Copper clad steel core in coax

Old August 11th 19, 01:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

Default Copper clad steel core in coax

I was in Wilco yesterday and noticed their coax
was 40p per metre so I snipped a couple of
inches off for a closer look.

It seems to have an aluminium foil shield and then
some more aluminium braiding, but the core is
strongly attracted to a magnet.

It looks like copper but scraping away reveals steel
of some sort.

Best avoided I suspect.
Old August 11th 19, 01:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_7_]

On 11/08/2019 12:16, Andrew wrote:

I was in Wilco yesterday and noticed their coax
was 40p per metre so I snipped a couple of
inches off for a closer look.

It seems to have an aluminium foil shield and then
some more aluminium braiding, but the core is
strongly attracted to a magnet.

Do you normally carry a magnet round with you in case you come across a
bit of coax in need of testing?

Just asking.
Old August 11th 19, 03:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 11/08/2019 12:45, Norman Wells wrote:
On 11/08/2019 12:16, Andrew wrote:

I was in Wilco yesterday and noticed their coax
was 40p per metre so I snipped a couple of
inches off for a closer look.

It seems to have an aluminium foil shield and then
some more aluminium braiding, but the core is
strongly attracted to a magnet.

Do you normally carry a magnet round with you in case you come across a
bit of coax in need of testing?

Just asking.

Well he obviously carries a wire cutter so he can nick wire.

--
Max Demian
Old August 11th 19, 04:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article , Andrew97d-
says...

I was in Wilco yesterday and noticed their coax
was 40p per metre so I snipped a couple of
inches off for a closer look.

It seems to have an aluminium foil shield and then
some more aluminium braiding, but the core is
strongly attracted to a magnet.

It looks like copper but scraping away reveals steel
of some sort.

Best avoided I suspect.

RG6.

Widely used by cable operators and despised by Bill Wright!

The steel core is copper coated but makes the cable much
stronger - a useful feature in countries like the US where
drop cables really do drop from poles! The use of steel also
makes it much cheaper.

The problem is that RG6 is a cable type whereas CT100 (and its
foam filled offspring like WF100 and PF100) is a rigid
specification.

RG6 comes in a variety of flavours varying considerably in the
amount of screening provided. Bill also claims that the bonded
aluminium screen can crack although I've never encountered it
in the good quality stuff used by cable operators.

When you buy it, though, you have no way of knowing what the
quality is like.

As for performance, though, it is very similar to CT100 et al,
having a loss figure that only deviates from that of CT100 by
a fraction of a dB. Both types are ~20dB per 100 metres at
862MHz.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Old August 11th 19, 04:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 11/08/2019 14:11, Max Demian wrote:
On 11/08/2019 12:45, Norman Wells wrote:
On 11/08/2019 12:16, Andrew wrote:

I was in Wilco yesterday and noticed their coax
was 40p per metre so I snipped a couple of
inches off for a closer look.

It seems to have an aluminium foil shield and then
some more aluminium braiding, but the core is
strongly attracted to a magnet.

Do you normally carry a magnet round with you in case you come across a
bit of coax in need of testing?

Just asking.

Well he obviously carries a wire cutter so he can nick wire.

My local Homebase, which sells various types of wire priced by the
metre, has a suitable cutters on a chain (so nobody walks off with them)
as part of the display. No need to bring your own to snip off a sample
piece.

Of course, if everybody helped themselves to a bit as they went past,
there would eventually be no stock but no sales.

Jim

Old August 11th 19, 05:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Andrew wrote:

I was in Wilco yesterday and noticed their coax
was 40p per metre so I snipped a couple of
inches off for a closer look.

It seems to have an aluminium foil shield and then
some more aluminium braiding, but the core is
strongly attracted to a magnet.

It looks like copper but scraping away reveals steel
of some sort.

If it it RG6U coax, that is what the spec says
Old August 11th 19, 06:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 11 August 2019 15:39:50 UTC+1, Indy Jess John wrote:
[...]

This is usually why supermarkets close in Merseyside...

Jim

Old August 11th 19, 06:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 11/08/2019 12:45, Norman Wells wrote:
On 11/08/2019 12:16, Andrew wrote:

I was in Wilco yesterday and noticed their coax
was 40p per metre so I snipped a couple of
inches off for a closer look.

It seems to have an aluminium foil shield and then
some more aluminium braiding, but the core is
strongly attracted to a magnet.

Do you normally carry a magnet round with you in case you come across a
bit of coax in need of testing?

Just asking.

No, I snipped a couple of inches off and took it home.
Old August 11th 19, 06:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 11/08/2019 14:11, Max Demian wrote:
On 11/08/2019 12:45, Norman Wells wrote:
On 11/08/2019 12:16, Andrew wrote:

I was in Wilco yesterday and noticed their coax
was 40p per metre so I snipped a couple of
inches off for a closer look.

It seems to have an aluminium foil shield and then
some more aluminium braiding, but the core is
strongly attracted to a magnet.

Do you normally carry a magnet round with you in case you come across
a bit of coax in need of testing?

Just asking.

Well he obviously carries a wire cutter so he can nick wire.

There is a pair of wire cutters provided for customers to cut off
the length they need from the bulk reel.
Old August 11th 19, 06:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 11/08/2019 15:00, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , Andrew97d-
says...

[...]

So what is this stuff :-

https://www.toolstation.com/doncaste...e-ct100/p76103

Described as CT100 and satellite cable ?, but it does look as though
it has copper foil and braiding and 75 ohm so must be suitable for
freeview ?.

TV via fibre & copper [email protected] UK digital tv 51 December 23rd 12 04:36 PM
The centre core of coax Bill Wright[_2_] UK digital tv 29 August 18th 11 11:43 AM
Copper Foil dardruba UK digital tv 2 November 17th 10 11:46 PM
Is this MISC the core alt.home-theater.xxx newsgroup? T Home theater (general) 1 October 16th 04 05:34 PM
Solid copper RG 6 Bob Satellite dbs 18 March 3rd 04 11:09 AM