Another phone question

Old December 6th 18, 02:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default Another phone question

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

some callers were reporting that they couldn't always hear what we said,
even when a handset was used as a normal phone (ie not with a headset),
so we bought a German make (I forget what)

Likely Siemens, later sold off as Gigaset?

Gigaset. That's the name. We had no end of problems with the phones being on
the charger for ages, but as soon as you picked up a handset to answer a
call, it might, at random, report no battery charge - cue hasty scramble
round the house for another handset, in the hope that a) this one would have
charge, and b) the caller hadn't yet rung off. Phones all reported that they
were charging while on the base unit. If you picked up a handset at another
time, it would report full battery - or else very little battery charge
left - totally random.

We bought some new branded (probably Duracell) batteries for each handset to
replace the unbranded ones that were supplied. We went for slightly higher
capacity (in mAhr) so the phones would have longer talk time before needing
to be recharged. When I reported the fault to Gigaset, I got the German
equivalent of "It's your batteries, innit? Stands to reason. You're using
batteries that are too powerful."

Is there any logic in "batteries being too powerful - having too high a mAhr
rating"? As long as they are the same technology (NiCad, LiIon, etc), so
their terminal voltage is correct and decays using the expected battery
curve, then how can you have "too much capacity"?

Gigaset did not seem to want to know about the problem, even when I later
reported that I'd tried with some of the same rating as the ones that were
supplied. Their customer support was very poor.

We should have persisted and returned them to Amazon (our Sale of Goods
contract was with them), or persisted with Gigaset as the manufacturer, but
we were pig-sick of phones that could not be relied on to make or answer
calls - sometimes.

Old December 6th 18, 02:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 6 December 2018 13:21:33 UTC, NY wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

[...]

Most of my Gigaset phones are a decade or more old and I have no trouble with the phones nor batteries.

We did have some difficulty with some phones bought in clearance from Scan (£10 per set!), they were completely flat and would not take charge, but fresh rechargeable batteries (about £1.50p a pair) sorted this.

In general NiCd batteries can suffer from: -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

Old December 6th 18, 03:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

NY wrote:

Gigaset. That's the name. We had no end of problems with the phones

They generally have a good reputation.
Old December 6th 18, 04:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

It says its German, but not a panasonic. I need some eyes to tell what make
it is, it might I guess be a brand engineered one. The second phone has
basically lost a battery connector due to a faulty rechargeable that leaked
and rotted off the bit of metal that makes the battery connector. It could
probably be fixed if somebody could get into it and fashion another bit of
bent metal and solder it to the board.

"Woody" wrote in message
news
On Thu 06/12/2018 10:05, Brian Gaff wrote:
I have a base station and phone that contains a portable phone as a
second
phone. that second phone has now got a fault. What are the chances any
old
walkabout phone will still connect to the hub tranceiver, or how would
one
pair a new handset with such a device. I am told the standard these days,
is, um standard but quite obviously being digital they are somehow
encrypted
and able to channel hop. Or should I just go buy yet another complete
phone
system, and use that. Seems a bit of a waste to me.
Brian

It would probably work as a basic phone but if it is a Panasonic (which it
sounds like) all of the data is contained in the base phone which would
not be able to communicate that data to the handset. I have such a beast
and had a Philips DECT phone registered on it and it worked but no CLI
etc.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 6th 18, 04:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No the handset does not talk but the base does.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Woody wrote:

it worked but no CLI etc.

I assume it's not a talking handset? So CLI probably no so useful for
Brian ...

Old December 6th 18, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 06/12/2018 10:05, Brian Gaff wrote:
What are the chances any old
walkabout phone will still connect to the hub tranceiver, or how would one
pair a new handset with such a device.

I have never tried it myself. However there is a guide on youtube.
There is a visual, but I have just played it with my eyes shut, and the
voice-over does seem to describe how to do it.

A. you need a GAP compliant DECT handset. I think they all are nowadays.
B. you need to know the base station code. Unless you have changed it,
the default described should work.

The video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODnhA9KmZ4o

Good luck.
Jim
Old December 6th 18, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 06/12/2018 17:18, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 06/12/2018 10:05, Brian Gaff wrote:
What are the chances any old
walkabout phone will still connect to the hub tranceiver, or how would one
pair a new handset with such a device.

I have never tried it myself. However there is a guide on youtube.
There is a visual, but I have just played it with my eyes shut, and the
voice-over does seem to describe how to do it.

A. you need a GAP compliant DECT handset. I think they all are nowadays.
B. you need to know the base station code. Unless you have changed it,
the default described should work.

The video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODnhA9KmZ4o

Good luck.
Jim

Sorry Brian.
I have just gone back over the thread, and you said the base unit talks
to you but not the portable handset.
The video wants the user to find the register screen on the new portable
unit. If the portable handset doesn't talk to you, you are going to
need the help of a sighted person to identify when the screen says it is
the register screen.

Mea culpa :-(

Jim

Old December 8th 18, 02:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 05:30:44 -0800 (PST), R. Mark Clayton
wrote:

We did have some difficulty with some phones bought in clearance from Scan (10 per set!),

I learnt a long time ago not to buy stuff from Scan.
Somebody obvious made a typo. when naming the company - the two keys are
adjacent though.
Old December 8th 18, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

We did have some difficulty with some phones bought in clearance from Scan (£10 per set!),

I learnt a long time ago not to buy stuff from Scan.
Somebody obvious made a typo. when naming the company - the two keys are
adjacent though.

Well not my experience at all. I bought all the components of this PC, except the motherboard (which they did not sell) from Scan as well as 2 4k monitors and various accessories - no problem with any of them and good prices.. OTOH I live within driving distance and buy over the counter.

Scan were named as "best online retailer 2018" by PC Pro
https://www.alphr.com/technology/100...ce-awards-2018
and they have a collected a few others in recent years https://www.scan.co.uk/info/awards

There is a Royal Warrant displayed near the counter - I don't think you get one of these by accident!