Strange echoes

Old July 20th 16, 08:06 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Default Strange echoes

I watch TV at night using headphones so as not to bother my wife trying to
sleep. I've noticed lately that on some shows, most notably M*A*S*H, but on a
few others, lines of dialog are echoed faintly in the background with about a
half second or second delay. Any idea what this phenomenon is? Thanks.
Old July 20th 16, 09:11 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Stephen H. Fischer

Was M*A*S*H originally saved on magnetic tape?

The print through from layer to layer I heard on older tapes after a few
years.

Not a problem today but M*A*S*H is so old.

When they re-mastered the series to clean up the picture I would have
expected the sound to be cleaned up.

SHF

Old July 20th 16, 11:38 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 13:11:13 -0700, "Stephen H. Fischer"
wrote:

Was M*A*S*H originally saved on magnetic tape?

The print through from layer to layer I heard on older tapes after a few
years.

Not a problem today but M*A*S*H is so old.

When they re-mastered the series to clean up the picture I would have
expected the sound to be cleaned up.

SHF

wrote in message
.. .
I watch TV at night using headphones so as not to bother my wife trying to
sleep. I've noticed lately that on some shows, most notably M*A*S*H, but
on a
few others, lines of dialog are echoed faintly in the background with
about a
half second or second delay. Any idea what this phenomenon is? Thanks.

Yeah, good point about the tape. I'm watching it on a cable channel, so I have
no idea what their source is.
Old July 21st 16, 02:05 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Bruce Esquibel[_2_]

Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

The print through from layer to layer I heard on older tapes after a few
years.

Not a problem today but M*A*S*H is so old.

I wonder if it's something with pseudo-stereo.

MASH is old enough to pre-date stereo broadcasting, so likely it's all mono
from the master tapes.

I wonder if the effect is intentional to give a sort-of-stereo quality that
is more noticable with headphones?

Else, some tv's have like a "surround mode" to make a wider soundstage from
the tinny speakers built in. Samsung uses "SRS TruSound HD" in some models
which causes a phasy/delayed/echo sound like that.

Not sure it's supposed to come out of the headphones if used, but who knows.

-bruce

Old July 21st 16, 02:36 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Steve Urbach

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 13:05:57 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Esquibel
wrote:

Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

The print through from layer to layer I heard on older tapes after a few
years.

Not a problem today but M*A*S*H is so old.

I wonder if it's something with pseudo-stereo.

MASH is old enough to pre-date stereo broadcasting, so likely it's all mono
from the master tapes.

I wonder if the effect is intentional to give a sort-of-stereo quality that
is more noticable with headphones?

Else, some tv's have like a "surround mode" to make a wider soundstage from
the tinny speakers built in. Samsung uses "SRS TruSound HD" in some models
which causes a phasy/delayed/echo sound like that.

Not sure it's supposed to come out of the headphones if used, but who knows.

-bruce

I think you have the winning answer:

FROM IMDB:
Sound Mix: Mono (RCA Sound Recording)
Old May 13th 17, 05:52 AM
Saeed Saeed is offline
Junior Member

Maybe it's a problem with the Bathmate pumps or your headphones.

Last edited by Saeed : October 18th 17 at 06:59 AM.

FA: FORT APACHE, THE BRONX laserdisc, STIR OF ECHOES, SE7EN dvds J Rusnak Home theater (general) 0 October 14th 08 06:04 PM
Strange! Brian Wescombe UK digital tv 3 July 10th 06 09:27 PM
A strange one on Sky+ Nige UK sky 2 August 20th 05 10:19 PM
Echoes and Lip Synch Ian Macmillan High definition TV 1 July 21st 05 03:44 PM
Only getting BBC 1 V. Strange problem!!! Aosmosis UK digital tv 0 July 22nd 04 05:42 PM