It's that conversation again.

Old June 12th 19, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default It's that conversation again.

Yes well sometimes they can be handy, but it very much depends. For example
back in the4 early days of vcrs the Philips 1501 was what we all wanted.
There was one on special offer in a local department store. It worked
perfectly. However since it was cheaper than it should be I paid for five
years extended warranty. and a good job I did I got a man in after 5 or so
months cos the lacing chord broke he also cleaned up all the rubber bits, a
couple of months later there was pulsating noise even though the machine had
been cleaned, round comes the man in his suit with an attaché case of all
the commonly failing spares. A new head drum fixed the problem, and he also
changed the lacing chord again as it was frayed and cleaned the rubber and
tested it all worked. It was now actually better than it was when new. This
went on for the whole five years until I decided to do the N1700 mod and got
one of those as well but that was never offered with service but it was very
reliable. A tank yes but very reliable. The 1501 needed a set of new
rectifiers on one of the pcbs as those funny light grey/green ones tended to
go intermittent with age and the wires fell off.
I consider we got far more use out of that machine than a later Toshiba
Betamax that kept on going back to base for certain illnesses in its trick
play features until I got fed up and they swapped it for a Sony C9 which
luckily was very reliable.

All good fun. I also paid a few extra quid for a recording Panasonic walkman
no quibble replacement which I had to invoke when a horse trod on it in the
park...
Don't ask.

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
It's that conversation again.

To set the scene: five minutes earlier I'd bought a new dishwasher using
the Internet.

Ring ring, ring ring. It was a young lady from the retailer. At first she
went through a checklist to make sure I'd bought what I thought I'd
bought, that I knew my address and phone number, all that sort of stuff.
Of course it was just a way of ingratiating herself. Before long she got
down to the real business: selling an extended warranty.
"What was wrong with your old machine?"
"It was very old indeed and it has multiple organ failure."
This wasn't the right answer because it didn't lead easily into the next
bit of her script, but she gamely pressed on.
"But just suppose it had developed a serious fault when it wasn't so old?"
"I would have rung my local repair man."
"But suppose he was on holiday, or ill, or something?"
"No worries, I have a standby dishwasher."
"Really? What make is it?"
"Spaniel."
"Err, I don't know that make I don't think, err."
"It's common enough. I had a Labrador as well but it broke down completely
last year."
"Err, well." At this point she got down to the hard sell. The figure was
£6.99.
"Is that per year?"
[Intake of breath] "No, it's per calendar month."
"So it's £84 per year? When do I start to pay it?"
"We can get the direct debit mandate emailed to you right now."
"But the machine has a two year manufacturer's warranty."
"Yes but that doesn't cover you for accidental damage."
"I can't think of a scenario in which I'd accidentally damage a dishwasher
to the point where it wouldn't function."
"Well strange things happen sir. Suppose a car came through your wall,
smashed it to bits? We did have a client who."
"Or indeed a meteor, or a herd of wildebeest?"
"Yes, exactly."
"Can I explain something? Years ago I realised that extended warranties
were very poor value for money. So I don't ever buy one."
"Yes look, OK, well. you're an older gentleman, am I right, and I know
that sometimes people do get set in their ways."
[Splutter] "Actually I'm not Set In My Ways. It's just that I've done my
research and I've decided that I'd be better putting that seven quid in
the bank every month and using the account to pay for any repairs."
"But it would take you ten years to save up enough to buy a new machine.
It will very likely become unrepairable long before then, and if it did we
would give you a brand new machine absolutely free!"
"Your advert says that the machine is 'engineered for a twenty year
lifespan.' Is that a lie?"
"I wish you well and we hope you enjoy your purchase sir. Is there
anything else I can help you with?"