Sky box dead

Old July 29th 08, 12:06 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Bat

Default Sky box dead

Apologies for a duplicate post.

Bat.

Old July 29th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Clem Dye

John Russell wrote:
"Clem Dye" wrote in message
m...
John Russell wrote:
If you go the $ky route you're at the mercy of $ky. With a Freesat or
FTA box you have a lot more flexibility.

Like the flexibility to upgrade to subscription services once you realise
most of the free channels aren't worth watching?

Well, we could get into a debate here. Let's see - loads of repeats on the
likes of Sky One, ridiculous amounts of on-screen junk, ad. breaks on
channels that I'm paying for. Sounds a bargain to me - not. I can see an
argument for the sports channels perhaps, but even those have breaks in -
that really screws-up watching cricket for me. Films are cheaper to rent
or buy on DVD too.

If you want to use a closed platform, be locked into an expensive contract
and pay for all of the junk that I've described above go ahead - a fool
and his money are easily parted, as I think the expression goes. Me, and
loads of others, will and can wait just a little longer for programmes
that are of interest to end-up on the FTA channels.

Good luck!

Clem

Heard the same argument about there being no need for Freeview. Lot's of
channels not worth watching that are just repeats of what the Big 5 do
anyway. The Big 5 are now crap because they can't "force" people to watch
whatever drivel they put out. Choice has created this. I'd rather pay to
watch something I want to watch than follow the sheep and watch something I
don't.

If you're comfortable paying over the top for programmes frequently
broken with ad. breaks, ridiculous on screen graphics etc., that's fine.
I can certainly appreciate why some people want to pay for such services
- some stuff is certainly only available via pay-TV. What I find
irritating about pay-TV (in particular) is that I'm paying for the crap
and that distracts me from what I'm actually paying for, which is why I
stopped subscribing to Sky many years ago. With very few exceptions I
and my bank balance are glad I did. If I knew I could watch programmes
without ad. breaks every 5 minutes and the on-screen DOGs then I might
just be tempted to re-subscribe, but that won't happen whilst people
such as your good self are happy to pay for the service as it is now.

Clem
Old July 29th 08, 08:58 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
John Russell

"Clem Dye" wrote in message
om...
John Russell wrote:
"Clem Dye" wrote in message
m...
John Russell wrote:
[...]

Rubbish without DOGS, or what I want with DOGS? Umm. I guess you could just
stop watching TV completely and save on the Licence Fee!

Old July 29th 08, 10:44 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Zero Tolerance

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:11:49 GMT, Clem Dye wrote:

If you're comfortable paying over the top for programmes frequently
broken with ad. breaks, ridiculous on screen graphics etc., that's fine.

What you're forgetting is that even "free" TV is broken with ad breaks
and ridiculous on screen graphics - so those are not a particular
deterrent to pay-TV. It just comes down to whether you like the
programmes you have to pay for, better than the programmes you get for
free.