Nothing worth bothering about on tv

Old August 21st 19, 03:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Nothing worth bothering about on tv

"John Hall" wrote in message
news
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen to
tv, despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its all
rubbish, well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm getting a
life?

I think it's the usual mid-summer lull. TV stations tend not to schedule
their best programmes for a time of year when audiences are down owing to
holidays and to people engaging in more outdoor pursuits.

though they are starting their autumn season this weekend, which ISTM is a
week early

tim

Old August 21st 19, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'm sure that has been on before

it has, but I missed it

come to that I missed E1-3 of this set of repeats

tim

Old August 21st 19, 03:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tufnell Park

On 21/08/2019 14:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm too much of a scrooge to subscribe for Telly stuff myself, If there was
a family with diverse interests, then fine but for me, nah..
I also feel that for us older folk who have enquiring minds there is a
tendency for many programs to be simply retreads of better but older
alternatives we have seen. I think there may well be a need for more
technical programming. Maybe there is something like this on Youtube but
sadly not much audio description on that.
I'd like a very detailed look into semiconductor design and manufacture,
or how polymer batteries are made, or perhaps more technical descriptions of
the data collected in space missions.
Brian

You can get those type of programmes on Sky satellite tv, Discovery
Channels, National Geographic, PBS America, i watch those from time to
time but you would have to subscribe and it's probably not worth it for you.

Old August 21st 19, 03:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tufnell Park

On 21/08/2019 14:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm not sure they would be in depth enough explaining doping and the
different diffusion techniques etc.
Brian

In that case youtube.com is probably your best bet, you can search for
videos on most subjects.
Old August 21st 19, 05:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , tim...
writes

"John Hall" wrote in message
news
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen
to tv, despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its
all rubbish, well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm
getting a life?

I think it's the usual mid-summer lull. TV stations tend not to
schedule their best programmes for a time of year when audiences are
down owing to holidays and to people engaging in more outdoor pursuits.

though they are starting their autumn season this weekend, which ISTM
is a week early

tim

Perhaps it's because the Bank Holiday weekend is early this year, the
Monday being the 26th.
--
John Hall
"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come
Old August 21st 19, 11:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 14:49:00 +0100, Tufnell Park
wrote:

[...]

PBS America is on Freeview. Most of the programmes seem to be old BBC
ones.
--
Dave W
Old August 22nd 19, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 21/08/2019 22:57, Dave W wrote:

PBS America is on Freeview. Most of the programmes seem to be old BBC
ones.

On PBS America (Freeview and Freesat) it varies between old BBC and
American content. I watch this channel in preference to BBC1, 2 ITV etc.
but they endlessly repeat the same small selection of programs for
around a month before swapping to another small selection. I've found
that the American made documentaries on things like the American civil
war, prohibition, the history of Jazz, American cult criminals (Butch
Cassidy, Bonny and Clyde etc.), the Wright Brothers and other aircraft
restoration type programs to be fairly well made and not dumbed down.

Old August 22nd 19, 10:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_3_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on September 5, 2019.

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 12:19:47 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 21/08/2019 09:41, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 20:47:20 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I just realised its been over a month since I even bothered to listen to tv,
despite reading the listings of the terrestrial channels, its all rubbish,
well to me it is. Have I changed or is it that I'm getting a life?

Tried BBC 4?

+1

Jim Al-Kalili's series on inventions is rather good, though
the credits say PBS and not BBC.

Without sight, listening to tv sound channels must be a last
resort for most people.

OTOH there is lots on old steam radio.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old August 22nd 19, 10:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

Perhaps worth adding in the circumstances: the youtube-dl computer utility
allows you to just fetch the audio component of an item on YouTube. Thus
makes getting material quicker and easier if you're not wanting the actual
video part.

In article , Tufnell Park
wrote:
On 21/08/2019 14:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm not sure they would be in depth enough explaining doping and the
different diffusion techniques etc. Brian