BBC/ITV Freesat...Do I need a Freesat Card for my SKY box ? Do I needa Freesat Box ?

Old April 28th 08, 01:25 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Sky dish of the day

Default BBC/ITV Freesat...Do I need a Freesat Card for my SKY box ? Do I needa Freesat Box ?

I already have SKY FTA card in my SKY box.

Can I receive the new May '08 BBC/ITV Freesat on this box, with or
without a Freesat card ?

Or do I also have to buy a Freesat box ?

Old April 28th 08, 01:34 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
John Russell

"Sky dish of the day" wrote in message
I already have SKY FTA card in my SKY box.

Can I receive the new May '08 BBC/ITV Freesat on this box, with or
without a Freesat card ?

Or do I also have to buy a Freesat box ?

No broadcaster wants to pay for separate transposnders for SKY and Freesat.
So either box wiill do.

P.S. Those channels contracted to use SKY encryption will have to offer both
encrypted and uncrypted Freesat versions until their sky contract ends. When
those contracts end the uncrypted version will be the only one supplied and
the one accessed via either EPG.

Old April 28th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Commander Gideon

"John Russell" wrote in message

"Sky dish of the day" wrote in message
I already have SKY FTA card in my SKY box.

Can I receive the new May '08 BBC/ITV Freesat on this box, with or
without a Freesat card ?

Or do I also have to buy a Freesat box ?

No broadcaster wants to pay for separate transposnders for SKY and
Freesat. So either box wiill do.

P.S. Those channels contracted to use SKY encryption will have to offer
both encrypted and uncrypted Freesat versions until their sky contract
ends. When those contracts end the uncrypted version will be the only one
supplied and the one accessed via either EPG.

Ch4 are testing for FTA but no sign of FIVE tests yet unless i am mistaken!

Old April 28th 08, 03:19 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Brian McIlwrath

Commander Gideon wrote:

: Ch4 are testing for FTA but no sign of FIVE tests yet unless i am mistaken!

There have been no indications that Five will go FTA any time soon!

Old April 28th 08, 04:59 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
The dog from that film you saw

"Sky dish of the day" wrote in message
I already have SKY FTA card in my SKY box.

Can I receive the new May '08 BBC/ITV Freesat on this box, with or
without a Freesat card ?

Or do I also have to buy a Freesat box ?

nothing changes - the 'freesat' boxes will be receiving exactly the same
broadcasts - not an extra, different one.

--
Gareth.

That fly, is your magic wand.....

Old April 28th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Zero Tolerance

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:59:40 +0100, "The dog from that film you saw"
wrote:

nothing changes - the 'freesat' boxes will be receiving exactly the same
broadcasts - not an extra, different one.

However, the 'BBC/ITV Freesat' box will only list channels that have
paid to be featured, so the tens/hundreds of other FTA channels
available on Sky will not be viewable at all.

Of course for some channels, this might be a good thing.
Old April 29th 08, 09:38 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
John Russell

wrote:

nothing changes - the 'freesat' boxes will be receiving exactly the same
broadcasts - not an extra, different one.

However, the 'BBC/ITV Freesat' box will only list channels that have
paid to be featured, so the tens/hundreds of other FTA channels
available on Sky will not be viewable at all.

Of course for some channels, this might be a good thing.
--

How many of the those FTA channels pay to be on SKY's EPG? I do hope the
BBC have specified a Manual mode for non-epg channels like SKY have.

Old April 29th 08, 12:16 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Zero Tolerance

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:38:44 +0100, "John Russell"
wrote:

How many of the those FTA channels pay to be on SKY's EPG?

Almost all of them.

I do hope the
BBC have specified a Manual mode for non-epg channels like SKY have.

No. It is not possible to tune in any FTA channels that have not paid
the BBC to be listed on the Freesat EPG.

Old April 29th 08, 01:37 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
Brian McIlwrath

Zero Tolerance wrote:
: How many of the those FTA channels pay to be on SKY's EPG?

: Almost all of them.

Actually more than have paid to be on Freesat so far! AFAIK *all* FTA
channels on Freesat are on Sky - but the reverse is not true!

: No. It is not possible to tune in any FTA channels that have not paid
: the BBC to be listed on the Freesat EPG.

This may change. People in several forums are still convinced that EU
rules means that STBs cannot block FTA channels - but no-one can quite
find the reference!
Old April 29th 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky
John Russell

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
Zero Tolerance wrote:
: How many of the those FTA channels pay to be on SKY's EPG?

: Almost all of them.

Actually more than have paid to be on Freesat so far! AFAIK *all* FTA
channels on Freesat are on Sky - but the reverse is not true!

: No. It is not possible to tune in any FTA channels that have not paid
: the BBC to be listed on the Freesat EPG.

This may change. People in several forums are still convinced that EU
rules means that STBs cannot block FTA channels - but no-one can quite
find the reference!

The only reference I can find is to legislation requiring competition in
Digital TV supply. It should be noted that the costs of running so called
FTA channels have to found from somewhere, they are not free to run! In the
case of the BBC it's by Licence, in the case of others it might be
advertising. The BBC would be allowed to say that running Freesat has costs
which other FTA channels must pay for to be accessed by it. As long as users
have a choice the EU doesn't care. If the UK government was only legislating
to only allow Freesat to operate then they would be in breach of EU
competition law.

Freesat HD housetrained[_2_] High definition TV 1 September 16th 07 09:00 PM
Sky + Box with a Freesat Card Mr Muffin Top UK sky 22 August 6th 07 07:08 PM
Freesat card for existing customers? Brian W UK sky 1 July 1st 07 01:05 PM
Freesat card roger lewis UK sky 6 April 24th 07 08:37 PM
Can not find Channel 4 or five with my freesat card Jomtien UK sky 9 March 30th 05 10:31 PM