Freeview volume levels again

Old November 28th 18, 04:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Freeview volume levels again

I really do think we need a volume police on Freeview. Surely they can get
their levels a bit less random than at the moment. all the radio stations
are massively loud but some tv channels are seemingly quiit but still sound
compressed so its not the dynamic range its the actual mean level that is
all over the place.

Old November 29th 18, 11:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 15:21:35 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I really do think we need a volume police on Freeview. Surely they can get
their levels a bit less random than at the moment.

I doubt it. The BBC developed the PPM in 1938, and its Engineering
Training Department were still teaching trainees its proper use in the
1970s, but everything technical seems to have gone downhill ever
since. Now that everyone is accustomed to Youtube and nobody seems to
care, they probably think wild variations in volume and quality are
normal and unavoidable.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old November 29th 18, 05:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes but this affects signal to noise ratios and dynamic range of the
programme matter, After all they used to have to live with stereo FM so/N
but now it seems that most things have a dynamic range of about 20Db max and
they then shove it up and peak limit it as well, no wonder nobody knows what
real good audio is like.
Even the recent remixes of Beatles stuff seems to have in many cases added
extra processing for reasons only known to Giles Martin.

wrote:

I really do think we need a volume police on Freeview. Surely they can get
their levels a bit less random than at the moment.

I doubt it. The BBC developed the PPM in 1938, and its Engineering
Training Department were still teaching trainees its proper use in the
1970s, but everything technical seems to have gone downhill ever
since. Now that everyone is accustomed to Youtube and nobody seems to
care, they probably think wild variations in volume and quality are
normal and unavoidable.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Levels man, the levels! Brian Gaff UK digital tv 5 June 13th 18 06:44 PM
SACD volume levels Alan UK home cinema 5 September 14th 06 01:58 AM
Volume levels of adverts gtl UK digital tv 23 December 1st 05 07:09 PM
Freeview Radio Volume levels Laurie Townsend UK digital tv 11 September 27th 04 11:57 AM
Volume levels on freeview radio. Laurie Townsend UK digital tv 8 December 20th 03 11:57 AM