Disney to sell movies on MicroSD cards

Old July 22nd 09, 07:55 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
UCLAN

Default Disney to sell movies on MicroSD cards

Forget DVDs, forget Blu-Ray. Disney and Panasonic see the future and that
future is movies on flash cards. That’s right, those same tiny memory cards
that you buy for your digital camera/MP3 player will soon be available with
films pre-loaded on.

Disney and Panasonic are starting things off by packaging pre-recorded microSD
cards together with DVDs holding the same movie content. That way users can
easily watch their favorite DVDs on portable players.

Movies on flash cards are the future, but we aren’t sure if this particular
venture will fly or not because not everyone has MicroSD yet.

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2009/07...microsd-cards/

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.
Old July 23rd 09, 06:48 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:55:01 -0700, UCLAN wrote:

Forget DVDs, forget Blu-Ray. Disney and Panasonic see the future and
that future is movies on flash cards. That’s right, those same tiny
memory cards that you buy for your digital camera/MP3 player will soon
be available with films pre-loaded on.

Disney and Panasonic are starting things off by packaging pre-recorded
microSD cards together with DVDs holding the same movie content. That
way users can easily watch their favorite DVDs on portable players.

Movies on flash cards are the future, but we aren’t sure if this
particular venture will fly or not because not everyone has MicroSD yet.

Movies preloaded on flash drives have been around for some time now. And
almost everyone has a USB port.

Old July 23rd 09, 02:09 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Kalarama[_2_]

"UCLAN" wrote in message
Forget DVDs, forget Blu-Ray. Disney and Panasonic see the future and that
future is movies on flash cards. That’s right, those same tiny memory
cards that you buy for your digital camera/MP3 player will soon be
available with films pre-loaded on.

Disney and Panasonic are starting things off by packaging pre-recorded
microSD cards together with DVDs holding the same movie content. That way
users can easily watch their favorite DVDs on portable players.

Movies on flash cards are the future, but we aren’t sure if this
particular venture will fly or not because not everyone has MicroSD yet.

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2009/07...microsd-cards/

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.

Are these cards still subject to ESD [static] damage?

Old July 23rd 09, 02:33 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Ivan[_2_]

"Kalarama" wrote in message
"UCLAN" wrote in message
Forget DVDs, forget Blu-Ray. Disney and Panasonic see the future and that
future is movies on flash cards. That's right, those same tiny memory
cards that you buy for your digital camera/MP3 player will soon be
available with films pre-loaded on.

Disney and Panasonic are starting things off by packaging pre-recorded
microSD cards together with DVDs holding the same movie content. That way
users can easily watch their favorite DVDs on portable players.

Movies on flash cards are the future, but we aren't sure if this
particular venture will fly or not because not everyone has MicroSD yet.

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2009/07...microsd-cards/

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.

Are these cards still subject to ESD [static] damage?

People worry about the vulnerability of flash memory cards, however I've got
quite a collection of SD cards which have been recorded on and formatted
dozens of times over a number of years, whether I've been lucky or not I
don't know, but up until now I haven't yet had a card failure .. wish I
could say the same of about some makes of CD/DVD disks I've used in the
past.

Old July 23rd 09, 08:50 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
UCLAN[_2_]

Studios involved? Movies included? Available at __________?
Old July 24th 09, 09:53 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Bob Edgeworthy

"UCLAN" wrote in message
Forget DVDs, forget Blu-Ray. Disney and Panasonic see the future and that
future is movies on flash cards. That’s right, those same tiny memory
cards that you buy for your digital camera/MP3 player will soon be
available with films pre-loaded on.

Disney and Panasonic are starting things off by packaging pre-recorded
microSD cards together with DVDs holding the same movie content. That way
users can easily watch their favorite DVDs on portable players.

Movies on flash cards are the future, but we aren’t sure if this
particular venture will fly or not because not everyone has MicroSD yet.

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2009/07...microsd-cards/

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Sounds great!

But what about prices? Would the average person be willing to spend an extra
20 bucks for an HD movie on an eight gig card?

Old July 24th 09, 09:10 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Kalarama[_2_]

"Ivan" wrote in message

"Kalarama" wrote in message
"UCLAN" wrote in message
[...]

I take it that you don't let them cavort around in a shirt pocket or go thru
the clothes dryer. ;-)

Old July 24th 09, 09:30 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Ivan[_2_]

"Kalarama" wrote in message
"Ivan" wrote in message

"Kalarama" wrote in message
"UCLAN" wrote in message
[...]

Not quite gone that far with an SD card, but about three years ago a cheap
250mb MP3 player did go through a complete wash cycle including a 900 spin
and last time I checked it still works!

IMV the 'possibility' of a 2tb SD card looks exciting, if it ever does come
to fruition, especially at a realistic price, then I see it revolutionising
computers, media storage and retrieval in a way we haven't seen before.
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/sdxc_memory_cards/

Old July 25th 09, 12:50 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Kalarama[_2_]

"ASCII" wrote in message news:[email protected]
Kalarama wrote:

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2009/07...microsd-cards/

Are these cards still subject to ESD [static] damage?

Assuming the data transfer speed issues will be resolved,
(when my camera uses microsd, it's much slower than regular sd)
Maybe the packaging of tomorrow will involve mini faraday cages to
thwart some miscreant going into a video store with a stun gun. ;-)

Sounds like my old tech school joke of burying a remote-controlled bulk tape
eraser head inside one of the computer desks. :-)

Old July 25th 09, 01:55 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Kalarama[_2_]

"Ivan" wrote

IMV the 'possibility' of a 2tb SD card looks exciting, if it ever does
come to fruition, especially at a realistic price, then I see it
revolutionising computers, media storage and retrieval in a way we haven't
seen before.
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/sdxc_memory_cards/

And, a 32GB card is already available:
http://gizmodo.com/5165352/first-sdx...nly-holds-32gb

Gawd-Dayum.....this could get insane . . . these will sledge-hammer railroad
spikes into the harddrives' coffin.

Imagine an IR remote control with a slot for an SDXC fingernail card,
sending HD material by RF to the display. . . and . . . ?

FA: Disney And Others Dragon UK sky 1 October 16th 04 12:01 AM
If its illegal to sell modifed dvd players etc , how come Richer sounds, Argos and a fair few other large companys seem to be allowed to sell them ? Don't Give Me All That Righteous Stuff UK home cinema 12 October 5th 04 11:57 AM
Anybody want to sell me some HD-DVHS movies recorded from cable/sat. Andrew Lewis High definition TV 6 May 13th 04 09:29 PM
Disney Anyone? Ade Evans UK digital tv 5 January 10th 04 12:43 PM
Disney G1-7 Charles M Satellite tvro 8 October 19th 03 04:07 AM