recorder I found the other day...

Almost all the knobs have failed on my circa 1980 Sony Receiver.
OTOH all the knobs on an October 2nd Philips Alarm clock radio
and the radio still work.

October 2nd 1980 ...

Thanks, I was wondering why five months old was so good..!

Did you wonder how I knew the date?

Briefly, but I didn't obsess about it. Maybe it was a birthday present.

--
Davey.
Old March 9th 19, 12:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 08:22:19 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

One of the biggest problems with modern kit is the self destruction
system build into their remote controls.
Most of the modern ones seem to die in a couple of years on the most
used buttons like OK and up down etc. Yet I have a tatty old Denon
from the 90s, looks very much the same but it soldiers on.
Brian

And with devices that only work via the remote control, that is a
problem. It's hard to find an aftermarket one that really works
properly on all buttons.

The Goodmans will never have that problem, of course. There weren't
many remote controls around in 1976. Now even my outdoor security light
has one!

--
Davey.

More fun with subtitles Davey UK digital tv 10 September 21st 18 12:09 AM
Fun with subtitles Davey UK digital tv 1 November 1st 15 04:47 PM
Some Real Fun And Probably Stupid Questions From A HDTV Newbie mzmeryze High definition TV 17 October 17th 03 12:22 AM
Some Real Fun And Probably Stupid Questions From A HDTV Newbie mzmeryze High definition TV 0 October 2nd 03 01:23 AM
Comcast HDTV fun in Western PA (venting) John C. Ring, Jr. High definition TV 10 September 1st 03 05:11 PM