How to find true south

Old March 26th 13, 07:29 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.dbs

Default How to find true south

Patty Winter wrote:
could find out when local noon is at your house (try the Naval
Observatory's website) and see where the sun is at that time.

I enjoyed using a wall of my house as a sundial, especially since I was
installing solar panels, and I wanted to use a solar caluclator to predict
the output.

http://www.gcstudio.com/suncalc.html

A few observations around the time that the shadow was cast directly along
the line of the house let me know the orientation of the house.

Today at my location, due south: Transit at 12:15:39
Today, the shadow will fall along my wall at about 1:45

Old October 19th 13, 12:12 PM
RogerRios RogerRios is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Patty Winter wrote:
could find out when local noon is at your house (try the Naval
Observatory's website) and see where the sun is at that time.

I enjoyed using a wall of my house as a sundial, especially since I was
installing
solar panels, and I wanted to use a solar caluclator to predict
the output.

http://www.gcstudio.com/suncalc.html

A few observations around the time that the shadow was cast directly along
the line of the house let me know the orientation of the house.

Today at my location, due south: Transit at 12:15:39
Today, the shadow will fall along my wall at about 1:45

Great work done..i will try to implement similar panels and try to observe the orientation of shadow

Last edited by RogerRios : October 20th 13 at 06:13 PM.