Repoposing Sky dishes?

Old March 19th 19, 03:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Repoposing Sky dishes?

On 18/03/2019 20:05, Richard Tobin wrote:

It's true that they penetrate some way in - of the order of a
centimetre for meat. But they impart energy over that centimetre, not
after it. So I'm not sure how different it would feel.

-- Richard

Microwaves can make your pupils go cloudy.

Old March 19th 19, 07:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]

On 19/03/2019 03:42, Bill Wright wrote:
On 18/03/2019 20:05, Richard Tobin wrote:

It's true that they penetrate some way in - of the order of a
centimetre for meat.* But they impart energy over that centimetre, not
after it.* So I'm not sure how different it would feel.

-- Richard

Microwaves can make your pupils go cloudy.

Bill

When I was a teacher I think my pupils were delivered cloudy...

Dave
Old March 19th 19, 01:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 18/03/2019 23:48, tony sayer wrote:

JOOI where is our Jim, haven't seen him post for a while anywhere now?..

He's still around, because he's been posting within just this last week
to the GetIPlayer mailing list, but you're right, he doesn't seem to
have been posting here for a long while. Nudged by your remark, I find
that the most recent search hit in Thunderbird that I have for him was
30th April last year in a thread entitled "Can I, aged 69, really assess
hi-fi speakers?". Perhaps he got ****ed off with so much OT crap of
several months back, but that's just a guess on my part, based on
roughly when he seemed to stop posting.
Old March 19th 19, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 19/03/2019 03:42, Bill Wright wrote:
On 18/03/2019 20:05, Richard Tobin wrote:

It's true that they penetrate some way in - of the order of a
centimetre for meat.* But they impart energy over that centimetre, not
after it.* So I'm not sure how different it would feel.

Microwaves can make your pupils go cloudy.

The pupil is just the hole in the iris - it has no substance to "go cloudy".

--
Max Demian
Old March 19th 19, 06:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 19/03/2019 17:32, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 15:28:02 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 19/03/2019 03:42, Bill Wright wrote:
On 18/03/2019 20:05, Richard Tobin wrote:

It's true that they penetrate some way in - of the order of a
centimetre for meat.* But they impart energy over that centimetre, not
after it.* So I'm not sure how different it would feel.

Microwaves can make your pupils go cloudy.

The pupil is just the hole in the iris - it has no substance to "go cloudy".

So the hole is a vacuum?

It's filled with "aqueous humour". If that goes cloudy, you would say
the aqueous humour is cloudy, not the pupil which just encompasses part
of it. A hole is a hole, an absence.

--
Max Demian
Old March 19th 19, 07:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
Microwaves can make your pupils go cloudy.

The pupil is just the hole in the iris - it has no substance to "go
cloudy".

So the hole is a vacuum?

It's filled with "aqueous humour". If that goes cloudy, you would say the
aqueous humour is cloudy, not the pupil which just encompasses part of it.
A hole is a hole, an absence.

True, although it is through this hole in the iris (ie through the cornea
and the aqueous/vitrous humours) that the cloudiness is visible - so to all
intents and purposes "the pupil" has gone cloudy, even if it is the cornea
and humours that have actually gone cloudy.

Anyway, you wouldn't want to be exposed to large amounts of microwaves if
they cause that problem. They also can cause sterility.

Old March 19th 19, 10:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Java Jive
scribeth thus
On 18/03/2019 23:48, tony sayer wrote:

JOOI where is our Jim, haven't seen him post for a while anywhere now?..

He's still around, because he's been posting within just this last week
to the GetIPlayer mailing list, but you're right, he doesn't seem to
have been posting here for a long while. Nudged by your remark, I find
that the most recent search hit in Thunderbird that I have for him was
30th April last year in a thread entitled "Can I, aged 69, really assess
hi-fi speakers?". Perhaps he got ****ed off with so much OT crap of
several months back, but that's just a guess on my part, based on
roughly when he seemed to stop posting.

OK just wondered if anything that adverse other then ng posting blues
had happened;!.
--
Tony Sayer

Old March 22nd 19, 04:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 18/03/2019 14:57, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Monday, 18 March 2019 08:53:22 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes some of these magic heat retentive coatings its a lot more, apparently.
The thing is it worries me that for the want of a few pence they could
easily add a socket to a router so an extra aerial could be added outside.

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 17/03/2019 11:13, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 17/03/2019 09:37, Terry Casey wrote:

Another suggestion, as it is just across the road, is to use a
wifi router with a traditional whip aerial and make a suitable
reflector to direct all the energy in one direction.

I have seen it done with the sending end positioning the router so that
its broadcast includes an upstairs window looking towards the receiving
point opposite, and in the upstairs window of the receiving point
opposite is a wifi repeater which re-broadcasts to the rest of that
house. It works because the upstairs windows are above the normal traffic
height, but I suppose if the sending end had thought to use a reflector
it would work better.

Next time I am round that way I might mention trying a reflector.

Jim

I tested loss through my double glazing and at 2.4GHz it was 9dB.

Bill

Many homes now have either insulation boards with aluminium foil coating in the walls or have been injected with aluminium coated polystyrene beads.

The former make a pretty effective Faraday cage...

None of the 100+ house new estates that have been built near me in
recent years (one still in progress) seem to have put *any* cavity
wall insulation in.

I walk past most days on my daily amble and I know what 'celotex' or
full-fill rockwool batts loook like when the wall is under construction,
and I see no sign of either.
Old March 22nd 19, 04:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 18/03/2019 08:50, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm sure there has to be a joke here about Heinz but it eludes me at the
moment.
Brian

Wolff ??
Old March 22nd 19, 08:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/03/2019 16:41, Andrew wrote:

I walk past most days on my daily amble and I know what 'celotex' or
full-fill rockwool batts loook like when the wall is under construction,
and I see no sign of either.

About ten years ago when I was doing 'wind turbine amelioration' work
there was a complaint from someone that their reception had gone crap
when the turbine had begun to rotate. It was coincidence; A new house
with steep roofs (a massive games room in the roof space) had been built
and the foil backed stuff was right in the way of the signal. I lifted
the complainant's aerial three or four feet and that fixed it.