Blocked by digital recording management

Old January 14th 19, 07:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Blocked by digital recording management

On 13/01/19 20:12, John Hall wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Looking at some possibilities for replacing my PVR, I noticed in some
Humax manuals that one icon meant "Blocked by digital recording
management". But Google doesn't seem to have much on this (other than
it being mentioned in some PVR manuals).

I assume that this is something like "Macrovision" was for analogue
tape recording. But is there any more info on it? Has it been
implemented?

Try searching on digital rights management instead, which I assume is
the more common name for the same thing. For example there's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Yes, I am aware of Digital Rights Management (DRM). I assumed this was
what "Digital Recording Management" meant, but wondered why there was so
little on that specific term on the internet. It just seems such a
strange term for Humax to use, when "DRM" has been around for such a
long time.

It's commonly abbreviated to DRM. At one time it was common for songs in
MP3 format, which one had bought perfectly legally from Amazon or
wherever, to employ it, which meant that if you upgraded to a new PC you
couldn't play the songs in question after you'd copied them over, which
was exceedingly annoying. Thankfully nowadays it no longer seems to be
used much.

As others have pointed out, its main use these days seems to be limited
to playing HD recordings only on the device which made the recording.

--

Jeff
Old January 15th 19, 09:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 14/01/2019 17:49, tim... wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message

there's no function to do this that I can see on my box

Enigma 2 boxes have this capability.

that's not a mainstream "domestic" box though is it

I have an Xtrend Enigma2 receiver/PVR running OpenVix which can record
to an internal disk, an external USB disk/stick or to a network drive

seems to be discontinued

My model has been superseded by models from many manufacturers that now
also cater for 4K broadcasts. Many models have plug in tuners that can be
either terrestrial or satellite (or both). My Xtrend box has 4 tuners, 2
off terrestrial and 2 off satellite and can record from all in parallel.

OpenVix software
http://www.openvix.co.uk/

the left hand side of that page shows the 18 brands of Enigma2 boxes
supported. They come in various specifications at various price points.
Some only support satellite with fixed tuners, other support terrestrial
and/or satellite with plug in tuners.

Boxes available from
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...ital-receivers

yep that's the site that I found

I found nothing there that does what I want (Freeview!)

And even if I wanted a sat box, I still couldn't find out what I actually
might need to buy

Note some of the boxes on that may be Android and not Enigma2 and are more
possibly suited to IPTV.

I'm not interested in IPTV

I want to record off air

tim

Old January 15th 19, 10:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 13:48:30 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:38:02 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

DRM I think so, but I also noted that some online subscription stuff
claims
it will only play for a month even if downloaded so I resent this approach
to media myself.

It's true. I once downloaded a TV programme from iPlayer, and the file
played for a while - it was a piece of music so I played it several
times - then one day became indecipherable. I know there are ways
around this but they all seem like a lot of trouble just to be able to
watch telly.

I find it difficult to understand how anybody could think that
depriving the public of something that is in the public domain, having
already been broadcast, could confer any advantage on anybody.

because they can sell re-run rights to someone else

They could anyway. There are plenty of programmes that are
simultaneously available on streaming services, repeats on the more
obscure Freeview channels, and on boxed sets of disks in the shops and
on Amazon. Sometimes a box set will be advertised even before all the
episodes have been broadcast. You wouldn't think there would be much
of a market for stuff that people have already seen, or have the means
to record off-air for themselves, but apparently there is.

Rod.
Old January 15th 19, 06:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 15/01/2019 08:39, tim... wrote:

I found nothing there that does what I want (Freeview!)

They are not branded Freeview or Freesat, only free to air, but I get
both 7 day EPG over the air for both Freeview and Freesat channels on my
box. A lot of software has been written for these boxes to support UK users.

For instance the video guide for setting up Freeview
http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/g.../video-guides/

Although my box does both Terrestrial and Satellite if I was buying
again I would ditch Terrestrial.

And even if I wanted a sat box, I still couldn't find out what I
actually might need to buy

Any of the Enigma 2 boxes with a satellite tuner running OpenVix.
Ideally 2 or more satellite tuners as the boxes can record 8+ programs
at the same time.

Alternatively, the more recent 4K boxes support unicable LNBs and FBC
tuners. You get the equivalent of multiple "legacy" tuners with one
cable from a LNB

This tread gives some information (you may have to register to the forum
to see the post ????)
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...using-Unicable
Read the whole thread

Old January 17th 19, 11:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

On 13/01/2019 18:29, Jeff Layman wrote:
Looking at some possibilities for replacing my PVR, I noticed in some
Humax manuals that one icon meant "Blocked by digital recording
management". But Google doesn't seem to have much on this (other than it
being mentioned in some PVR manuals).

I assume that this is something like "Macrovision" was for analogue tape
recording. But is there any more info on it? Has it been implemented?

A Linux PVR will record FTA Terrestrial and Satellite transmissions
without encryption.

--
Michael Chare