Comcast digital cable DTV

Old August 3rd 03, 02:44 AM

Default Comcast digital cable DTV

Please don't take any of my post with a harsh tone. I don't want to attack anyone I just wan't
to see if I can confirm my ideas.

First off wow! -- Now for your post ... I will assume that you are using a
4:3 HDTV. Also your STB does a force 1080i @ 16:9 for your component
output? See on a 4:3 HDTV programs that are orginal HD content will fill
the screen except for top/bottom, if your TV does a fill it will scretch to
fill the screen. 16:9 TVs should be filled.

Yes, I couldn't agree more with every word you said. I see no reason to distort the HD
image to fill a 4:3 television.

As for 4:3 original SD content,
this will always happen, its a 4:3 picture sent out a component output it
will have black bars top/bottom right/left ... Well what to do?

With all respect, this isn't true at all.
The component output can send at least 480i/480p/720p/1080i.
The resolution for SDTV is 480p/480i and as long as the rule is followed there
aren't any problems. Its much simpler to send the programs at the correct resolution versus
leaving the burdon upon the consumer to buy extra hardware and re-adjust the settings for
each channel. If the user want's to distort the 4:3 image into a 16:9 ratio then that should
be up to the user.

Also stop blaming the content providers, they send HD when its HD and SD
when its SD. What you need to do is find a STB that is selectable through
the components (480i, 480p, etc) and that can do zoom and fill. I would
bet to guess that you are using an SA3100HD from Comcast.

All the providers except whyy are sending all the SDTV DTV content as HDTV content.
ABC and NBC are maintaining the 4:3 ratio but sending it at the HDTV 1080i resolution
which is supposed to be reserved for 16:9 content. Thus the image is 4:3 inside a 16:9.
This makes the image a 4:3 inside a 16:9 inside a 4:3 on a 4:3 DTV. ESPN's DTV channel
seems to be stretching and distorting the 4:3 SDTV DTV content to fit a 16:9 window.
Many people (including the reps at comcast) don't seem to know you can buy digital
cable boxes. They haven't seemed to apear in the market much and its an added expense.
Also support for setting up an owned digital cable box is discourged.
I assume zooming would also degrade quality of an already SDTV DTV image. If the SDTV
content is simply sent as SDTV DTV things are much more simple.

Lastly stop asking the same question and go read the FAQs from your cable
provide, STB provider or one of the sites dedicated to these topics.

Sorry but the issues I'm bringing up aren't covered by the cable provider or the hardware.
The literature explains how to modify the the content but assumes that the content is
sent in the appropriate DTV format in order to be able to modify it to get proper results.

Please by no means take any offense by my attemt to provide insight.
I believe everthing I said in contradiction to the replied post is accurate.