TOSHIBA

Old March 12th 19, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

Default TOSHIBA

On 12/03/2019 11:16, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 21:05:52 +0000 (GMT), charles

the dog from that film you saw wrote:

used to have a sharp lcd tv years ago that did that.
never figured out what possible purpose it served.

you might want to watch it through a mirror

At a barbers for example.

AIUI, some LCD monitors had the flip feature, so that they could be used
in video arcade machine to replace large frame CRT tubes, that were
originally mounted at the bottom of the cabinet 'projecting' into a
mirror.

--
Adrian C
Old March 13th 19, 10:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 13:34:50 +0000, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

[mirror switching of displays]

used to have a sharp lcd tv years ago that did that.
never figured out what possible purpose it served.

you might want to watch it through a mirror

At a barbers for example.

AIUI, some LCD monitors had the flip feature, so that they could be used
in video arcade machine to replace large frame CRT tubes, that were
originally mounted at the bottom of the cabinet 'projecting' into a
mirror.

Long ago in the days of CRT displays, desks in TV shows would
sometimes incorporate small picture monitors for the presenters or
contestants. CRT monitors were quite long things in comparison to the
dimensions of the picture, so rather than compromise the design of a
desk by having their back ends sticking out, they would be mounted
either inside the front of the desk facing upwards, or on a shelf just
underneath the desk facing away from the presenter. There were several
monitors that someone had modified by fitting reversing switches to
the scan coils, with instructions not to operate the switches while
the monitor was switched on, in case of scan burn on the screen, or
possible damage to the driving circuitry.

It would only be necessary to reverse one set of scans to give a
correct picture in a mirror, but whether to reverse horizontal or
vertical scans would depend on how the monitor was to be physically
mounted, and I recall seeing monitors with two reversing switches.

Reversing the scans in a camera was an even bigger deal, especially if
it was a colour camera, as it required realignment afterwards, so a
mirror shot would mean swapping to a camera that had been prepared in
advance. The switches for this, when fitted, were usually inside the
camera, or on the control unit, so only accessible to engineers. When,
many years later, I had need to modify a small camera to make scan
switching possible, I did it by wiring the coils to an inline
connector with a reversible plug with shorting links. This was behind
one of the side panels, so only available as a workshop adjustment.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old March 13th 19, 10:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 13:00:24 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

I don't think I've seen anything else that looks like a domestic TV,
that can have the picture flipped upside down or reversed.

used to have a sharp lcd tv years ago that did that.
never figured out what possible purpose it served.

you might want to watch it through a mirror

Some little tellys do it because they are sometimes used as monitors for
rear view cameras. I don't mean cameras for viewing people's rears. Oh,
you know what I mean.

Selfie cameras in phones do it automatically, presumably to make the
camera easier to aim. Try taking a selfie and then immediately look at
the picture you've just taken and you'll see what I mean.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old March 13th 19, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 13/03/2019 09:55, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Selfie cameras in phones do it automatically, presumably to make the
camera easier to aim. Try taking a selfie and then immediately look at
the picture you've just taken and you'll see what I mean.

Curiously Whatsapp turns the image the 'right' way round (if you take
the selfie within Whatsapp itself, rather than attaching the photo as an
object).

--
Mark
Old March 13th 19, 01:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ashley Booth[_3_]

wrote:

I don't think I've seen anything else that looks like a domestic

TV, that can have the picture flipped upside down or reversed.

used to have a sharp lcd tv years ago that did that.
never figured out what possible purpose it served.

you might want to watch it through a mirror

Some little tellys do it because they are sometimes used as
monitors for rear view cameras. I don't mean cameras for viewing
people's rears. Oh, you know what I mean.

Selfie cameras in phones do it automatically, presumably to make the
camera easier to aim. Try taking a selfie and then immediately look at
the picture you've just taken and you'll see what I mean.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

And so does Skype!