Handbrake...

Old June 12th 19, 01:45 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

Default Handbrake...

I'm about to update a couple of machines by giving them a new SSD and
installing a newer version of the distros I prefer. Doing this on another
machine recently has raised a couple of questions in my mind when using
Handbrake to convert DVD iso images into convenient AV files.

Q1) Where does Handbrake store the 'settings' for the various conversion
profiles you can set up and keep? Knowing may simplify setting up Handbrake
on a new install as I'm hoping it might be possible to copy the relevant
files across. (In part this prompted by the way I've found the GUI changes
from old distro to new, meaning more searching to find out how to select
things, etc.).

Following on from the parenthetical part of above...

Q2) When starting to use an install of my 'new' preferred distro on an old
laptop I found that it wanted for one ISO image to take an hour to convert
into a file. This was to output the video as H264. However if I changed
this to mpeg-4 the time went down to less than half this time.* So I chose
mpeg-4 instead. But this raises a set of sub-questions, the main one,
being:

Does choosing mpeg-4 rather than H264 mean a poorer picture quality in the
the result having left other settings unchanged?

The number and type of options is quite large. So I get a 'lost in space'
feeling'. On the past install I recall spending some time experimenting to
find what seemed the set of options/settings I preferred. I do still have
the removed old disc, and can read it, hence another reason to wonder about
Q1. I do wish, though, that the developers wouldn't keep altering the GUI,
etc, as it means more work to find things when I make a change!

Basically, I want a decent group of settings for home-recorded discs from
two types of recorder of different eras. One needs me to 'force' the aspect
ratio, the other doesn't. In generally I pass though the audio (always
stereo for these).

Or do they also change how the settings are specified so old settings can't
be used as were? (sigh!)

Jim

* Yes, the laptop is slow and old. But convenient as I can leave it to
chung its way though a set of conversions while I use other machines for
other things.

Old June 12th 19, 02:26 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.tech.digital-tv
Huge

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on June 26, 2019.

On 2019-06-12, Jim Lesurf wrote:

Q1) Where does Handbrake store the 'settings' for the various conversion
profiles you can set up and keep? Knowing may simplify setting up Handbrake
on a new install as I'm hoping it might be possible to copy the relevant
files across. (In part this prompted by the way I've found the GUI changes
from old distro to new, meaning more searching to find out how to select
things, etc.).

I know nothing about Handbrake, but I'd be inclined to (assuming it has
such a thing) get into its configuration editor and use 'lsof' to see
what it has open.

--
Today is Pungenday, the 17th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3185
Rising above bedlam
Old June 12th 19, 02:27 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.tech.digital-tv
Huge

On 2019-06-12, Jim Lesurf wrote:

Q1) Where does Handbrake store the 'settings' for the various conversion
profiles you can set up and keep?

Another thought;

find ~ -name "*andbrake*"

Old June 12th 19, 02:39 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.tech.digital-tv
Aragorn

On 12.06.2019 at 13:45, Jim Lesurf scribbled:

I'm about to update a couple of machines by giving them a new SSD and
installing a newer version of the distros I prefer. Doing this on
another machine recently has raised a couple of questions in my mind
when using Handbrake to convert DVD iso images into convenient AV
files.

Q1) Where does Handbrake store the 'settings' for the various
conversion profiles you can set up and keep? Knowing may simplify
setting up Handbrake on a new install as I'm hoping it might be
possible to copy the relevant files across. (In part this prompted by
the way I've found the GUI changes from old distro to new, meaning
more searching to find out how to select things, etc.).

I don't know Handbrake, but likely candidates would be...

- $HOME/.handbrake
- $HOME/.config/handbrake
- $HOME/.local/handbrake

Check for all three, just to be certain. It is possible for
applications to store data both under ~/.config and ~/.local.

Following on from the parenthetical part of above...

Q2) When starting to use an install of my 'new' preferred distro on
an old laptop I found that it wanted for one ISO image to take an
hour to convert into a file. This was to output the video as H264.
However if I changed this to mpeg-4 the time went down to less than
half this time.* So I chose mpeg-4 instead. But this raises a set of
sub-questions, the main one, being:

Does choosing mpeg-4 rather than H264 mean a poorer picture quality
in the the result having left other settings unchanged?

No, it shouldn't affect the quality, but H264 has a much higher
compression ratio so as to allow for lower bitrates without quality
loss, and lossless compression does take lots of CPU cycles.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Old June 12th 19, 03:40 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin Gregorie[_2_]

On 2019-06-12, Jim Lesurf wrote:

Q1) Where does Handbrake store the 'settings' for the various
conversion profiles you can set up and keep?

Another thought;

find ~ -name "*andbrake*"

Under Fedora " sudo dnf list handbrake* " shows an RPM package in the
RPMFusion repository. Home seems to be https://handbrake.fr/ but contains
almost no documentation. Since it has a command-line version, there may
be a manpage for it in one of the downloads, but it has to be said that
hanfbrake.fr is one of the few homepages I've seen that doesn't make full
documentation available.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org