Can I use an rf splitter backwards?

Old May 8th 09, 07:24 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz

Default Can I use an rf splitter backwards?

I know it seems silly, but I have one cable coming in from the
outside, currently in use as a Cox cable input, and I don't want to
drill any holes through my wall. I have an old tv antenna outside
which I would like to connect to my HDTV antenna input. I'm thinking
about combining the Cox input with the antenna input using a splitter
backwards as a combiner running it all through the one cable. If that
worked I could run it into both my tv antenna and my cable box. Then I
could cancel the HDTV subscription and get the cheapest Cox digital
hookup they have while getting the local mainstream HDTV channels over
the air.

The question is, will that work?

--Lynn

http://math.asu.edu/~kurtz
Old May 8th 09, 08:42 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
QN[_3_]

The splitter will combine them, but chances are the cable and antenna have
signals on the same frequency. Thus, the outcome fails.

In some locations the local channels are strong enough to use "rabbit ears"
on the HDTV.

I would drill the second hole.

Old May 8th 09, 08:55 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
robinlos

On May 8, 1:24*pm, "[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz" wrote:
I know it seems silly, but I have one cable coming in from the
outside, currently in use as a Cox cable input, and I don't want to
drill any holes through my wall. *I have an old tv antenna outside
which I would like to connect to my HDTV antenna input. I'm thinking
about combining the Cox input with the antenna input using a splitter
backwards as a combiner running it all through the one cable. If that
worked I could run it into both my tv antenna and my cable box. Then I
could cancel the HDTV subscription and get the cheapest Cox digital
hookup they have while getting the local mainstream HDTV channels over
the air.

The question is, will that work?

--Lynn

http://math.asu.edu/~kurtz

If you had a suficient length of 300 ohm twinlead, you could bring the
antenna in through a window, or, possibly through the existing hole.
Old May 8th 09, 08:59 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Fri, 08 May 2009 10:24:48 -0700, [Mr.] Lynn Kurtz wrote:

I know it seems silly, but I have one cable coming in from the outside,
currently in use as a Cox cable input, and I don't want to drill any
holes through my wall. I have an old tv antenna outside which I would
like to connect to my HDTV antenna input. I'm thinking about combining
the Cox input with the antenna input using a splitter backwards as a
combiner running it all through the one cable. If that worked I could
run it into both my tv antenna and my cable box. Then I could cancel the
HDTV subscription and get the cheapest Cox digital hookup they have
while getting the local mainstream HDTV channels over the air.

The question is, will that work?

Not really, since Cox probably uses the same frequencies as the antenna.
If they don't use the same then it would work. However, you shouldn't
need an antenna to get the local HD stations. They should be on the Cox
cable already, and as long as your TV is QAM tuner capable, just split
the raw cable feed and run one direct to the tv rf inoput.

Old May 8th 09, 09:05 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Mike rock

I already tried that, it does not work. The cable signal far
overpowers the antenna signal. I ran a seperate coax from my antenna
into my RF input of my TV, and my cable coax goes into my cable box,
then out to the TV using HDMI. So I have to switch inputs on my TV to
view OTA or cable. It works better like that.
Old May 8th 09, 09:24 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
UCLAN

[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz wrote:

I know it seems silly, but I have one cable coming in from the
outside, currently in use as a Cox cable input, and I don't want to
drill any holes through my wall. I have an old tv antenna outside
which I would like to connect to my HDTV antenna input. I'm thinking
about combining the Cox input with the antenna input using a splitter
backwards as a combiner running it all through the one cable. If that
worked I could run it into both my tv antenna and my cable box. Then I
could cancel the HDTV subscription and get the cheapest Cox digital
hookup they have while getting the local mainstream HDTV channels over
the air.

The question is, will that work?

No. Your Cox cable and antenna use the many of the same frequencies.

However, your local HDTV and SD stations will be "Clear QAM" on your
Cox cable. No digital subscription necessary. All you need is the analog
tier.
Old May 8th 09, 10:58 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

UCLAN wrote:
[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily. Here in CT Cox is scrambling the local hd QAM channels.

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Old May 8th 09, 11:12 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Fri, 08 May 2009 12:05:55 -0700, Mike rock wrote:

I already tried that, it does not work. The cable signal far overpowers
the antenna signal. I ran a seperate coax from my antenna into my RF
input of my TV, and my cable coax goes into my cable box, then out to
the TV using HDMI. So I have to switch inputs on my TV to view OTA or
cable. It works better like that.

This is not 2 way communications. If you expect anyone to understand what
it is you tried and didn't work, you need to quote the person you are
responding to. There are literally millions of people that get their
local stations in HD direct from the cable co cable, without the use of
any cable co equipment or an antenna.

Old May 9th 09, 12:23 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
CLicker[_2_]

"[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz" wrote in message
[...]

Cox may be different than TWC in my area.
For a while, I used the antenna to pick up those channels
(especially HDTV) which TWC did not carry. As time went by TWC
eventually delivered all OTA HDTV English language channels and
most OTA SD channels (save ION). So I've abandoned the antenna
and simply use TWC basic.
Whilst I used the antenna, I used an A/B switch, as a combiner
does not work for this purpose.

Old May 9th 09, 01:58 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz

On Fri, 8 May 2009 21:12:29 +0000 (UTC), Wes Newell
wrote:

On Fri, 08 May 2009 12:05:55 -0700, Mike rock wrote:

I already tried that, it does not work. The cable signal far overpowers
the antenna signal. I ran a seperate coax from my antenna into my RF
input of my TV, and my cable coax goes into my cable box, then out to
the TV using HDMI. So I have to switch inputs on my TV to view OTA or
cable. It works better like that.

This is not 2 way communications. If you expect anyone to understand what
it is you tried and didn't work, you need to quote the person you are
responding to. There are literally millions of people that get their
local stations in HD direct from the cable co cable, without the use of
any cable co equipment or an antenna.

First, thanks to all who have replied. Yes, I know that Cox supplies
the major local channels unscrambled over the cable. I thought OTA
might be noticably better because of signal compression but I don't
know that. Also I'm not sure how far down the subscription tiers I can
go and still get the unscrambled QAM channels. UCLAN mentioned I need
only the analog tier. Could I go further and cancel all the cable tv
except their internet service, and still have those channels be there
on the cable? Cox in our area is now providing digital channels 1-99
unscrambled and available without a cable box, but that may just be
because I currently subscribe to the minimal HDTV service. Would I
lose those?

--Lynn

http://math.asu.edu/~kurtz