Comcast ESPNHD

Old August 1st 03, 04:41 AM

Default Comcast ESPNHD

I saw the new added channel ESPN HD, but thus far all the content I have seen is just low
def tv sent at 1080i and a 4:3 image squished vertically in order to fit into a 16:9 shape without
having any unused area of the 16:9 screen. The image source is not only low quality but,
warped, originally 4:3, and won't even fill a 4:3 digital screen. The ABC and NBC channels
haven't been doing the same thing but its no better. ABC and NBC just send their 4:3 content
without warping it but it won't fill and 4:3 digital tv either. Instead they just send it inscribed in
a 16:9 window. It seems really silly to send all this 4:3 as if it wasn't 4:3 and at 16:9 resolutions
like 1080i which prevent the picture from being viewed. Have these people never thought
that 480p is the resolution that their DTV channles are supposed to be using unless they
have somthing HD to show. Unless they do this everthing comes out screwed up.

Old August 1st 03, 05:26 PM
ctsooner

netguy wrote in message
m...
[...]

First off wow! -- Now for your post ... I will assume that you are using a
4:3 HDTV. Also your STB does a force 1080i @ 16:9 for your component
output? See on a 4:3 HDTV programs that are orginal HD content will fill
the screen except for top/bottom, if your TV does a fill it will scretch to
fill the screen. 16:9 TVs should be filled. As for 4:3 original SD content,
this will always happen, its a 4:3 picture sent out a component output it
will have black bars top/bottom right/left ... Well what to do?

Check your local TV Guide or one of the other online guides to when original
HD content is being sent for example http://espn.go.com/espnhd/schedule.html
and watch that type of content via component out. For non-HD material use
your S-Video and stop watching upconverted SD stuff.

Also stop blaming the content providers, they send HD when its HD and SD
when its SD. What you need to do is find a STB that is selectable through
the components (480i, 480p, etc) and that can do zoom and fill. I would
bet to guess that you are using an SA3100HD from Comcast.

Lastly stop asking the same question and go read the FAQs from your cable
provide, STB provider or one of the sites dedicated to these topics.

Old August 21st 03, 04:38 PM
Put 030516 in email subj to get thru

ctsooner wrote:
First off wow! -- Now for your post ... I will assume that you are using a
4:3 HDTV. Also your STB does a force 1080i @ 16:9 for your component
output? See on a 4:3 HDTV programs that are orginal HD content will fill
the screen except for top/bottom, if your TV does a fill it will scretch to
fill the screen. 16:9 TVs should be filled. As for 4:3 original SD content,
this will always happen, its a 4:3 picture sent out a component output it
will have black bars top/bottom right/left ... Well what to do?

Actually, I think the original poster was correct. I have my 16:9
plasma TV set to display the signal from the cable box *without*
stretching it to fill the width of the TV. Most 4:3 channels work fine
with black bars showing on the right and left, but most of the time
ESPNHD seems to be broadcasting a 16:9 signal which is a stretched copy
of an original 4:3 signal. It's the only channel which shows up
stretched to fill the width of my 16:9 screen.

I hate stretched pictures.

--
Ben in DC
(put 030516 anywhere in the subj to get thru)