Sky HD for 75

Old July 22nd 08, 09:25 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Ed[_8_]

Default Sky HD for 75

On Jul 22, 12:07*am, "Felicity S." [email protected] wrote:
Ed wrote:
Felicity S. wrote:
Ed wrote:
Felicity S. wrote:
I'm not being picky. You keep telling me that I can get a HD box for
just 75 but if I want to watch TV with it, the cost is 417 for the
first year alone. Now Nigel Barker tells me (thanks Nigel) that after
one year I can cancel all subscriptions but then I will no longer be
able to use the recording function - which is the whole point.
This means that if I want to continue using the machine for say five
years it'd cost me a horrifying 1,665 for a supposedly cheap box!
No hidden costs? Pah!
I didnt say that and you know it.
You said (it's further up the thread) "Nothing hidden."
I said Sky HD. SKY implies subscription costs.
It was because Sky equals subscription costs that I asked you for the
costs which you didn't mention. And you qualified the price with "just"
which implies that there are no further costs. And while I don't mind
an installation fee and expected a minimum subscription, quite honestly
I'm appalled that they charge 10/month to use the HD box later on.
If you want an HD Freesat PVR then wait until Humax bring one out!
The buzz is that the manufacturers of the Sky box are bringing out
a modified & enhanced model for Freesat - which will automatically
have double the recording capacity and of course no hidden costs.

I do hope so. A sky box has double the recording capacity it allows
you, but half the disk is locked for use only by $ky.

Until one of your teenagers accesses it and runs up higher bills?

Fliss

No, the reserved area of a Sky box's disk is used by 'Anytime TV',
Sky's laughable attempt at TV on demand.

As for teenagers running up bills, you can do two things to prevent
that. Set a pin for purchases via the box, or accidentally forget to
plug in the phone connection.
Old July 22nd 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Zero Tolerance

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 00:08:44 BST, "Felicity S." [email protected]
wrote:

When I talk about using a HD recorder, I mean using it to record HD.

Oh, well if you insist on being technical.

The cheap Sky+ HD box offer is dependent on you taking the subscription
HD channels for a year, though. But nothing says you need to keep them
after the 12 months is up.

Nigel Barker (earlier in this thread) says that you must.

Nigel Barker (parentheses) is mistaken. The Sky+HD will happily record
any channel as long as you have some kind of Sky subscription, so you
do not need to keep the HD channels subscription (10/month) so long
as you have any other subscription in place.

Entirely fictitious, sadly.

A good friend has contacts who tells me that plans are underway.

Your good friend is mistaken. The Sky+ HD box is made by Thomson. The
'Freesat' PVR is being developed by Humax.

Old July 24th 08, 01:26 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Felicity S.

Ed wrote:
Felicity S. wrote:
Ed wrote:
Felicity S. wrote:

you, but half the disk is locked for use only by $ky.

Until one of your teenagers accesses it and runs up higher bills?

No, the reserved area of a Sky box's disk is used by 'Anytime TV',
Sky's laughable attempt at TV on demand.

As for teenagers running up bills, you can do two things to prevent
that. Set a pin for purchases via the box, or accidentally forget to
plug in the phone connection.

LOL, you don't have any teenagers, do you?

Fliss

--
He said: Hey, that's good! She really looks...
You made her look beautiful.

Old July 24th 08, 01:27 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Felicity S.

Nigel Barker wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 00:08:44 BST, "Felicity S." [email protected] wrote:

The cheap Sky+ HD box offer is dependent on you taking the subscription
HD channels for a year, though. But nothing says you need to keep them
after the 12 months is up.

Nigel Barker (earlier in this thread) says that you must.

I didn't say that.

Sorry Nigel.

However if you want to keep the recording function of your Sky HD PVR
then a minimum subscription of 10 pounds per month is necessary. The
minimum Sky HD subscription is 26 pounds per month which includes Sky+
recording.

Okay.

Fliss

--
She said: You campaigned for me? Why? You think all this...
'school spirit' stuff is stupid.

Old July 24th 08, 01:28 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.media.tv.misc
Felicity S.

wrote:

When I talk about using a HD recorder, I mean using it to record HD.

Oh, well if you insist on being technical.

The cheap Sky+ HD box offer is dependent on you taking the subscription
HD channels for a year, though. But nothing says you need to keep them
after the 12 months is up.

Nigel Barker (earlier in this thread) says that you must.

Nigel Barker (parentheses) is mistaken.

Don't blame him, blame me for overparaphrasing.

Entirely fictitious, sadly.

A good friend has contacts who tells me that plans are underway.

Your good friend is mistaken. The Sky+ HD box is made by Thomson. The
'Freesat' PVR is being developed by Humax.

I know that. So does he. Watch this space.

Fliss

--
She said: If it weren't for you I would still be the
Queen of Portugal. And now, what am I?