Shows to bring back

Old January 4th 19, 10:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

Default Shows to bring back

On 24/12/2018 16:54, Java Jive wrote:
I wish they'd rebroadcast, preferably without f*king them about (for
example by cutting off the tops of peoples' heads to try and change the
aspect ratio):

We've just watched one of the Christmas ghost stories. Filmed in 1973
with 16mm film. Lovely and clear, hardly any scratches.

And 4:3, even to the DOG.

Andy
Old January 4th 19, 11:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/12/2018 18:10, Terry Casey wrote:
"When we were ib the tavern" is, I think, the normal
tranlation!

When was the last time you told someone you were going down to the
tavern for a drink?

There is a tavern in the town ...
And there my true love sits him down ....

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old January 4th 19, 11:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_7_]

On 04/01/2019 22:04, charles wrote:
In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/12/2018 18:10, Terry Casey wrote:
"When we were ib the tavern" is, I think, the normal
tranlation!

When was the last time you told someone you were going down to the
tavern for a drink?

There is a tavern in the town ...
And there my true love sits him down ....

Those were the days:

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
And dreamed of all the great things we would do?

And of course there's Punch Taverns:

"We are one of the UK’s leading, independent pub companies, with around
1,300 pubs across the UK"

Old January 4th 19, 11:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

*** Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/12/2018 18:10, Terry Casey wrote:
"When we were ib the tavern" is, I think, the normal
tranlation!

When was the last time you told someone you were going down to the
tavern for a drink?

There is a tavern in the town ...
And there my true love sits him down ....

Those were the days:

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
And dreamed of all the great things we would do?

Sometimes it's better to translate a period piece using English of the
same period. I once read an English translation of an eighteenth century
French novel where someone was said to be acting like a robot. I think
'automaton' would have been better.

--
Max Demian
Old January 5th 19, 04:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , charles
writes
In article .uk,
Paul Cummins wrote:
In article ,
lid (Terry Casey) wrote:

"When we were ib the tavern" is, I think, the normal
tranlation!

In Taverna is better translated "in the wine-house"

don't we call it a "Wine bar".

He was probably thinking of Amy
--
Ian
Old January 5th 19, 05:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/12/2018 18:10, Terry Casey wrote:
"When we were ib the tavern" is, I think, the normal
tranlation!

When was the last time you told someone you were going down to the
tavern for a drink?

There is a tavern in the town ...
And there my true love sits him down ....

That was Dick Taverne's campaign song