Must be OT - Ch 5 double recording

Old December 9th 18, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default Must be OT - Ch 5 double recording

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 11:11:56 -0000, "NY" wrote:

But C5 don't always series two halves of a film split with a news
bulletin.

The split-film problem on CH5 is a nuisance. You set a film to record and
find you've only got the first half. I didn't know the two halves were
listed as parts of a series so you could get them both by doing a series
record. I'll have to check. I've always manually added the two parts as
separate events.

Wouldn't recording them as two separate events result in two separate
files? This is what happens with my Panasonic, so I just select the
first part and amend the out point manually to be after the second
part and I get one big file including the news report. After editing
out the unwanted stuff - adverts and news - it just plays from start
to end of the movie as normal.

Yes that's another way to do it - and I've done it like that in the past.
Nowadays if I make two overlapping recordings I just join the files together
and edit out the overlap and the intervening news - VideoRedo is good for
doing that.

Old December 9th 18, 01:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 09/12/18 11:21, NY wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/12/2018 15:56, PeterC wrote:

The best way to avoid this problem is to use a method which records all
programmes which include a specific phrase in the title, rather than using a
Series Record which is at the mercy of the ID number that the broadcaster
provides. Some computer software or PVR firmware allows this. It's also
useful for scheduling a programme which has been announced on (for example)
Digiguide but is too far ahead for the 8-day over-the-air listings. It saves
having to remember to add it later when it has finally come into the OTA
listings.

Won't "specific phrase" recording also add the +1 repeats, and any other
repeats (such as on "More 4" when Channel 4 has shown it earlier in the
week)?

I can't say I've seen an issue with series recording over the 8-day EPG
list with our Panasonic. For example, we have "Neighbours" set up to
series record and it just does it for months without problem. Even if
the 13:45 programme has been missed for some reason, it just
automatically records the repeat later in the day on Ch5.

--

Jeff
Old December 9th 18, 02:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/12/2018 12:28, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Anomalous situations
are a nuisance, but there's usually a way of dealing with them.

A lesson for life.

Old December 9th 18, 04:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
critcher[_6_]

On 09/12/2018 11:11, NY wrote:
"Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" wrote in
message .co.uk...
Every time I set Ch. 5 to record a film it also sets the repeat
or first showing of it. It's the only channel to do so.
This is on a Humax Foxsat HDR.

Also happens with Sky Q, so clearly by design of C5.

But C5 don't always series two halves of a film split with a news
bulletin.

The split-film problem on CH5 is a nuisance. You set a film to record
and find you've only got the first half. I didn't know the two halves
were listed as parts of a series so you could get them both by doing a
series record. I'll have to check. I've always manually added the two
parts as separate events.

not so bad as their imposing Pic in Pic to advertise another program,
near the end of a film, and then going back to the film after the ad.
Old December 9th 18, 05:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Sun, 09 Dec 2018 10:24:21 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 23:04:12 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 08/12/2018 15:56, PeterC wrote:
Sorry about posting TV stuff.
Every time I set Ch. 5 to record a film it also sets the repeat or first
showing of it. It's the only channel to do so. Damned nuisance, as it
sometimes clashes with another scheduled programme. Sometimes I have to
remove the film and then remember to re-set it later, after the first
showing has passed.
This is on a Humax Foxsat HDR.

Any clues, please?

Channel 5 don't understand series link. You often get the repeats as
well. Better not to set series link, though you might also get it with
split programmes like films, and you may not be able to control this.

I've never a problem recording a series from Ch5, including recording programs
split into two parts using a Humax HDR1100S 1TB.
.

Neither have I - that's not the problem. It seems to be treating 2x2-part
films as 1 film: it'll set both parts with just 'Record' set on the first
part and then, if the film is repeated a few days later those 2 parts are
also selected.
This leads to clashes so, if the clash is on the 2nd. iteration of the film
I have to remember to deselect the 2nd. one and set the other programme that
I wanted.
If the clash is on the 1st. one I then have select the 2nd. one after the
1st. has been on.
There are some weird thing - once wanted a series that was both evening and
daytime; evening would take the series but clashed and daytime would take
only single recordings. Can't recall the channel - I just didn't bother to
do it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 9th 18, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

[...]

My Humaxes produce multiple files for split programmes, but I think my
Panasonic stitches them together.

--
Max Demian
Old December 10th 18, 10:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_3_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on December 24, 2018.

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 18:18:06 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

[...]

My Humax too
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

SONY Double Layer DVD Writer - DRX-700UL External UK? David Longley UK home cinema 50 May 31st 04 11:39 AM
Yamaha RX-V640 RDS double central speaker andre Home theater (general) 0 May 26th 04 12:48 AM
Double sided dvds barry UK home cinema 6 April 2nd 04 12:39 PM
Double or Nothing Triffid UK sky 0 March 30th 04 02:29 AM
FA: NEW Radio Shack Double Bow Tie Antenna UHF HDTV 15-623 Alex Moore High definition TV 8 March 19th 04 01:37 PM