Freesat/Freesat from Sky and Freesat TV

Old January 18th 10, 01:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith[_2_]

Default Freesat/Freesat from Sky and Freesat TV

All,

Apologies for returning to a question probably asked before...

I'm considering buying a TV with a built in Freesat decoder (not for the
Freesat, for the other bits this model TV has). At present I have no
satellite dish but I'm more than capable of installing one if I can be
bothered.

Looking at the Freesat vs "Freesat from Sky" offering, there are a couple of
channels which I might want from the "Sky" package but is it possible to
watch "Freesat from Sky" on a Freesat TV or am I limited to the Freesat
offerings? Note I'm explicitly NOT intending to pay Mr Murdoch so "yes if
you buy the Sky one-off fee" is not an option. I was thinking about just
tweaking the satelite setup on the TV.

Also, can anyone suggest a site which would indicate any foreign channels
which would be watchable from a Freesat set?

Thakns,
Paul DS.

Old January 18th 10, 01:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
All,

Apologies for returning to a question probably asked before...

I'm considering buying a TV with a built in Freesat decoder (not for the
Freesat, for the other bits this model TV has). At present I have no
satellite dish but I'm more than capable of installing one if I can be
bothered.

Looking at the Freesat vs "Freesat from Sky" offering, there are a couple
of channels which I might want from the "Sky" package but is it possible
to watch "Freesat from Sky" on a Freesat TV or am I limited to the Freesat
offerings? Note I'm explicitly NOT intending to pay Mr Murdoch so "yes if
you buy the Sky one-off fee" is not an option. I was thinking about just
tweaking the satelite setup on the TV.

Also, can anyone suggest a site which would indicate any foreign channels
which would be watchable from a Freesat set?

Freesat is not a transmission it is an EPG.
Sky Free or what ever it called, is also an EPG.
They just arrange to have some same stations on and different ones.

My Panasonic Freesat built in TV has the ability to have me program in other
stations that are are not on the Freesat EPG.
Indeed I have a moveable dish and thus I can programmed from other satellite
positions.
Being a HD set it gets the BBC HD channel and ITV1 when in HD too.
The other satellite option allows me to get HD tv stations too.
NB. only stations that are clear to view, no card or subscription needed.

Hope I explained that OK.
Regards
David

Old January 18th 10, 02:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 18 Jan, 13:22, "Paul D.Smith" wrote:
[snip]
Looking at the Freesat vs "Freesat from Sky" offering, there are a couple of
channels which I might want from the "Sky" package

which channels? If FTV (encrypted), the answer is almost certainly no.

which Freesat TV? If it has a non-Freesat mode, or lets you add non-
Freesat channels you can watch any FTA channels your dish can see
(unless they have weird non-supported transmission parameters).

Cheers,
David.
Old January 18th 10, 02:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith[_2_]

wrote in message
On 18 Jan, 13:22, "Paul D.Smith" wrote:
[snip]
Looking at the Freesat vs "Freesat from Sky" offering, there are a couple
of
channels which I might want from the "Sky" package

which channels? If FTV (encrypted), the answer is almost certainly no.

which Freesat TV? If it has a non-Freesat mode, or lets you add non-
Freesat channels you can watch any FTA channels your dish can see
(unless they have weird non-supported transmission parameters).

Cheers,
David.

Need to sort out a list. Is there a table somewhere on the web indicating
which are FTV (encrypted) or is that basically every station covered by the
Sky "Freesat from Sky" package?

Panasonic freesat TV is the TV I'm looking and and, according to the other
David, they can be configured to pick up some other channels.

Paul DS.

Old January 18th 10, 03:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian[_3_]

Paul D.Smith wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

The FTV channels are, Sky3, fiveUS, fiveUS+1, fiver & fiver+1. five is
also FTV on a sky box but FTA on Freesat.

--
Adrian
Old January 18th 10, 03:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_4_]

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:23:25 +0000, Paul D.Smith asked:

Need to sort out a list. Is there a table somewhere on the web
indicating which are FTV (encrypted) or is that basically every station
covered by the Sky "Freesat from Sky" package?

Go to http://www.lyngsat.COM/28east.html and look at the list there.

Listings in yellow are all Free To Air -- no card required.

There is a list at

http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.UK/Sat/SkyFTA.htm

which shows which stations on the $ky EPG are Free To View ie require
a viewing authorization card from B$kyB but do not require a subscription.

Have you tried doing a web search yourself to find other FTV/FTA lists
eg the official one from B$kyB at

http://www.sky.COM/portal/site/skyco...kytv/channels/
freetoair
Old January 18th 10, 05:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

[...]

Freesat is essentially the same as a single satellite FTV receiver with the
$ky EPG bolted on.

On my Freeview set you get a couple of hundred channels which appear in the
$ky EPG type listing with fixed channel numbers.

You also get a long list of several hundred "other" channels including all
the EPG ones. Their numbers change on rescan, as on an FTV satellite
receiver.

I haven't tried a scan on another satellite (having steered the dish with my
receiver) as it will probably just confuse the set.

Old January 18th 10, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

Freesat is essentially the same as a single satellite FTV receiver with
the $ky EPG bolted on.

No, Freesat as nothing to do with Sky.
http://www.freesat.co.uk/

Regards
David

Old January 18th 10, 06:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

You know this epg lark is a bit silly. I mean, none of these folk allow
blind people to use their epg, because when they wrote the specs they
allowed for audio description, but in true half baked fashion, not any kind
of speech enabled epg option. Now arguably, one might say that this was for
the set and box manufacturers to do, but since the format presumably is in
some spec, and since again presumably, pvrs and the like can readily machine
read this data, it seems very odd that at the very least one cannot simply
select simplified forms of the epg and have them spoken.

Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!

Old January 18th 10, 06:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Adrian wrote:
..
The FTV channels are, Sky3, fiveUS, fiveUS+1, fiver & fiver+1. five is
also FTV on a sky box but FTA on Freesat.

In fact Region 2 of Five is FTA (that's the stream that 'BBC' Freesat uses)
and Sky boxes with cards that are postcode registered in the southern half of
England (excl London), plus Wales. Annoyingly without a viewing card, Sky
boxes revert Ch 105 to Region 1, the London stream that is FTV encrypted, so
you need a card to view it, or else add the Reg 2 FTA stream to 'Other Channels'.

The most notable FTA exception from BBC Freesat is Sky News.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk

Freesat or Sky HD? Trent SC UK digital tv 12 May 29th 08 09:44 AM
BBC/ITV Freesat...Do I need a Freesat Card for my SKY box ? Do I needa Freesat Box ? Sky dish of the day UK sky 14 May 6th 08 03:00 PM
FreeSat, (the BBC/Itv one) David UK digital tv 9 April 12th 08 12:42 PM
The new Freesat David UK digital tv 19 February 20th 08 12:45 AM
BBC Freesat Robert UK digital tv 12 August 6th 06 07:23 AM