Do all smart tvs have a wired connector for the internet?

Old December 3rd 18, 12:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_29_]

Default Do all smart tvs have a wired connector for the internet?

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

My samsung can connect by ethernet or wifi.

I think they all can nowadays, but the Great British Public hates the
cost and perceived untidiness of wires and has taken wifi to its bosom.
They'd rather struggle with wifi through thick stone walls than have a
wire, most of them. Tragic innit?

Or, struggle with "why my multiple Super-HD WiFi security cameras, in fixed
locations, which need wires for a power feed anyway ... don't all work
reliably at once" ... I don't know, could it be that you are sucking
up all the available bandwidth for your entire neighbourhood?

I'm not sure some people grasp that the WiFi band is a SHARED service
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old December 3rd 18, 04:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
critcher[_6_]

On 01/12/2018 15:59, Bill Wright wrote:
On 01/12/2018 14:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was talking to somebody yesterday who swears his only works via
wifi, or
in his case won'd wordk as the signal is crap. I'm sure they must all
have a
wired connection surely?
* Brian

What, tellys do you mean? They work by wifi. I've never known anyone
hard wire one to the modem.

Bill

my sony has hard wired and wireless
Old December 5th 18, 02:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 14:34:44 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

What, tellys do you mean? They work by wifi. I've never known anyone
hard wire one to the modem.

Mine is (you mean the router)

Mine is too, well was, until I ran out of ports (on the switch).

Well usually the device is a modem/router. The modem bit sends/receives
the data down the telephone line or cable. The router 'routes' the data
to and from the home devices (though I think it's still called a router
if it has only one connection.)

It's a modem/router/switch. You connect to the switch. You generally
can't get at the interconnect between the switch and the router nor
that between the router and the modem.
Old December 5th 18, 01:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Undrill[_2_]

On 01/12/2018 14:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was talking to somebody yesterday who swears his only works via wifi, or
in his case won'd wordk as the signal is crap. I'm sure they must all have a
wired connection surely?
Brian

I think it is part of the FreeviewHD specification that devices must
have an RJ45 socket. So any device that has the FreeviewHD sticker on it
should have one.

Mark