Thanks TiVo. Thanks for nothing

Old June 14th 04, 05:50 AM
alphageek

Default Thanks TiVo. Thanks for nothing

I've had a series 2 for a couple of years or so it seems, and I really enjoy
it. Since TiVo is promoting the 40 hour unit for $129, lower cost 2nd
subscription cost and the home networking included in the service without
additional fees, I bought a 40 hour series 2 to upgrade with huge disks.
Right on the box in big letters it says it is 'broadband ready enabled'.
That sounds cool.

Imagine if you can my frustration when I found out that the initial install
still requires a standard telephone line, which I no longer have after
switching to Vonage VoIP several months ago.

This Tivo is no more broadband ready than the original unit back when
software version 2 was all the rage. Once you get it setup with the POTS it
can be adapted to use broadband just like my original, but it isn't
broadband ready or even capable out of the box. With so many traditional
telephone users dropping their old land line in favor of cellular phones and
VoIP, Tivo better get on the ball.

So here I sit next to my 40 hour doorstop. Thanks TiVo for the truth in
advertising.

Old June 14th 04, 06:19 AM
Rod Smith

"alphageek" writes:

I bought a 40 hour series 2 to upgrade with huge disks.
Right on the box in big letters it says it is 'broadband ready enabled'.
That sounds cool.

Imagine if you can my frustration when I found out that the initial install
still requires a standard telephone line, which I no longer have after
switching to Vonage VoIP several months ago.

So here I sit next to my 40 hour doorstop. Thanks TiVo for the truth in
advertising.

If you just want to rant, then fine; but if you want practical advice,
consider these options:

1) Take the new unit to a friend's or neighbor's house, take it with you
to work, or run a long extension cord from a neighbor's house, to do
the initial setup. (This may take a while; you'll need to get it to
download new software.) Once it's downloaded the new software, take
the unit back to your house and use the USB-to-Ethernet adapter. You
may need to wait a couple of days between the initial setup and the
call that'll download the new software, so you may need to leave the
unit in its temporary home for a few days or run the extension cord
twice for this to work.
2) If your current TiVo is the same brand and series (presumably that
means a Series 2 TiVo-branded unit), remove its hard disk and copy it
onto a new and bigger disk, then install the new disk in the new TiVo.
This will copy your existing system's setup, including its updated
TiVo software and your lineup information, to the new TiVo. *DO NOT*
attempt this if your two TiVos are of different brands or series,
though; at best, it'll work for a while and then TiVo will shut off
your access to their servers, and at worst the new TiVo won't boot
with the wrong unit's software.
3) Buy an upgrade drive with the upgraded TiVo software pre-installed.
Lots of outfits, like Weaknees (http://www.weaknees.com) sell such
systems. (Be sure to ask about the software version they pre-install,
though.)
4) Download an upgraded software image from the Internet and use it to
prepare a hard disk for upgrading the new unit. There used to be FTP
sites with selections of TiVo software operating fairly openly, but
TiVo's gotten snotty and had them shut down. Thus, you might need to
do some hunting to find an appropriate image. (I can't offer you one
because I don't happen to have the image type you'd need.)

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Old June 14th 04, 06:20 AM
David G.

alphageek wrote:
[...]

Why won't it work with Vonage. My fax machine works fine with Vonage.

--
David G.
Old June 14th 04, 06:26 AM
Chaz

The fact that the initial install has has to be over a land line has been
covered many times in this group, but your point is well taken. It is
similar to my HDTV Ready plasma monitor which requires a $600 tuner to
actually receive HDTV signals...

--
"Show my head to the people. It is worth seeing."
Danton, Georges Jacques (1759-1794), French Revolutionary

Old June 14th 04, 07:01 AM
alphageek

"David G." wrote in message
alphageek wrote:
[...]

I don't know why TiVo won't work with Vonage, but it is a known issue. I too
have a fax machine that works on Vonage (with *99 prefix) , and I have 2
fax/modems...one works sometimes (US Robotics), the other (unknown mfgr)
doesn't at all. Vonage finally admitted that WinModems (software) do not
work, but has no comment on the subject of traditional UART modems. I've
tried with and without *99 but it just isn't reliable. With all the negative
reports TiVo and Vonage I haven't even tried. I plan to take the TiVo to
my office tomorrow and let it use the phone and the TV in the conference
room.

I am curious to know if you have a hardware modem on a computer can it
reliably dial out with Vonage?

Old June 14th 04, 08:15 AM
Stephane Beaudry

Imagine if you can my frustration when I found out that the initial
install
still requires a standard telephone line, which I no longer have after
switching to Vonage VoIP several months ago.

You might have one of the Pre 4.0 adapters that supports the dialing prefix
,#401, if so you can avoid the extra hassle of lugging the unit to your
work. My two series 2 have never used their internal modems and everytime I
redo the guided setup it prompts me for the phone settings and I continue to
use the backdoor.

Old June 14th 04, 08:19 AM
Lenroc

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:50:31 -0700, alphageek wrote:

Imagine if you can my frustration when I found out that the initial install
still requires a standard telephone line, which I no longer have after
switching to Vonage VoIP several months ago.

This is a documented problem, with an undocumented (by TiVo, AFAIK)
workaround:

When you get ready to make the "phone call" to complete Guided Setup, tell
it that you need to specify advanced options (or something like that...
I'm not looking at the screen, obviously). You need to enter a dialing
prefix of "#,401" (without the quotes), and that will "trick" the TiVo
into using your (wired*) USB-Ethernet adapter for Guided Setup.

If you need better instructions, look on the TivoCommunity forums

This question comes up all the time. Obviously that doesn't make it any
less frustrating to you, but often times searching before asking can help

* - You can't, unfortunately, use WiFi.

--
Lenroc
Old June 14th 04, 12:41 PM
Dr. Personality

In article , alphageek
wrote:

With all the negative
reports TiVo and Vonage I haven't even tried.

I suppose this would have come off better if you'd at least tried.
Old June 14th 04, 03:21 PM
David G.

alphageek wrote:
"David G." wrote in
message ...
alphageek wrote:
[...]

You need to be really careful taking Tivo to an office and using a phone
there. If you're on a PBX, you could easily blow the modem if Tivo does
not use the required circuitry to prevent a problem. Most PBX systems
run at a higher voltage than POTS lines. Either that, or the office
could be on a VOIP solution as well.

--
David G.

Old June 14th 04, 05:46 PM
Stephen Harris

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
David G. wrote:
Either that, or the office
could be on a VOIP solution as well.

In which case the phones will use CAT-5 (or better) ethernet and the
cable won't fit into the modem port anyway.

No; the VoIP solution could be at the switch, with normal analog or digital
connections to your standard desk phone. The user wouldn't know, but the
trunk traffic between switches could be VoIP.

--
Stephen Harris

The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.