Why is comcast sending NON-HD material at 1080i?

Old July 15th 03, 02:17 AM

Default Why is comcast sending NON-HD material at 1080i?

Comcast seems to be sending non HDTV material at 1080i. This makes no sense since there
will be no increase in image quality. The main problem is that 4:3 HDTVs which are
disigned to show a larger picture for non HD 4:3 content are not able to because the content is
being sent as if it were HDTV 16:9 content at 1080i. The content should be sent at 480p to
allow a larger display of the 4:3 content. This would ofcourse not affect 16:9 screens since
4:3 content doesn't fill a 16:9 screen anyway. I wish somebody could influince comcast to make
this change.

Old July 15th 03, 03:50 AM
Steven Rubio

On 15 Jul 2003 01:17:39 GMT, netguy wrote:

Comcast seems to be sending non HDTV material at 1080i. This makes no sense since there
will be no increase in image quality. The main problem is that 4:3 HDTVs which are
disigned to show a larger picture for non HD 4:3 content are not able to because the content is
being sent as if it were HDTV 16:9 content at 1080i. The content should be sent at 480p to
allow a larger display of the 4:3 content. This would ofcourse not affect 16:9 screens since
4:3 content doesn't fill a 16:9 screen anyway. I wish somebody could influince comcast to make
this change.

I'm a newbie to this stuff, so I'm hoping for some further explanation
of what you're describing, because 1) I have a 4:3 HDTV, and 2) I've
got Comcast coming out on the 22nd to install an HD box. Are you
saying that all 170 or so stations will be goofy now, or just that
non-HD material on the five stations set aside for HD content will be
screwy with non-HD material?

Steven
Old July 15th 03, 05:20 AM
elvisonit

it's not comcast's fault. they are just sending along what the local HDTV
channels give them. when a network isn't sending a true HDTV signal, they
upconvert whatever is on the SDTV channel and try to make it fit in the 16X9
window, trying to avoid people complaining about burn-in. I remember a few
years ago that was a big complaint and also the logos in the corners were
burning in displays at HT stores.

--

Elvis is on it

m...